• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rest of the season

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  78
  • Days Won:  0

Exactly Mike, once you take off the big picture glasses, the games become more enjoyable. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

5 hours ago, MikeG said:

As we watch these games-- and I hear people say they are tired of the nail biters-- I am sort of puzzled. The games are interesting. They can also be frustrating. One thing for sure- they are not boring. How often do you watch a game on tv (any game, not just USF) and change the channel when it is clear that one team has the game won? I know I do it all the time unless it is some team I don't like getting throttled. 

Not that I want them to make games artificially interesting-- but when I see some huge play happen suddenly, it is a great feeling.

Something to consider perhaps. As fans, maybe we should just try to focus on enjoying the game more than getting overly concerned with rankings, style points, how we look, getting mad at every single mistake as they happen, and trying to be the first to tell everyone what is wrong with our team. Last time I checked, no one expected much more than a winning season this year with a mediocre bowl game to go to - which I would think was fair after how many starting players we had to replace.

I have no problem with people talking about the team dynamics but this endless mind game of perceived expectations gets tiresome. And just so we are clear-- I realize I am guilty of this at times myself.

This is an interesting post.  Examining my own thoughts coming into the season I was one of those 4 loss guys. But when I'm watching a game I want us to win THAT game.  I'm not watching it figuring this is one of the 4 we may lose.  If, at the end of the season, we lose 4 I'd probably look back and think, Well that went about as I suspected.  But if I'm in attendance for a game I'm not thinking we should lose that game.  Not sure if that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

45 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

This is an interesting post.  Examining my own thoughts coming into the season I was one of those 4 loss guys. But when I'm watching a game I want us to win THAT game.  I'm not watching it figuring this is one of the 4 we may lose.  If, at the end of the season, we lose 4 I'd probably look back and think, Well that went about as I suspected.  But if I'm in attendance for a game I'm not thinking we should lose that game.  Not sure if that makes sense.

I think it does make sense.  For many of us, this isn’t just about competitiveness...we’re emotionally invested in our Bulls for every down.  That means that in the heat of the game, our logic is dimmed and we’re mostly thinking with our emotions.  Heart over brains, if you prefer.  Heat of battle and all that.

Its particularly true for us American males, who have codified sports as our primary emotive outlet (generally speaking).  Yelling at the TV, or drinking a special beer before the game for good luck, or being wildly optimistic or pessimistic during a specific game are all emotional responses that feel silly to type in cold blood.  But it’s stuff I do every game.  I think that’s why we’re invested...we need this emotional outlet and Bulls football is a pretty good way to do that.

Now how MUCH emotional investment is another topic!....some could do with less!;)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,324
  • Content Count:  21,267
  • Days Won:  10

I love the hits USF is putting on other teams. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  25
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, MikeG said:

As we watch these games-- and I hear people say they are tired of the nail biters-- I am sort of puzzled. The games are interesting. They can also be frustrating. One thing for sure- they are not boring. How often do you watch a game on tv (any game, not just USF) and change the channel when it is clear that one team has the game won? I know I do it all the time unless it is some team I don't like getting throttled. 

Not that I want them to make games artificially interesting-- but when I see some huge play happen suddenly, it is a great feeling.

Something to consider perhaps. As fans, maybe we should just try to focus on enjoying the game more than getting overly concerned with rankings, style points, how we look, getting mad at every single mistake as they happen, and trying to be the first to tell everyone what is wrong with our team. Last time I checked, no one expected much more than a winning season this year with a mediocre bowl game to go to - which I would think was fair after how many starting players we had to replace.

I have no problem with people talking about the team dynamics but this endless mind game of perceived expectations gets tiresome. And just so we are clear-- I realize I am guilty of this at times myself.

I've enjoyed all the games this year but the ECU game.  That was just bad. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

45 minutes ago, NCBull said:

I think it does make sense.  For many of us, this isn’t just about competitiveness...we’re emotionally invested in our Bulls for every down.  That means that in the heat of the game, our logic is dimmed and we’re mostly thinking with our emotions.  Heart over brains, if you prefer.  Heat of battle and all that.

Its particularly true for us American males, who have codified sports as our primary emotive outlet (generally speaking).  Yelling at the TV, or drinking a special beer before the game for good luck, or being wildly optimistic or pessimistic during a specific game are all emotional responses that feel silly to type in cold blood.  But it’s stuff I do every game.  I think that’s why we’re invested...we need this emotional outlet and Bulls football is a pretty good way to do that.

Now how MUCH emotional investment is another topic!....some could do with less!;)

For me it is game to game, but, I have always said that if we get beat, so be it. HOWEVER! If we lose because of mental, and sometimes flat out dumb penalties, I have a problem. If USF doesn't beat USF, I'm good.

GO BULLS!

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

1 hour ago, NCBull said:

Spot on -- if you are one of the folks who watch the game and also post in the game thread, the roller coaster ride can get quite excessive with the raw emotions pouring out of many fans. Nothing wrong with it but some times I just can't stomach it as the micro-analysis gets a little much for me. We have some folks who post about every single play practically. That is fine I suppose-- but heaven help the player who makes a mistake or turnover in that thread. They get roasted.  And when things are not going well for USF, the vitriol towards the closest available object (or when in doubt, just blame BB, CCS, etc) is often overwhelming. It seems slightly less in the chat area but that might be because less people are in there at any given time.

Some times I just stop watching the thread/chat and simply go back to watching the game itself. I can only take so much anger out of others I guess.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

For me it is game to game, but, I have always said that if we get beat, so be it. HOWEVER! If we lose because of mental, and sometimes flat out dumb penalties, I have a problem. If USF doesn't beat USF, I'm good.

GO BULLS!

How I feel and the sloppy play from the team is annoying. 

We can beat all the teams left on schedule if we bring A game but doubt it happens we will lose a few I feel..hope wrong though.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

43 minutes ago, MikeG said:

Spot on -- if you are one of the folks who watch the game and also post in the game thread, the roller coaster ride can get quite excessive with the raw emotions pouring out of many fans. Nothing wrong with it but some times I just can't stomach it as the micro-analysis gets a little much for me. We have some folks who post about every single play practically. That is fine I suppose-- but heaven help the player who makes a mistake or turnover in that thread. They get roasted.  And when things are not going well for USF, the vitriol towards the closest available object (or when in doubt, just blame BB, CCS, etc) is often overwhelming. It seems slightly less in the chat area but that might be because less people are in there at any given time.

Some times I just stop watching the thread/chat and simply go back to watching the game itself. I can only take so much anger out of others I guess.

What the heck did BourbonBull do wrong?  Oh wait.....  

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

12 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

Gritty teams will surprised you. I think they team will break out in the next few games. 

Can’t teach grit.. give me a team that wins in the second half and I’ll show you a championship. This always gets pushed but always responds. 

• Upvote 2