• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The thrill is gone....

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,973
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, JimUSFSig said:

So here we are in August... weeks away from another USF football season... and for the first time ever.

I don't know if I care.

I gave up my season tickets, mostly because I started a business and all of my extra income is going there for now.

But another reason I gave up my tickets - I could not get anyone to go with me in recent years.  USF was winning.  The games were, for the most part, entertaining.  No one else seemed to care.

And with the way last year ended... with my expectations dashed... USF basically lost me.

I didn't look at our recruits at signing day.  I didn't look at depth charts or spring practice reports.  I didn't go to the Spring game.  I don't know who will be our starting QB or RB or WRs.  I don't know if we even have a PK worth anything.

I mean, what is there to be excited about any more?  

USF is gonna USF and go something like 8-4 and get invited to the "who the hell really cares about it" bowl game against podunk state.

Maybe I'm just missing something.... but for the first time ever, I don't think I will be at opening day.  I probably won't bake in the sun for Ga Tech.  I'm not even thrilled about beating UCF... if we could.

Am I the only one who feels this way?  

-------------------

(Yes, I am cross posting this.)

****, Jim.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

31 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I'm excited, for the season, but, it's different now. When I had my season tickets I was single, surrounded by single friends, and could usually get someone to go with me. I now have a wife and toddler and it's better for me to spend 3 hours watching on TV and the rest of the day being daddy than it could ever be to drive 90 minutes, fight traffic, and spend the whole day. I'll go to a game this year, but, can't spend the time I used to (trips to Auburn, FSU, El Paso)... This year is hard. Q made me believe, gave me a reason to really care. Coming off of that level of spectacular, I am taking a wait and see approach. No matter what, you knew Q was going to make it exciting last year. I fear this year could see a major decline in fans in the stadium.

I agree with puc, the slide started for me when CJL was fired. Maybe it has to do with my age at the time, but, the was just more fire in our team and fan base. There was a chip on our shoulders at that time. No matter what was going on around us, we could be in the conversation... bring on a top-5 team, we may not win them all, but, they will walk off the field knowing they got a dog fight. It's the AAC, football in general, and USF football even more. The game has changed. I still bleed green and gold and will forever, but, I don't know if I can regain that passion I had in 2007-2009.

Matt Grothe's ACL injury may be the defining moment of our program. If he stays healthy, I personally think we dominate that entire season. Defense was built back up and he was poised to lead the offense to greatness. He get's hurt, we struggle a bit, CJL feels the pressure, team starts unravelling, slap either happened because Leavitt was feeling unwarranted pressure, or, if didn't happen/got blown out of proportion because the team started falling apart, either way, a season that lived up to the hype probably would have avoided that issue.

I distinctly remember being ANGRY when we lost to Ball State in 2012. I mean, livid! That was a big deal at the time as we were supposed to be in a different class of college football. The rest of that year and then McNeese State really changed my outlook on USF football. The demise of the Big East and being relegated to C-USA 2.0 has sealed the deal. I can throw my passion at USF football for 2-3 hours on Saturdays (or tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday), but, I can't do it 24/7 like I once did.

Conference USA had Louisville and TCU it was a million times better than the AAC.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  1

21 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

I’m sitting here in the hospital waiting for my wife to deliver our first baby (Tyler). I keep imagining bringing him to games once he’s old enough. That alone really excites me about the future. I didn’t grow up a Bulls fan, so I look forward to bringing him to USF events. The last 9 plus months have totally changed my outlook on things. Yes it would be nice to be in a better conference, but I’m still looking forward to making memories as a family. USF has given me a great career and I’ll support the Bulls forever. 

He will be leaving this hospital wearing USF gear. 

Congrats on the new family member. That is awesome. My friend and I have 6 season tix between us. We always reserve a few games for our sons to go with us. They love it. My son has been going to games since he was 3-4 he is now 8. He is a Bull through and through. You will really enjoy building that tradition with your son. Congrats again to you and your family. 

image.thumb.png.3968884eb9450ea88998972a67798e93.png

Edited by Nick Carroll
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Nick Carroll said:

Seems like people still have an issue of the chicken and the egg. Yes we need to be in a better conference but we wont get there by not filling our stadium. Tickets are cheap right now. grab a couple season tickets and go watch some games. I will be keeping my tickets. I have survived terrible seasons and I am feeling better about the future. 

I still go to the games it’s just not as fun, look around see the empty seats, see the people that are there sitting on their hands and being quiet. The games are not fun any more and haven’t been for a long time and anyone that is having fun is showing it in very strange ways that look a lot like they are falling asleep (but at least they are there which is more than can be said for half the stadium).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

1 minute ago, Nick Carroll said:

Congrats on the new family member. That is awesome. My friend and I have 6 season tix between us. We always reserve a few games for our sons to go with us. They love it. My son has been going to games since he was 3-4 he is now 8. He is a Bull through and through. You will really enjoy building that tradition with your son. Congrats again to you and your family. 

Thanks man I appreciate it. I love seeing kids at the games...they really are the future of USF Football. People forget our program is realitvely new. 

5 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

8EC60018-265A-4504-AEC9-86C5E6833099.png

We definitely have tons of fans we can afford to lose.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, Rex Havoc said:

Thanks man I appreciate it. I love seeing kids at the games...they really are the future of USF Football. People forget our program is realitvely new. 

That is true. We have grown faster and seen more success in our short time having a team. I look forward to great things in the future. We will be able to look back and say "remember when we were in the AAC" or "remember when we didnt even have our own stadium" 

• Upvote 1