• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baker to cover USFvECU this weekend while JK visits family.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

5 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

I see this as a positive. I have no issues with Joey overall (I do not like the way the Times reports turnstile, but that is a newspaper policy and not one of a single writer). 

The reason this is a positive, for those who don't realize, Matt is the only one at the Times who has an AP vote this year (to the best of my knowledge, each paper would only get one and they would rotate it around their writers). So, we get to play in front of an AP voter who hasn't had much of a chance to see us play this year. 

These reporters might not like our fans at times, but they really don't have anything against USF. Any writer wants their beat to be relevant, but that can happen in wins and losses. 

Honestly, the AP poll won't matter to me for a couple more weeks, and all I will care about is putting USF in a position to be the top group of 5, so that if we can win our conference we get to go to somewhere other than Birmingham (which is lovely in December). 

My expectation is that the Times AP vote as the year rolls on, should be no lower than USF's actual ranking (meaning if we are 23, then the Times vote should be 23 or higher), in that a reporter in our home town is more aware of our success to include us at a proper ranking, than say someone in Wyoming, who has no idea who we are. 

Didn't Baker already do this last year?  He didn't have us in his Top 25 when we were ranked there IIRC.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

6 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

The reason this is a positive, for those who don't realize, Matt is the only one at the Times who has an AP vote this year (to the best of my knowledge, each paper would only get one and they would rotate it around their writers). So, we get to play in front of an AP voter who hasn't had much of a chance to see us play this year.

Meh. He 100% votes based on last season, name of the team, and their “potential.”  USF won over 20 games in two seasons. Baker works for our team’s hometown paper.  He knows who we are, he knows who we’ve beaten, even on this season alone, and yet he still puts questionable teams ahead of them. We have people voting for us who don’t even live in the state. I’m not for bashing a reporter by any means, but his reporting is questionable at best and it shouldn’t take us “playing in front of him” to show him how good we really are. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Apparently above FSU since our beat writer was in Chicago and not Syracuse ...

26 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Sure doesn’t reflect it on the cover of the sports page

It did in my Sunday paper. Bulls were on the front page with only the Bucs and Rays ... inside a full page on USF and only about a 1/5 page AP article on FSU ..

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

Didn't Baker already do this last year?  He didn't have us in his Top 25 when we were ranked there IIRC.

I believe you’re right.  The fact that Baker is covering our game against ECU is not gonna make him somehow look at USF in a more positive light.  He’s shown little respect towards USF last year and this year and covering one game is not gonna change that and God forbid if we don’t thrash ECU by 50.  If we struggle, I can just about hear the back handed digs already.

Just now, Triple B said:

It did in my Sunday paper. Bulls were on the front page with only the Bucs and Rays ... inside a full page on USF and only about a 1/5 page AP article on FSU ..

You can continue to defend the coverage we get from the TBT all you want.  I guess we can agree to disagree.

Just now, El_Toro_86 said:

You can continue to defend the coverage we get from the TBT all you want.  I guess we can agree to disagree.

Just defending with facts ...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

It’s a validity issue when a voter votes on teams that they can’t/will not see. Why the hell do we care? Now the issue is does the AP poll in any way influence the playoff committe’s first poll? We have no way of knowing either way. But if it does, then this system is no better than the “mythical national champion” system that was round before the BCS. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Just defending with facts ...

Do you honestly feel that we get the proper coverage and respect from the hometown paper?  Our own beat writer seems disinterested in his coverage of USF.  From time to time he has seemed to troll our fanbase with tweets about UCF.  MB has not really shown us the respect with his AP vote going back to last year.  Hell, we even got a vote from BMM last week and nothing from MB. The columnists in this market, MF and TJ, take any opportunity to dump on the program with back handed compliments and digs about our program, conference, attendance, and fan support etc.  I have people that know nothing about our program and when I mention I’m a Bulls fans, they tell me “hey I hear nobody goes to the games”.  I asked them where they heard that and they said they read it in the paper.  I look at the TBT coverage in its totality.  And frankly, I think it sucks!  

40 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Do you honestly feel that we get the proper coverage and respect from the hometown paper?  Our own beat writer seems disinterested in his coverage of USF.  From time to time he has seemed to troll our fanbase with tweets about UCF.  MB has not really shown us the respect with his AP vote going back to last year.  Hell, we even got a vote from BMM last week and nothing from MB. The columnists in this market, MF and TJ, take any opportunity to dump on the program with back handed compliments and digs about our program, conference, attendance, and fan support etc.  I have people that know nothing about our program and when I mention I’m a Bulls fans, they tell me “hey I hear nobody goes to the games”.  I asked them where they heard that and they said they read it in the paper.  I look at the TBT coverage in its totality.  And frankly, I think it sucks!  

Honestly, I think JK's coverage is about right (his attendance obsession notwithstanding) and could be a helluvalot worse. A lot of the stuff he gets bitched about on here is at times the result of thin skinned fans, especially the "trolling of our fans with UCF stuff". He goes to Oveido as one of the two TBT college sports writers to do a preseason article on the Kanigits and the board goes bat **** crazy because his Tweets reflect that. He's in Tally for the WBB tourney, Bulls get bumped off early and he goes to interview Willie about Q's chances in the NFL and the board goes ******* apoplectic. MB is an assclown. The local columnists do what they do, go after low hanging fruit and sadly we are that fruit at times. They've done it to all the local sports teams at one time or another. Sad thing is that they've also done some positive USF columns, but those get lost in the shuffle ...... understandably with all the other ones. I'd love it if they were more supportive but I fully understand that's not their job. As weak as endorsement as it is, my feelings are the coverage could be better but it could also be a helluvalot worse.

You were right ... we'll just have to agree to disagree.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Denzel Washington on Media: Commenting on the topic of "fake news," Academy Award winning actor Denzel Washington criticized the so-called mainstream media by saying if you read the newspaper, then "you're misinformed," and added that in a world where there is too much information the media strive to be first and not to be truthful, no matter who it hurts. "Anything you practice you'll get good at -- including BS," said Washington.  

Link: https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/denzel-washington-media-if-you-read-newspaper-youre-misinformed

Now that was awesome!!!!! :guinness:

Edited by Azmodi