• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1,341
  • Days Won:  2

His personality is much Stronger this year :GoBulls::flagonthepost:

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

There is a new VP of Athletics as well.  This may have something to do with it. Had lunch with Coach Mohl today. He seems very happy with VP of A MK.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

42 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

He is so more relaxed. At Monday’s presser he was asked about Judy stepping down. He went through a whole list of academic achievements by the university which really impressed me and made me think how he has become a part of the university. I so hope he loves it enough here to turn down cash in order to stay at a place he is comfortable with...I know I may be dreaming. 

The part about the money above got me thinking. I've never made ridiculous amounts of money like that in a year-- millions of dollars for doing what you love? What a job. At some point though, does adding one or two or three more millions to the yearly total really make you any happier than what you already were?

Not an excuse to underpay him-- but I can see how after seeing the pressure that comes with the big time coaching gig, having something steady and reliable like USF-- where he can mold the program into exactly what he wants it to be with less demanding fans -- might be worth not uprooting his family and moving yet again and starting all over. This is his third HC stint- all that moving around has to be stressful in itself.

I think Leavitt had this idea-- and it was why he didn't jump ship when he had numerous opportunities early. I think some of our boosters got a little too involved in the situation and found a way to shake things up. Without debating the specifics of what went down-- let that sleeping dog lie-- look at the situation and how a head coach might find living in Tampa and having a chance to make something great happen at USF. Not sure if Charlie Strong has family in the area like Leavitt did (another major bonus to making USF a long term job for him) - but even being able to establish yourself here long term is a good thing.

Now I say all this- and fully understand that his agent is probably chomping at the bit to get him to consider some P5 job offers. But it would not be unheard of for a coach to want to make this gig last a very long time. He is welcome to coach my team as long as he wants. I will not be upset though if he does what is best for his family-- even if it basically comes down to money or stepping back up in his career. It has been a good fit for both sides so far, even if we are back looking for a new coach very soon.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

18 minutes ago, MikeG said:

some point though, does adding one or two or three more millions to the yearly total really make you any happier than what you already were?

This is what gives me hope. I worked for a company making really good money (for what I did, I was still on a budget, haha), but unreal stress and it wasn't worth it. I have know plenty of people that have worked a few years in a pressure cooker just to leave for less money and better quality of life. He has seen the dark side, now he has the complete opposite, hopefully we give him a nice raise and we reach a satisfactory deal. With CCS being 58 and his wife's family being close, I think we stand a good chance. 🤞

Edited by michibull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

2 hours ago, goingbackbull said:

Does anyone else see a different Charlie Strong this year?  He seems happy and  motivated.  I wasn't 100% on the bandwagon last year, but with what I see in him now I'm all aboard.

I am a little more optimistic about Charlie and Sterlin so far this year, and I'm sensing that Charlie is happier and more settled in with this program now. However, it seems that a lot of the optimism on the board stems from the GT win, but I'm not sure about the quality of that win yet. It was a great game, and it always feels good to win, but GT was 5-7 last year, and could very well have a similar record this year. Houston and UCF are potentially better wins. Not sure what to feel about getting past a middling ACC team that kind of handed that game to us. Whatever the case, I do have a good feeling about this season, and it should be fun to watch.

38 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

I am a little more optimistic about Charlie and Sterlin so far this year, and I'm sensing that Charlie is happier and more settled in with this program now. However, it seems that a lot of the optimism on the board stems from the GT win, but I'm not sure about the quality of that win yet. It was a great game, and it always feels good to win, but GT was 5-7 last year, and could very well have a similar record this year. Houston and UCF are potentially better wins. Not sure what to feel about getting past a middling ACC team that kind of handed that game to us. Whatever the case, I do have a good feeling about this season, and it should be fun to watch.

can't please everyone I suppose (in regards to your feelings about the quality of the GT win).

That team played hard all game imo-- they will do better than some think. Throw out last years records-- teams change quite a bit between seasons.

Edited by MikeG

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

I’m glad CCS is here and that he seems to be happy here. Not sure what was going on in his mind last season but I can’t imagine it’s easy to get back into the dating world following a horrible divorce and I can’t imagine it helps if the whole thing takes place in the public eye. Now he is in a marriage with someone younger, with less expectations and maybe he has less money but he is having more fun.

24 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I’m glad CCS is here and that he seems to be happy here. Not sure what was going on in his mind last season but I can’t imagine it’s easy to get back into the dating world following a horrible divorce and I can’t imagine it helps if the whole thing takes place in the public eye. Now he is in a marriage with someone younger, with less expectations and maybe he has less money but he is having more fun.

Less money? isn't he still getting alimony from the (T)ex(as)?

• Haha 4

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

He is the coach I wanted badly to replace Urban Meyer at UF. I was actually upset when they didn't hire or consider him. Its funny how I became a USF fan and he is now the head coach. But I think he wants a legacy more than money. At USF, he can set his legacy if he retires here. He is 58 years old (Which is why I was never worried about him leaving), so retirement age is what? 67? He has  9 years to:

1. Win the AAC at least 4-6 times

2. Go to the NY6 bowl game the same amount of times - 3-5 times

3. Help push USF to build the IPF and stadium

4. Win 10 games every year

5. Make USF such an attractive package that a P5 picks us up and then win a National title.....or if we don't get picked up, just remain the best team in the AAC. 

Possible replacements - 

Shaun King will be 50 by then

Larry Scott Will be 49

Auggie Sanchez will be around 32 years old

We shall be great forever!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235

CCS just turned 58. I think he realizes he doesn't have many years left to coach. I would be surprised, but not shocked, to see him leave to start over again some place else. I hope/think he understands that he has a real chance here to build his lasting legacy here. I for one believe him when he says he'll change this area to have a USF first mindset.