• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Zebold: USF Fall Practice Day One

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

THEY'RE BACK: STRONG'S BULLS OPEN FALL CAMP ON OLD STOMPING GROUNDS

By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, AUG. 3, 2018 – Year two of the Charlie Strong era at USF officially began under the beautiful Bay Area evening sky with the Bulls getting right down to business Friday.

Equipped with 11 starters returning from last season's 10-2 squad, USF kicked off fall camp with a workmanlike two-hour practice while players zoomed all over the field in their new adidas gear.

27333"You had the whole summer where guys are able to get in shape and work in the weight room with our strength staff. To have the first day, I'm just excited," Strong said. "We have a really good freshman class in here. We lost a lot of seniors last year, but we return a lot. I'm just really excited about what we have and I'm looking forward to them coming back tomorrow."

Excitement started even before the first whistle when the Bulls made the walk beyond their usual practice digs at the Morsani Football Complex to USF's recreational fields. For the first nine practices of fall, Strong's Bulls will be training on the same fields where USF football began preparing for the inaugural 1997 season and for several years after.

"We love going there. That's a tradition that started this football program," said senior cornerback Ronnie Hoggins (Coconut Creek, Fla.). "We love going out there because those guys laid the foundation for this program. That's something we instilled and we appreciate those guys that laid the foundation for us."

The original Bulls are certainly proud of what the program has recently accomplished. USF secured its second straight bowl victory over a Power Five foe in 2017 and continued on a school record run of 20 straight weeks in the top 25.

"The momentum carries on," Strong said. "You look at 11 wins two years ago and 10 wins last year. That's what's exciting, what we have, and just the excitement within the program."

Ball-Hawking Secondary Makes Plays
Suited up in fresh adidas jerseys and shorts, USF jumped right into 11-on-11 action to begin Friday's practice. Quarterbacks aggressively letting it rip on day 1 allowed the Bulls' swarming secondary to make plays right away.

Redshirt freshman cornerback Bentlee Sanders (Tampa) snatched a bobbled pass away from a receiver early in the action and hauled in his second interception on a deflected throw later in practice.

Fiery coordinator Brian Jean-Mary's much improved 2017 defense ranked second nationally with 20 interceptions and USF is hungry for more takeaways in Jean-Mary's second run with the Bulls.

"We always set our goals higher than what they were last year. We always want to top last year," said senior cornerback Ronnie Hoggins, who had two picks last season.

QB Battle Begins
Chris Oladokun (Tampa), Brett Kean (Lakewood, Ohio) and Blake Barnett (Corona, Calif.) all made plays in their own ways at the beginning of USF's starting quarterback competition.

27334Oladokun and Kean both did the most damage with their feet on several smooth scrambles for first downs. Barnett, a graduate transfer from Arizona State, completed the prettiest pass of the night by finding Mackey Award candidate Mitchell Wilcox (Tarpon Springs, Fla.) with a perfect over-the-shoulder throw for a 25-yard touchdown.

"It's a competitive battle there. Plus, it just makes our team better when they just see another good player stepping out there," Strong said. "Those guys all respect each other, so it's going to be fun just watching them going out and competing."

Healthy Bulls Back in Action
Every Bull on the roster was anxious to finally begin fall camp and the feeling was extra special for student-athletes returning from injuries.

Senior starting left tackle Eric Mayes was a full go Friday after missing the spring with a meniscus repair he had done to his left knee.

"I felt really great today," said Mayes, who started all 12 games last year. "… Now that I'm back, I feel excited and I loved the atmosphere we had today. It was a great practice and I was excited to be back out there."

27335Receivers Ryeshene Bronson (Fort Myers, Fla.) and Stanley Clerveaux (North Miami, Fla.) were eased back into action during the spring and both looked healthier than ever Friday. Clerveaux got the offense going early by snagging a pair of passes early on, one in diving fashion.

As for the Bulls as a whole, Strong was happy to see his healthy squad all participate in the fall camp opener.

"I don't think that we have anyone standing on the sidelines," he said. "We have an excellent medical staff and they were able to get the guys back out and get them going."

NFL Scouts Watch the Bulls Work
The Kansas City Chiefs and Cincinnati Bengals were the first teams to check out USF's talent this fall with scouts attending Friday's practice.

Up Next
The Bulls quickly hit the locker room Friday night to prepare for what's ahead. USF returns to the recreational fields Saturday for another practice session at 10 a.m.

"Tomorrow morning is going to be a good turnaround," Strong said. "Those guys got to get in bed tonight, get some rest, and get ready to go to work tomorrow."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Blake Barnett is going to elevate this team to a place we haven't been.  I think Big Red is the guy and I think he's going to play lights out!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Brad said:

For the first nine practices of fall, Strong's Bulls will be training on the same fields where USF football began preparing for the inaugural 1997 season and for several years after.

Love this part or Practice #1 the most.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

I know print isn’t sometimes the best way to detect tone but CCS reads like he is pretty excited and happy to be here which isn’t exactly the message some people try to portray about him. I think he is just a boring anti politician that doesn’t enjoy shaking hands and small talk. I don’t think anyone would say he didn’t start out pumped to be at Texas yet he apparently had some of the same issues, I think it’s just Charlie being Charlie and he just wants to Coach Football, have a few pressers and be left alone.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Winning habits start early 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1,340
  • Days Won:  2

I'm excited to see that the season is around the corner.  There are a lot of unanswered questions, but now is the time to get them answered.

I'm also interested to see how the NASayers twist my post into a negative.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

7 hours ago, puc86 said:

I know print isn’t sometimes the best way to detect tone but CCS reads like he is pretty excited and happy to be here which isn’t exactly the message some people try to portray about him. I think he is just a boring anti politician that doesn’t enjoy shaking hands and small talk. I don’t think anyone would say he didn’t start out pumped to be at Texas yet he apparently had some of the same issues, I think it’s just Charlie being Charlie and he just wants to Coach Football, have a few pressers and be left alone.

I agree. From what I've heard he wants to stay in Florida.  So unless UF, Miami or FSU comes calling he may be here awhile. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

34 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I agree. From what I've heard he wants to stay in Florida.  So unless UF, Miami or FSU comes calling he may be here awhile. 

I would imagine his age plays a factor as well and he deals with a lot less stress here than he would a p5 in Florida. I wouldn’t think he’d be crawling back into something bigger after Texas anytime soon. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

57 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I don't think any of them will be calling any time soon.