• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Joey tweets on USF OCS feasibility study (Off Topic)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

USF endowment $442M

Some other school $153M

That is pretty darn low for a school of their size.  Then again, they've been tapping it to create a lot of their infrastructure...that's what it's for I guess.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

16 minutes ago, ucfbs said:

I'm really confused on the anti-UCF, pro-FAU stadium attitude, when FAU modeled their entire stadium (and their greater, "athletic village") in '07+ discussions after UCF's own '05+ plans, including inviting the same contractors, and using the same "erector set" building materials.

It's total rhetoric that is at-odds with reality.

FAU also ended up paying $70M, instead of the planned $45-55M, for the 35K seat design, because they waited 3 years.  UCF timed everything perfectly, from the stadium to the greater athletic village and arena, and got their stadium for a steal at under $50M ... for 45K (now more 43K with the tiki bar).  Even if it only lasts 25-30 years, instead of the planned 40, nothing can really touch the sheer alumni base and revenue UCF has built in just a dozen years.

And that's the bigger thing here ... 

One of these days the USF leadership will realize that an active rivalry with UCF, along with both taking "sustainable" approaches to both expenditures and financing, as the rivalry grows, is only going to benefit USF as much as UCF.  This sleight-of-logic with trying to laud FAU's stadium and athletic village, while ignoring the fact that it's based on UCF's approach, is just making everyone's eyes roll.  Yes, Ray Jay is a great avenue ... but USF's attendance would easily double, going on-campus, just like UCF did ... and UCF fans called it the "Citrus Dump" for a reason (like Legions Field here in Birmingham for UAB).

USF fans need to use logic and be objective.

The only mistake UCF made with its stadium was not building enough club seats.  UCF should have built twice as many for around another $5-10M.  Other programs have learned from that oversight.  UCF itself keeps debating when they are going to drop the $10-25M to expand both the club seats and, should attendance remain, expand to at least 53-56K (10K+ on the east side), if not the original, planned 65K (might be more 60K if there is more club seats), with a full C 3rd deck, which will literally double the initial costs.

Now the long-term structural issues at UCF Spectrum are more up for debate.

Was its design (engineering), construction (builder) or improper maintenance (UCF)?  It's likely a multitude of factors (builder on materials, UCF on maintenance for those materials).  In any case, the stadium is sound until at least the mid-2030s, it just might not last as long as the 40 years planned.  Especially since UCF put in -- and had the money to put in -- the $8M or so to fix things in early 2017, instead of waiting for any lawsuits to settle.

Other 'erector sets' are also in the same boat, depending on many factors.  How much will it cost over time?  Will their issues have the same as UCF's?

Associating with UCF has never been good for USF. We get it, everytime you get closer to us it has made your life better however it has been the complete opposite for us. The last thing USF needs in life is a stronger association with UCF, it’s embarrassing that we are in a conference with you and sharing a trophy that says War in I-4 is a depth I never thought our program would sink to. Dead and on the side of the road at 0-4 is where CJL was smart enough to try to leave you and if it were up to me Orlando would sprout a mountain so your team could Marshal itself out of the football world.

12 minutes ago, ucfbs said:

^^^ This is the problem.

How many conferences or even divisional titles has USF won 'without' UCF?  A program is most defined by how well it does in the conference it is associated with, and recruiting under that tag.

What has USF done on its own?

I get it, USF loved holding "we're in the Big East and you're not" over UCF.  But what did that do for USF other than a #2 ranking that barely lasted, and became the butt end of jokes in the years to come?

And now USF fans like yourself are 'taking credit' for UCF winning not 1, but 2 New Years Bowls.  Seriously?

Is this the same USF that Pitt's AD was complaining about on their way out?

Prior to the collapse of the big east and our fall to the depths of the AAC USF was always moving up in conference before it ever made it thru a recruiting cycle. Every conference we have ever been in before this rubbish was better than this conference since our inception and every handful of years we were moving up to bigger and better times and facing stiffer competition that wasn’t moving up but had been established. I know this is super hard to comprehend because you have always been garbage and played in garbage conferences and this is the best you have ever had it in life but sadly for us it’s the worst. Couple the constant climb up the mountain at a rate never seen in college sports and then the horrible decision of canning CJL and replacing him with a CSH and I am not shocked we haven’t won a conference championship and now that we are in the AAC I would be embarrassed to even collect the trophy unless it was immediately tosssed into the trash where this joke of a conference belongs.

Edited by puc86

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

@ucfbs You're on a USF message board and your asking us to stop with rhetoric when it comes to UCF?  Have you been to a UCF board?  We only bring you up when it's relevant to our situation, i.e. an OCS.  Those guys over there bring up USF all the freaking time.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

31 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Prior to the collapse of the big east and our fall to the depths of the AAC USF was always moving up in conference before it ever made it thru a recruiting cycle. Every conference we have ever been in before this rubbish was better than this conference since our inception and every handful of years we were moving up to bigger and better times and facing stiffer competition that wasn’t moving up but had been established. I know this is super hard to comprehend because you have always been garbage and played in garbage conferences and this is the best you have ever had it in life but sadly for us it’s the worst. Couple the constant climb up the mountain at a rate never seen in college sports and then the horrible decision of canning CJL and replacing him with a CSH and I am not shocked we haven’t won a conference championship and now that we are in the AAC I would be embarrassed to even collect the trophy unless it was immediately tosssed into the trash where this joke of a conference belongs.

So, what you’re saying is USF Football doesn’t try to win the AAC (“garbage conference”) because it’s beneath them and would embarrass it’s fans.

and...UCF is garbage, and has always played in garbage conferences, so they have been The American Conference Football Champions 3 Times.

21 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

So, what you’re saying is USF Football doesn’t try to win the AAC (“garbage conference”) because it’s beneath them and would embarrass it’s fans.

and...UCF is garbage, and has always played in garbage conferences, so they have been The American Conference Football Champions 3 Times.

No I am saying that prior to ending up in the garbage AAC we had less of a chance of winning a conference since we were always in a stronger conference than UCF and that we were always moving up in the college football world. Then we fired CJL and hired CSH, things went to hell, it took a while to recoup and then we ended up in the AAC where I as a fan do not care if we ever win a conference in since we have already lost by competing in this conference. I do not think this is an official USF position or that all coaches players and admins feel the same way and are not trying. What I am painfully aware of is to 99.99% of the America it doesn’t matter if you win the AAC or not because no one knows or cares who won. Go tell 100 random people USF won the AAC for the past 10 years and all of them will believe you but say “so what who cares?”

Edited by puc86
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, ucfbs said:

Please state how UCF's stadium is "going to be condemned in 5 years"?

At the start of 2017, had UCF not made $8M in improvements, it was likely UCF's stadium wouldn't last 25 years, from its planned 40 years.  Now the question is will it last 25-30 years?  Or will get get close to the original, 40 year design?

Let me say that again ... UCF could have forgone $8M in improvements, and it would still be safe for another 10.  But another 15 might have been a stretch.  But UCF had the money.  It did what needed to be done.

UCF is embroiled in a lawsuit over what caused it.  The claims are maintenance (UCF) v. builder (non-UCF) v. engineer (non-UCF).  So far it looks like the builder didn't follow the engineer's recommendations on materials (especially around the fasteners), and UCF has been maintaining it like had it been using the engineer materials.  Hence why UCF has a case, and it will likely lead to a settlement (monetary).

But understand FAU and others are in the same boat too.  It's the same design!  It's only designed to last 40 years, at most.

Please be objective in your criticisms of UCF.  Stop spewing rhetoric that only undermines the discussion for USF's own benefit.

Because I said so!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

Because I said so!!!!!

3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Has anyone mentioned that ucf blows yet?

^These are good points^

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

27 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Has anyone mentioned that ucf blows yet?

18 minutes ago, ucfbs said:

Despite all of the non-sense, a lot of UCF fans aren't being arrogant (not even after 2 NY Bowl wins) still actually want to see a strong USF.  Why?  Because a lot of UCF fans aren't arrogant enough to overlook the obviousness of the truth.  And some USF fans see it too.  As the TV ratings this past November only proved, a strong UCF and a strong USF make for a powerful package, when it comes down to Black Friday ... stronger than Florida and FSU.

This is really about long-term survival.  Because understand this ...

2022-2023 isn't far away.  That's when the Big XII TV deals implode.  When that happens, we may be looking at the end of the Big XII, with the resulting "Power 4 picking up the pieces."  Then ESPN will have it's perfect, "4 team bracket" for the play-offs.  Laugh all you want, but this is an extremely plausible scenario.  A strong UCF-USF rivalry, with the sheer TV numbers, makes us a very solid target for the ACC or SEC.

Many say the SEC or ACC wouldn't want 3 or even 4 teams from Florida ... but they kinda already have such in other states, so it's not exactly true.

Don't shoot the messenger.

That’s because you have never been chosen over us and we have been chosen over you. Better off together is just nonsense and we are better off on our own. It’s hard enough to talk a conference into taking a gamble on just one of us, there is no conference that’s looking to double down on their long shot bet and take both of us as evidenced by this last expansion shut out in the big 12 and every single expansion that’s taken place since the expansion carousel ride began. USF is best off alone and on field success has nothing to do with expansion, see Boise vs Rutgers but bless your little heart that you think two successful seasons will have any bearing on where you end up. Deep down you know we are better than you and that’s why you are here seeking our approval and we aren’t on your message board seeking yours.

18 minutes ago, ucfbs said:

Serious question ... how is UCF's stadium a POS, but FAU's is not?

Can someone please answer that for me?

They are both a pos much like ucf and the aac, does that make you feel better?