• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GT win not looking so good thus far

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,725
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Any G5 win over a P5 team looks good. Even the worst P5 teams have magic plot armor from the committee and ESPN that makes our wins over them look big no matter how bad they may be.

I truly hate the term P5 because it gives automatic status to many many average (i.e. not power) teams and automatically downgrades USF, UCF, etc. However, you nailed it 100%. As long as perception is reality, USF might as well take advantage of the situation and claim any victory over a P5 team (power 5 or pretend 5) as a "big" win. Our 7-1 record against P5 teams is getting some mileage right now because of the misguided perception that P5 is some sort of Division 1+, and all G5 teams must be inferior to all P5 teams. Since we are stuck in this  delineated system (as you correctly pointed out), we might as well play that angle up to our advantage. 🤘

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

8 minutes ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

I truly hate the term P5 because it gives automatic status to many many average (i.e. not power) teams and automatically downgrades USF, UCF, etc. However, you nailed it 100%. As long as perception is reality, USF might as well take advantage of the situation and claim any victory over a P5 team (power 5 or pretend 5) as a "big" win. Our 7-1 record against P5 teams is getting some mileage right now because of the misguided perception that P5 is some sort of Division 1+, and all G5 teams must be inferior to all P5 teams. Since we are stuck in this  delineated system (as you correctly pointed out), we might as well play that angle up to our advantage. 🤘

If the system were fair and not so political-- which it never will be -- it would be set up something like the Premier League in soccer (football) where the bottom feeder teams can lose their status to some teams from the "lesser" league. I am no expert in how it works but something similar would let the better teams from so many G6 conferences earn positions to play along with the big boys.

Sounds great in theory but impossible - not enough games for one. Conference ties go beyond simply one sport and long standing rivalries need to be respected. Fun to think about though..

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

We just struggled to beat one of those bottom p5 feeder teams.   Boise State (17th ranked) who looked like gangbusters got manhandled by a pretty good, but not great p5 team (24th ranked Okie State).   And those are games in isolation.  If the vast majority of these g5 schools had to play week in and week out in a p5 conference, then they would be average to below most years.  That's why those p5 schools get the benefit of the doubt over g5 teams.   G5 wins over teams like Illinois and G Tech are "big" wins while those are gimmees for the most part to the upper half the p5.

Edited by chapelbull

Good news is BYU gets McNeese State next weekend.  I heard they were pretty good

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Just now, chapelbull said:

Meanwhile of course BYU upsets top 10 Wisconsin

Idk how that happened. 🤦‍♂️

Just now, Roaming Bull said:

Idk how that happened. 🤦‍♂️

Me either, but it screws up our quest to be the top ranked g5 team

They do still play UW, Boise St. and Utah, so they should lose at least 1 or 2

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Just now, chapelbull said:

Hopefully Wiskey falls hard and BYU drops a game or two

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

25 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

They do still play UW, Boise St. and Utah, so they should lose at least 1 or 2

BYU is not G5. Remember to play on NYD the P5 team has to win its conference...BYU does not have a conference 

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

BYU is not G5. Remember to play on NYD the P5 team has to win its conference...BYU does not have a conference 

Aren't they independent?