• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Strong's Future at USF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,963
  • Days Won:  469

It was never an issue until dumbass UCF and unbiased reporters started challenging the backbone of South Florida administrators and its fans - people caved in to the USF thing. 

I don't think it's a lack of understanding South Florida was at one time the southernmost or once had designs on the southern Florida area with their regional campus plan that is confusing people as to where the games are played.  I doubt they're on Google Maps looking for RJS in the area of South Beach.

This is such a non-event, we just need to get out of our own way.  And have a little pride.  Quit being so easily influenced by ne'er do wells - wise up.

With that said, while I don't like the reporting on CCS' reasoning, I do like he wants to clear up the matter for the know nothings.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I KNOW I'll never run out on USF.

Edited by Flowers4Heisman

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

2 hours ago, Corey lea said:

I doubt if he would take the Maryland Job if it comes available...but if GT comes open, he is good as gone. 

2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

I also agree that Tech would be a done deal the minute they offer

Disagree here.  If Paul Johnson gets fired, whoever takes that job will be either the next best triple option coach, like Niumatalolo, or they'll move away from the option completely, in which case it's a total rebuild.  Throw in the MUCH higher academic requirements and that becomes a tough, tough job. 

I think the latter will happen if Johnson goes.  I've heard some rumblings of some Tech fans getting tired of the option.  I also think if they rebuild, they go younger in age.  Younger than Strong.

Not sure Strong wants to get into that potential situation at this point in his career.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

4 hours ago, Corey lea said:

but if GT comes open, he is good as gone. 

Am I missing some Georgia Tech connection?  Because as far as I know he's never had anything to do with Tech. 

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Take Strong's comments with a grain of salt... Strong's agent will be doing what all agents do when their player is in prime demand (assuming we continue to put up a respectable W-L record). I'm a Bryce Harper guy... but unless he signs a contract like Alexander Ovechkin did with the Capitals years ago, not a chance in hell I'm buying his jersey this season. On that note, go Bulls! Go Caps! Go Nationals (choke, choke...). 

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Calibull said:

Am I missing some Georgia Tech connection?  Because as far as I know he's never had anything to do with Tech. 

It's close enough to Florida and a P5 job in the ACC. All the premium schools have just renewed contracts or have new coaches. GT is less likely to look at his age or the Texas debacle and run. He would kill recruiting in Fl. and Ga. The only SEC job that may open will be KY. and I don't know if he would go there because of the recruiting. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  52
  • Days Won:  0

It's hard to believe any word that a college football coach speaks. These guys are like politicians...I'll worry about who our coach is next year, next year. Right now I'm just going to (try to) enjoy this 2018 season and pray that we can finally win a conference title.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I actually think GT and Vandy are pretty much the bottom of the barrel P5 jobs... You are going to be handcuffed on recruiting and really never have a legit shot at anything in your conference, much less on a national level. Maybe once in a blue moon you'll get a Jay Cutler to come through, even then, Vandy was terrible. They have had 3 winning seasons in the last 10 years with 4 coaches.

GT is nearly the same, maybe a little better in a more up and down ACC, but, I imagine Miami, Clemson, FSU are going to be the powers in that conference. If you're UNC, NCSt., etc, at least you don't have the recruiting issues and may have a chance to catch everyone in a down year, or, get a QF type player that can elevate you. I don't think GT has that ability with the academic constraints there. It's why they run the triple option. Everyone they play has better athletes, so, they use the smoke and mirrors to try and overcome that. Let's just say they had a QF come through... he would be a great triple option QB and would probably add 2 wins a year for them, but, he wouldn't be playing defense. He would not be playing RB or WR either. They have had great talent there in Calvin Johnson and Demarius Thomas, but, I just don't think you can build enough of a team around them to make it a legacy type job.

I don't think CCS will stay here forever if a better job comes along, however, I was shocked that Willy took the Oregon job with UF pretty much certain to come available along with others in the south east (SEC/ACC). He had Flowers and was pretty much guaranteed to be THE hot name in coaching at the end of last year when he could have had his pick of any job opening he wanted. It was weird to me. I don't see CCS jumping at the first opportunity. I think he'll really weigh his options and make sure it's a good fit and really is a better job for him. I think he has also experienced a bad fit and will want to avoid that in any decisions he makes.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Coach speak. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Not much difference between USF, Georgia Tech, and  Vandy  relative to playing for a national championship...

Edited by NewEnglandBull