• Join Today

Join today and reduce ads presented

• Members do not see this ad
gibbsak

Favorite way...

What's your favorite way to drink bourbon?  

I usually go for double, on the rocks, with a splash of coke.  Talking just enough to cut it.  

On 9/4/2018 at 5:20 PM, gibbsak said:

I usually go for double, on the rocks, with a splash of coke.  Talking just enough to cut it.  

Neat, or with a rock or two.

What are you cutting?

I wrote cut, but it's really usually just enough to taste .

With one very large ice cube

Depends on the bourbon.  Some I prefer neat, like Blantons, EH Taylor Single Barrel.  Most I throw an ice cube or 2 in.  And then some I do on the rocks.  

Just getting back from a bourbon dinner at the Rez at the Hard Rock.  Bourbons weren't anything to write  home about but the food was outstanding.  The bourbons included Makers, Makers 46, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek Rye (not technically a bourbon), Knob Creek Single Barrel and Knob Creek Honey.  Don't have the menu in front of me but the first 2 courses were seafood with the second one being lobster with something smokey, maybe bacon.  Then there were some lamb chops and a tenderloin and the dessert was a monkey break with a meringue and cream anglaise.  Let me tell you, the food didn't suuuuuck.  

On 9/4/2018 at 5:20 PM, gibbsak said:

Don't mean to sound snobbish, but if you're putting Coke in it you aren't quite a bourbon drinker yet.  My son-in-law was one of those but when he wanted to add Coke to some of my better bourbons he quickly learned that that didn't fly.  He'd learned to appreciate it on the rocks or neat.

• Upvote 1

I like very high proof bourbons with a few small rocks, just enough to chill the bourbon and it open it up...or neat.  Booker’s is among my favorites.   Earlier tonight I shared a bottle of Pappy 23 with some old college buddies...we drank it neat.

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise

7 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

I like very high proof bourbons with a few small rocks, just enough to chill the bourbon and it open it up...or neat.  Booker’s is among my favorites.   Earlier tonight I shared a bottle of Pappy 23 with some old college buddies...we drank it neat.

I tried the 23 many years ago in a flight.  I was new to bourbon at the time and did not enjoy it.  Tasted mostly like oak from what I remember. But my tastes have changed over the years and I now drink stuff I wouldn't touch 10 years ago. It would be interesting to try it again.  

3 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

I tried the 23 many years ago in a flight.  I was new to bourbon at the time and did not enjoy it.  Tasted mostly like oak from what I remember. But my tastes have changed over the years and I now drink stuff I wouldn't touch 10 years ago. It would be interesting to try it again.  

It’s not one of my favorites, but this was a very old bottle, and my buddies had never had it before.  It went well with the BBQ.😀

15 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Don't mean to sound snobbish, but if you're putting Coke in it you aren't quite a bourbon drinker yet.  My son-in-law was one of those but when he wanted to add Coke to some of my better bourbons he quickly learned that that didn't fly.  He'd learned to appreciate it on the rocks or neat.

To each their own.  And to each occasion, it's own.  When I'm drinking Beam, or well bourbon, I'll usually cut it. 

When I am drinking something higher end I agree, it's rocks or neat.

Problem is, I've been drinking more well stuff when it comes to Bourbon lately.