• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shaun King as our offensive coordinator?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

I think why we went more conservative is that the coaches felt we could do that vs the teams Illinois, ECU, Umass and Tulsa and still win and they were correct.  Expect more conservative play vs Uconn.

I guess we start to open it up vs Houston and hope we catch them sleeping thinking we play very conservative and not look at Gtech game film.

But to the point to where it almost costs our team multiple losses to conference opponents? I thought that, too, at first but that essentially makes it seem like those games are less important, when in reality they’re not and it’s been a theme week after week. 

Edited by OcalaBull2

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

Saving plays will hurt us. If you don’t regularly do these Plays in games it could be a disaster in games 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

14 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

I think why we went more conservative is that the coaches felt we could do that vs the teams Illinois, ECU, Umass and Tulsa and still win and they were correct.  Expect more conservative play vs Uconn.

I guess we start to open it up vs Houston and hope we catch them sleeping thinking we play very conservative and not look at Gtech game film.

So you're suggesting that we can suddenly play 4th quarter football for 4 quarters when we go to Houston? I hope you're right.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I don't like Gilbert, let me start there.

But, I wonder if there is something else going on (like a deep-ball happy QB). It's not uncommon for a lot of plays to have a deep route. Is our QB just focusing on that one route and neglecting the other receivers until it becomes very obvious that he has to do something else?

The OL isn't great, but, trying to hold the ball until something deep develops certainly doesn't help them out. It's either on Gilbert or Barnett. I just don't know which one if making those decisions. I also think Gilbert needs to head to the booth. Having Barnett running back and forth to the sidelines is stupid.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

10 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

So you're suggesting that we can suddenly play 4th quarter football for 4 quarters when we go to Houston? I hope you're right.

GO BULLS!

Maybe....I know we can't run at Oliver all game and think that is going to get us a W because that will never work.

We have no choice but open the playbook vs Houston.   

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

27 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

But to the point to where it almost costs our team multiple losses to conference opponents? I thought that, too, at first but that essentially makes it seem like those games are less important, when in reality they’re not and it’s been a theme week after week. 

Yeah they should have not waited till the 4th and started to change things up more in the early 3rd quarter...maybe they did but it didn't start clicking till the 4th.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322

14 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Maybe....I know we can't run at Oliver all game and think that is going to get us a W because that will never work.

We have no choice but open the playbook vs Houston.   

and THAT’S where I get concerned. We made zero adjustments after the half against them last year. “Each week we need to be 1-0” is a phrase I’ve heard our coach, along with many others, use but sometimes it doesn’t seem like we play that way, and with that it’s hard to say we’re saving most of our playbook for teams like Houston, Cincy, and UCF. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

46 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

I don't think I can buy into that. In this past game with Tulsa we barely crawled back, honestly a big thank you to the ref for the 1st down at a key time. I don't think we are "holding" anything for big games when we are behind or 1 score ahead in games we should be a lot further in. Something else is up. Either our players aren't as skilled as we think they are (yet) or the OC is Stubborn (or incompetent). Perhaps a little of both? 

23 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

But, I wonder if there is something else going on (like a deep-ball happy QB). It's not uncommon for a lot of plays to have a deep route. Is our QB just focusing on that one route and neglecting the other receivers until it becomes very obvious that he has to do something else?

The OL isn't great, but, trying to hold the ball until something deep develops certainly doesn't help them out. It's either on Gilbert or Barnett. I just don't know which one if making those decisions. I also think Gilbert needs to head to the booth. Having Barnett running back and forth to the sidelines is stupid.

I have no personal feelings to him one way or another. Honestly I wasn't that disappointed with our play last year. This year however is a different story (outside of the GT game).  Maybe you onto something and it is the communication system and he should go up to see more scheme and let the sideline staff communicate the plays. Something is fishy and I hope it gets worked out soon. 

Perhaps there is something happening in practice that if we saw we would go "oh duh, well that makes sense" but with all the cloak and dagger... :stirpot:

Also a big concern is why our team is constantly "unprepared" wtf is up with that? are our student athletes blowing off football practices or is our staff not getting our players in position to win?

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

44 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

This is where I'm at as well.  As much as I dislike Gilbert's play calling most of the time I cannot think it's his play calling alone that gets us stuck in the "inside run and deep shot only" offense we seem to revert to for large stretches of games.   I know CCS said that Tulsa was dropping 8 and that forced everything to be deep sideline stuff but I don't buy that.   We ran the intermediate routes with some success in the 4th quarter after ignoring them all game long.   Also, if your OC can only attack defenses who drop 8 with deep outside routes you need to find a new OC because dropping 8 shouldn't make your passing game one dimensional.  There are a ton of different clear out concepts and pick play route combos that can still attack that type of defense.   I'm starting to really think a good portion of this is on Blake either predetermining/locking onto one guy regardless of the progression or he's a bit gun shy behind the line and wants to get the ball out of his hand quickly which has meant hit the back of your drop and chuck up a 50/50 ball and hope your WR makes a play or draws the PI.  It seemed like Gilbert was in Blakes ear more than usual this past week so I'm really thinking some of this is just growing pains for a QB who is old age wise but still rather inexperienced as a starting QB and in this offense.  Hopefully Gilbert and Blake get this worked out before we get into the back loaded portion of our schedule.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

There's no way we are saving plays..it is mid-season.  That seems illogical and makes no sense.

I think Gilbert should be to blamed for the offensive performances as he is the leader of the offense.  Just like if your sales are down, you would put the "onus" on the manager first, then move up the chain of command.

But the problem is a full-body of work.  I believe we haven't seen more variety in play-calling is because everything starts in the trenches.  And right now those guys can't seem to get it together.  And it is the whole group.  Watching the Tulsa game, Norman and Atterbury were having major difficulties.  Although, I believe their struggles is not only their wrong-doing but also the guys next to them as well.  They, as a group, are not blocking well.  How can Gilbert possibly call a more sophisticated play than the runs up the middle with occasional WR bubble screens, and taking deep shots?

It's also a domino effect.  How can we ask Barnett not to stare down his first read when he knows somebody will be coming around the edge in a split second?  He is purely using his instincts in trying to make something happen with the number 1 receiver.  In addition, the 2nd read is not even in his break yet.  There's just not enough time for BB to go down his progressions.

And I think this was also the case last year.  But the major difference was we had a guy named Quinton Flowers.  Dynamic with his feet, 3 plus years of game experience, and a big arm (albeit not the most accurate), but just enough to keep defenses honest.

Gotta give Gilbert or whoever credit for bringing in an extra blocker.  I'd say let's work off of that philosophy instead of going down the same path, because you guys are right about one thing...we're not going to beat the teams in our bottom half of the schedule.