• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB battle narrowed to two??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

It's going to be Barnett. Hope it works out.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I keep going back and forth between Chris and Blake. I would like to see all three get reps in game one but give these two a little extra. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

4 hours ago, BucsandBulls said:

I haven't heard anything from practice reports or coaches that gives any real indication of who has been able to separate themselves. Pretty sure this is all just wild conjecture and speculation, but that's what message boards are for. I will be excited when coach makes an announcement and even more so when we see that guy take the field against Elon and hopefully cement the fact that he is the undisputed starter.  

I haven't said anyone has... you are literally putting words in my mouth.  Anything here is speculation... but what I'm saying is Blake Barnett is the best QB we have on our team right now.  He's going to win the job.  He's probably the best QB we've had at our school.... literally ever.  I get what happened at Alabama losing his to another talented kid... then the intestinal surgery thing... and trying to unseat a starter at ASU... but we are neither one of those schools.  Said it when he was out here in California... the kid is a NFL talent.  He knows it as well as the folks around him.  He just made bad decisions thinking that can overcome everything.  This kid/guy/man is the real deal though.  He's not like Woulard or anything overhyped... he can flat out play and I'll say it... if he doesn't start right away, he will be the starter by the 3rd game.  He's a different animal and the coaches know it.  The way I kept saying Flowers would start... I'm there with Blake Barnett.  All things being even you go with the guy with something the others don't have... He'll win a conference title for us too.  He's that good.

Edited by Calibull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

18 hours ago, Calibull said:

The fact that Blake Barnett was able to even catch up, and by the coaches account get even with two incumbent QBs that had all spring to lock down the position to me says a lot.  

Question now that you mention it - does anyone know if there were any sort of drastic changes to the offense with QF gone?  Just wondering what the chances are that, with personnel that has some different skill sets (Oladokun's dual threat attribute aside), and thus different talent in the passing game, all three QBs may have started at a level playing field from the beginning?

20 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Question now that you mention it - does anyone know if there were any sort of drastic changes to the offense with QF gone?  Just wondering what the chances are that, with personnel that has some different skill sets (Oladokun's dual threat attribute aside), and thus different talent in the passing game, all three QBs may have started at a level playing field from the beginning?

I mean I don't think there are any drastic changes.  It appears there is more downfield passing and the rbs appear to be in the mix with the passing game.  I did note they are practicing a lot more screen passes than last season.  I'm not sure we actually ran one last season so that would be a change/is a change.  I think the three guys now are better downfield passers and the short/intermediate passing game is more in play.  Flowers was a bit inconsistent in the short game and all of these guys can make that throw.  I can see with Barnett you can actually have a QB power run, they actually did that with Swoops at Texas but here wouldn't have to sub Barnett out.  O I think would be used closer to how Flowers was used but a little better downfield passer... I can't speak to his running ability, I have to actually see it to judge it at the college level.  Kean I dont think will be as inclined to run with the ball as he's more of a passing QB.  Real strong arm kid but I think we'd be more traditional shotgun spread team that runs a lot of power plays and throws a lot of vertical routes. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

From todays report.... also Cronkite had a 70 yard td on a screen pass that guy is going to be amazing this season.

• BARNETT AIRS IT OUT: Transfer Blake Barnett (Corona, Calif.) made a push for the starting quarterback spot with a solid showing Wednesday. The junior used his strong arm to hit Stanley Clerveaux (North Miami) for about a 50-yard gain after a 30-yard connection with DeVontres Dukes (Tampa). Later on, Barnett threw another laser to Tyre McCants (Niceville, Fla.) in stride on a 35-yard play.

https://gousfbulls.com/news/2018/8/15/football-camp-quick-hits-defensive-tackles-making-a-name-for-themselves.aspx

Edited by Bulls On Parade
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, Calibull said:

I haven't said anyone has... you are literally putting words in my mouth.  Anything here is speculation... but what I'm saying is Blake Barnett is the best QB we have on our team right now.  He's going to win the job.  He's probably the best QB we've had at our school.... literally ever.  I get what happened at Alabama losing his to another talented kid... then the intestinal surgery thing... and trying to unseat a starter at ASU... but we are neither one of those schools.  Said it when he was out here in California... the kid is a NFL talent.  He knows it as well as the folks around him.  He just made bad decisions thinking that can overcome everything.  This kid/guy/man is the real deal though.  He's not like Woulard or anything overhyped... he can flat out play and I'll say it... if he doesn't start right away, he will be the starter by the 3rd game.  He's a different animal and the coaches know it.  The way I kept saying Flowers would start... I'm there with Blake Barnett.  All things being even you go with the guy with something the others don't have... He'll win a conference title for us too.  He's that good.

You're getting me a little more excited about the season than I usually am because I normally temper expectations .... I swear, if you're wrong, I will hunt you down out there ..... or have char do it.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Cali is 1 for 1 on USF qbs. Can he be 2 for 2?

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

You're getting me a little more excited about the season than I usually am because I normally temper expectations .... I swear, if you're wrong, I will hunt you down out there ..... or have char do it.

Man... you know me Trip... when I believe in a QB I'm all in.  And I don't go all in on new QBs often.  We got lucky... he's our lottery ticket to a conference championship.  I keep saying it, and will continue to, Blake Barnett will take us to the promise land (promise land being a conference title).  I know it seems weird, but I cannot express how good this guy is.  He was this good in high school and to me the best player in the state of California.  We don't get opportunities like this often, to me he's a JPP at QB... but not raw and this guy has a real competitive streak.  

• Like 2