• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

10 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

He is the coach I wanted badly to replace Urban Meyer at UF. I was actually upset when they didn't hire or consider him. Its funny how I became a USF fan and he is now the head coach. But I think he wants a legacy more than money. At USF, he can set his legacy if he retires here. He is 58 years old (Which is why I was never worried about him leaving), so retirement age is what? 67? He has  9 years to:

1. Win the AAC at least 4-6 times

2. Go to the NY6 bowl game the same amount of times - 3-5 times

3. Help push USF to build the IPF and stadium

4. Win 10 games every year

5. Make USF such an attractive package that a P5 picks us up and then win a National title.....or if we don't get picked up, just remain the best team in the AAC. 

Possible replacements - 

Shaun King will be 50 by then

Larry Scott Will be 49

Auggie Sanchez will be around 32 years old

We shall be great forever!!!

If he does all that then there will be a statute of him in front of the OCS. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  137

not to be a debbie downer here--- but we might need to pump the brakes a bit.

I mean-- it is only two games in and we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves.

nah-- go crazy. Even if the season takes a bad turn, it will give the vultures waiting for that something to Quote .

Edited by MikeG

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

23 minutes ago, MikeG said:

Less money? isn't he still getting alimony from the (T)ex(as)?

Yes he is, I guess my analogy should have been about getting less money starting next year.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

50 minutes ago, MikeG said:

can't please everyone I suppose (in regards to your feelings about the quality of the GT win).

That team played hard all game imo-- they will do better than some think. Throw out last years records-- teams change quite a bit between seasons.

I'm absolutely pleased with that win, and like what I'm seeing so far. GT seems to be a decent opponent with a difficult offense to stop. Love the way we battled, but again, it's early, and it's hard to tell how big a deal beating GT is. I hope they do well and help our SOS, but my guess is 7-5 or 6-6.

I have a better feeling about our team than last year's team. The Barnett/Gilbert marriage looks like it's going to work very well. While I agree that there is a positive difference in Strong this year, it's Gilbert who I really have a better feeling about. He's got his man running the offense now. As much as I like and appreciate Q, I don't think Gilbert's offense quite hit it's full potential with him. I think that can happen with Barnett.

10 minutes ago, MikeG said:

not to be a debbie downer here--- but we might need to pump the brakes a bit.

I mean-- it is only two games in and we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves.

nah-- go crazy. Even if the season takes a bad turn, it will give the vultures waiting for that something to Quote .

By the middle of his second season CCS will have passed CSH and will have a chance at having as many victories as CWT by the end of the season. So after two seasons it’s conceivable that he could be the second winningest coach in USF history and he is already only the second coach in our history with a winning record. We also just won a game that our last two 💩 coaches would lose 100 times out of 100 even if they were spotted the 11 points we won by, if we can’t be optimistic right now when can we?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, puc86 said:

By the middle of his second season CCS will have passed CSH and will have a chance at having as many victories as CWT by the end of the season. So after two seasons it’s conceivable that he could be the second winningest coach in USF history and he is already only the second coach in our history with a winning record. We also just won a game that our last two 💩 coaches would lose 100 times out of 100 even if they were spotted the 11 points we won by, if we can’t be optimistic right now when can we?

Hmmm....Skip did beat Miami, Notre Dame, Clemson, and a Charlie Strong-coached Louisville team. He ended up driving the program into the ground (I'm confident Charlie will do the opposite), but Skip actually did have similar wins...

Edited by USFBulls727

9 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Hmmm....Skip did beat Miami, Notre Dame, Clemson, and a Charlie Strong-coached Louisville. He ended up driving the program into the ground (I'm confident Charlie will do the opposite), but Skip actually did have similar wins...

It wasn’t the name I was referring to it was the actual game. We were pushed against the wall, facing adversity going into the 4th  in a game that mattered. CSH would find a way to misuse his time outs, call inexcusable plays and stand there looking dumbfounded as he snatched a loss from the jaws of victory.  But yes you are right in his first year and a half CSH had far more marquee victories than the zero CWT managed in his four years.

Edited by puc86

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It wasn’t the name I was referring to it was the actual game. We were pushed against the wall, facing adversity going into the 4th  in a game that mattered. CSH would find a way to misuse his time outs, call inexcusable plays and stand there looking dumbfounded as he snatched a loss from the jaws of victory. 

All the above mentioned games that Skip won mattered at the time, unless you think that Bowl games don't matter (Clemson). I do agree with you on the misuse of timeouts though. That used to drive me nuts when he would just let the clock run down....inside the 5 yard line with all 3 timeouts....then try a FG right before half. Not sure I've ever seen another coach do anything like that. I'd take Charlie over Skip without any doubt whatsoever, but Skip did manage to win a few games that, at least at the time, seemed as big as our GT win this past week.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I wonder if getting an opportunity to play against Texas is in the back of Charlie’s mind...

8 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

All the above mentioned games that Skip won mattered at the time, unless you think that Bowl games don't matter (Clemson). I do agree with you on the misuse of timeouts though. That used to drive me nuts when he would just let the clock run down....inside the 5 yard line with all 3 timeouts....then try a FG right before half. Not sure I've ever seen another coach do anything like that. I'd take Charlie over Skip without any doubt whatsoever, but Skip did manage to win a few games that, at least at the time, seemed as big as our GT win this past week.

The Miami game would have been the closest to what I described (even if it was after we had already lost four games it still had us coming back in the end) the other two games we were up and the team tried to hold on for dear life as CSH tried his best to coach us towards what would be his signature, losing.