• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shaun King as our offensive coordinator?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

I cannot stand Gilbert and I’ll have no problem whatsoever seeing him go when that time comes, but what makes some of you believe that there’s not another school that would try to hire him?  It’s unfortunately he looks good on paper. 

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

I like Shaun King...and I can see him someday even being our head coach.....but the problems with this offense start and end along the OL. It is young, inexperienced and forced to play true freshmen. I don't care who is calling the plays but if the QB is running for his life or RB has no room to run you are going to get what we are seeing right now: maddening inconsistency. If we can fix the OL in our last 7 games then this 2018 team has a chance to do some work.

For example, Donovan Jennings is going to be a great player for USF....he is just not ready yet. He was in over his head many times on Friday but he made some really nice blocks in the 4th quarter when it mattered and it seemed to help his confidence. It also helped that we brought in our new DL-turned OL-turned TE #40 Eric Mayes to help him out. I hope we see more of this moving forward. If we just pound the rock we can win the rest of our games b/c Jordan is  a real threat...just see what he is doing with poor OL play...and that sets up the play action where BB11 has shown he can be deadly. 

Bottom line for me: no changes are going to happen before the end of the season so kind of pointless to kvetch about it.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

So it seems like those that are knowledge and critical of USF's offense site the problem as Gilbert. I am not saying that is wrong, but if I recall (again I am hardly a football expert) that there was a lot of praise for Gilbert's play calling after GT.  So it has me wondering, could there (also) be something else going on at offense? Is it 100% the play calling or the teams ability to run plays limiting the play calling? If  I am not mistaken we do have a young/weak line, injuries, small rb that can't block well (not a slight on their skill just their size) and a QB that has 6 games under his belt.

I have all the faith in the world that this team can and will get better, but I am highly concerned that this will not be the dream season the green and gold goggles wish for. I do think we will be able to address a lot of these issues going into next year and have a very very strong team then. 

I am just questioning is it really Gilbert's fault? It very well may be, I am simply not an expert to evaluate that, but could there be other factors that are limiting our offense? if so are they addressable this season?

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

Yea, that #20 overall offense in college football should fire the OC.

While the DEFENSE is #66.

GO BULLS!

Edited by BDYZR

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799
  • Days Won:  0

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:26 AM, brybull1970 said:

CWT is a lot like my teenage son - he is resistant to change and doesn’t get going until he realizes he it’s about to be held accountable.

Well Skippy never got a clue so I think CWT gets a little credit.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, SpeedyBull said:

So it seems like those that are knowledge and critical of USF's offense site the problem as Gilbert. I am not saying that is wrong, but if I recall (again I am hardly a football expert) that there was a lot of praise for Gilbert's play calling after GT.  So it has me wondering, could there (also) be something else going on at offense? Is it 100% the play calling or the teams ability to run plays limiting the play calling? If  I am not mistaken we do have a young/weak line, injuries, small rb that can't block well (not a slight on their skill just their size) and a QB that has 6 games under his belt.

I have all the faith in the world that this team can and will get better, but I am highly concerned that this will not be the dream season the green and gold goggles wish for. I do think we will be able to address a lot of these issues going into next year and have a very very strong team then. 

I am just questioning is it really Gilbert's fault? It very well may be, I am simply not an expert to evaluate that, but could there be other factors that are limiting our offense? if so are they addressable this season?

I like this point of view and thing things you’ve discussed. I can’t speak for everyone, but I personally see it as play calling because of the lack of consistency. If we didn’t have playmakers who are capable of what Florida speed and talent  is capable of then I might have to question a lot more. We saw a completely different team against GT. Screens, short passes, all the goods. Then all of a sudden the explosiveness disappears. I’m seeing a dependence on Cronkrite saving us with a big run, and maybe a deep ball from a receiver who breaks away. Every. single. time Wilcox was targeted he had a catch. Now that doesn’t mean throw him the ball every time, but I feel like a glaring issue is under utilizing our TEs. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

9 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I like this point of view and thing things you’ve discussed. I can’t speak for everyone, but I personally see it as play calling because of the lack of consistency. If we didn’t have playmakers who are capable of what Florida speed and talent  is capable of then I might have to question a lot more. We saw a completely different team against GT. Screens, short passes, all the goods. Then all of a sudden the explosiveness disappears. I’m seeing a dependence on Cronkrite saving us with a big run, and maybe a deep ball from a receiver who breaks away. Every. single. time Wilcox was targeted he had a catch. Now that doesn’t mean throw him the ball every time, but I feel like a glaring issue is under utilizing our TEs. 

right but didn't we also come out of the game quite banged up? we also lost horne to that acl accident. I am just curious if there is a case for the reason we are not doing those things other than the professional being paid to call the shots is a moron. (After skip holtz, I completely understand that it is a possibility.) I just can't fathom why someone who could put together a solid game plan would suddenly stop and walk away from that. I too am very very frustrated watching our offense. If we cannot fix things I can easily see us dropping 4 games this season. 

14 minutes ago, SpeedyBull said:

right but didn't we also come out of the game quite banged up? we also lost horne to that acl accident. I am just curious if there is a case for the reason we are not doing those things other than the professional being paid to call the shots is a moron. (After skip holtz, I completely understand that it is a possibility.) I just can't fathom why someone who could put together a solid game plan would suddenly stop and walk away from that. I too am very very frustrated watching our offense. If we cannot fix things I can easily see us dropping 4 games this season. 

We did walk away banged up. That win took a lot out of us, for sure. Even with players injured, we still have capable athletes on the offensive side of the ball. RB is the biggest position that’s taken a hit, so it doesn’t make sense to me why we’re relying on that position so much. If anything I feel like that would be a reason to open up the play calling more and be more diverse. What happens if Cronkrite gets hurt after being overutilized? I’ve not been the biggest fan of Gilbert, however, I’m not seeing him as being a moron. I’m seeing it as him being stubborn and wanting to do things his way because his way has consistently kept him a job or gotten him a better one. I don’t know that his playcalling is fully to blame, but I cannot come to another full logical explanation right now. 

Edited by OcalaBull2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

I think why we went more conservative is that the coaches felt we could do that vs the teams Illinois, ECU, Umass and Tulsa and still win and they were correct.  Expect more conservative play vs Uconn.

I guess we start to open it up vs Houston and hope we catch them sleeping thinking we play very conservative and not look at Gtech game film.