• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

What about the 10-15 underneath routes we hit at the end of the game?

They were there but if notice a few were close. Maybe Blake did not feel comfortable making those throws earlier. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I think Blake is ready to make a jump in his play... I think things slowed down for him at the end of the game and the offensive line did give him more time to throw at the end.  I feel like he's close to putting it together.  I hope so at least... his play at the end of the game was pretty amazing tbo.  

35 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I think Blake is ready to make a jump in his play... I think things slowed down for him at the end of the game and the offensive line did give him more time to throw at the end.  I feel like he's close to putting it together.  I hope so at least... his play at the end of the game was pretty amazing tbo.  

I think he is a better player with the extra lineman. Hopefully that will continue 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  580
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, ForestBull said:

Here's the thing about BB. Sterling Gilbert does not put him in a position to succeed. 

List of things that would help this offense and BB: -- 

1.Short slant passes  --  The receivers need to get separation.  They have not shown inclination to make any effort to get away from defenders.  The route running has become sloppy.  

2. Designed runs to the perimeter -- Memphis did this well to UCF, but only because the O-Line got push.  No aggressiveness from the O-Line, this won't matter.

3. Instead of throwing long a million times have the WR come back to keep the DB honest. (Seemed Tulsa ran our routes all night) -- The receivers have become lazy (St. Felix especially).  As a long ball threat, in high school he relied on being faster and taller than other players.  He doesn't have that luxury here.  Just inexperienced -- Salomon was the same way as a Freshman.

4. Screens and dump offs to Cronk -- Can he catch out of the backfield?  Our OC doesn't believe in this technique.

5. More plays for Wilcox -- He BY FAR has the best hands on the team.  Anything near him will get caught.  Starting to break out and I hope that play calling will continue.  That is if Barnett can look off other receivers to find him.

6. Jet sweeps with our fast as hell WRs -- Rodney Adams and MVS knew how to run this and Tyre does to some degree.  I've noticed the few times we have run it, the receiver swung too far into the backfield which allowed just enough time for the DB and LB to react, slowing down the momentum.  What could have been a long gain is just an 8-yard gain.

7. Move Barnett out of the pocket on play action rollouts -- This could work well -- especially with Wilcox sliding out into the flat.

8. Bubble screens that are on the same side of the hash. -- As long as the WRs block.

9. Misdirection runs -- How about Ford and Cronkrite both in the backfield?  Or Wilcox / Mathis as a Fullback?

10. HB wheel routes -- Good idea.

One thing I haven't been impressed with is BB running.  I think the success he had the first game got into his head and he now expects success.  I wish there would be fewer designed runs for him.

Once the receivers learn better route-running technique, Cronkrite and BB learn how to fake a handoff (not fooling anyone) and the O-Line gets push (and Gilbert has a Come to Jesus dressing down about his playcalling), this is what the offense will look like.

Anything to add?

Great list by the way!

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

35 minutes ago, LrdNorman said:

We actually do run a RB wheel route... we have a screen too.  If you look at the spring game, we ran both.  Conkrite scored a TD on a wheel route out of the backfield.  Just because we haven't shown all our plays, doesn't mean we don't have them. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Cronk can catch he was very good at this at UF so at some point that will be called....I hope.

1 hour ago, LrdNorman said:

No way in hell should Blake be rolling out to pass it. I think he has hit two that way all season. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

13 hours ago, ForestBull said:

Here's the thing about BB. Sterling Gilbert does not put him in a position to succeed. 

List of things that would help this offense and BB:

1.Short slant passes

2. Designed runs to the perimeter 

3. Instead of throwing long a million times have the WR come back to keep the DB honest. (Seemed Tulsa ran our routes all night)

4. Screens and dump offs to Cronk

5. More plays for Wilcox

6. Jet sweeps with our fast as hell WRs

7. Move Barnett out of the pocket on play action rollouts

8. Bubble screens that are on the same side of the hash.

9. Misdirection runs

10. HB wheel routes

Anything to add?

Does Gilbert put any QB in a position to succeed?
Other than some Gilbert Unicorn that doesn't exist that would actually fit his system.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

42 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Does Gilbert put any QB in a position to succeed?

Depends on your definition of a qb "succeeding". Would school records be in there ...

• Total offense, game: 605 (at UCF, 2017)
  • Touchdown passes, season: 25 (2017)
  • Passing yards, season: 2,911^^ (2017)
  • Passing yards, game: 503 (at UCF, 2017)
  • Yards per completion, game: 20.9 (at UCF, 2017)
  • Longest touchdown pass: 95 yards (at UConn, 2017)
  • 300-yard passing games, season: 4 (2017)

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,483
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

Depends on your definition of a qb "succeeding". Would school records be in there ...

• Total offense, game: 605 (at UCF, 2017)
  • Touchdown passes, season: 25 (2017)
  • Passing yards, season: 2,911^^ (2017)
  • Passing yards, game: 503 (at UCF, 2017)
  • Yards per completion, game: 20.9 (at UCF, 2017)
  • Longest touchdown pass: 95 yards (at UConn, 2017)
  • 300-yard passing games, season: 4 (2017)

No fair quoting actual facts!  How dare you.