• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rays announce new stadium design for Ybor location

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

14 hours ago, JTrue said:

Thank you.  That's fair.  It's always best to get big projects like that done with as few people in the know as possible - the more people involved, the longer it takes to get stuff done.  

I think it will be beneficial for Cobb in the long run.  But Atlanta is a Braves town above all else in pro sports.  I don't know enough about baseball in the Tampa Bay area to know what exactly it would take to be successful.  

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

16 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I don't know enough about baseball in the Tampa Bay area to know what exactly it would take to be successful.  

Henry Rowengartner

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

Henry Rowengartner

He does look Cuban enough.  

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

I was at SunTrust Park this summer.  Tons to do in the park along with watching the game and the Battery Park area is nice. Several restaurants, bars, shopping and areas to hang out.  It should be a popular spot year round.  Parking was a bit of a nightmare.  We ended up a few blocks over in a separate county as my son pointed put as we were walking to the stadium.  

I suspect it will be a model for what the Rays stadium and surrounding area looks like in Ybor.  Couple it with Vinik's new Channelside vision and the River Walk and you should have an attractive downtown/ybor area.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Again, I'm not doubting there's a plan. If you've ever been to National Stadium in DC, the area is gorgeous. Lots to do, tons of new construction going up, a lot of stuff going on. But... numerous studies have shown that the return on the taxpayer investment never works. Maybe the Braves found a formula that will break even or put the county ahead. It's totally possible. I am completely aware that there isn't a way to quantify having a professional sports team in dollars. My point was that in the last 20 years, the amount the people have paid under the umbrella of "investment in community" has NEVER broke even in money coming back to the people who paid for the stadium. Football or baseball.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/page1-econ/2017-05-01/the-economics-of-subsidizing-sports-stadiums/

Here's one take on it from St. Louis. 

https://news.stanford.edu/2015/07/30/stadium-economics-noll-073015/

Another from a Stanford economist.

This is the key quote that applies. Stadiums will never break even. But cities can decide whether building a new one is a cost the city pays for having a team.

Ultimately, Noll acknowledged, cities can decide whether to view these facilities as a form of “public consumption” rather than as financial investments.

Edited by JTrue