• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

TBT: BullsEYE Magazine

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

All I have without unpacking and searching

1118803380_IMG_0349(1).JPG.6db984d399bc817f54e0f8dfb6f071ce.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Days Won:  55

So the backstory on this thing . . .

After graduating USF and interning with long time SID John Gerdes in the Sports Information office, I spent the first decade of my career writing, editing, designing sports at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune and then St. Petersburg Times. When I left journalism in 1995, I went to work as the communications director at USF-Sarasota/New College. A year later, we were talking football and then launching with those three odd little intrasquad scrimmages folks might remember in 1996. I helped with the execution of the one in Sarasota. I also got the bright idea that USF was someday going to need its own independent sports publication similar to GatorBait, etc. Why not me?

I did a bunch of research to see how I might be able to pull that off and, by 1998, I had a formal business plan to do it and left my job on campus. Thanks to my relationship with John Gerdes (thanks, Puff Daddy!), he was able to get me an audience with then-Athletic Director Paul Griffin to make my pitch. Paul was great, loved the idea and gave me his stamp of approval and some amazing support. He purchased the first group of subscriptions for primary supporters of the program, and allowed me to hitch a ride and a hotel room with the football team. I roomed with school photographer - and long time buddy - Tom Wagner, who also did all the shooting for the publication. Tom later went on to become director of photography for the Tampa Bay Bucs.

I produced the publication weekly during football and basketball seasons and monthly during the summer. I had some great contributors who wrote columns from time to time -- Jim Lighthall, T.J. Rives, Brett McMurphy, etc. I did the bulk of the writing, all of the layout, sold the ads, had it commercially printed in Bradenton, stuck mailing labels and bulk-rate mailed it (with my Dad's help). I worked 24/7 to get it done and out to subscribers week after week. My wife and family were unbelievable in their support during this crazy time.

In traveling with the team, I got a view of the early days of the program that I now recognize was just amazing. The student-athletes and coaches were - in general - fantastic. I had HUGE support, encouragement and access from Seth Greenberg and his staff, Eddie Cardieri and Jose Fernandez. Football assistants like Mike Canales, Rod Smith, Wally Burnham, Rick Kravitz, Earl Lane, etc. were so amazing to work with. Jim Leavitt was Jekyll and Hyde. He and I had a complicated relationship - although I figure that's his relationship with most people. I have about a thousand stories from those three years of publication that would make you all laugh, cry and everything in between.

At one point I had hooked up with superfan Chris Gallen (aka USFreak). He was hosting a site at USFBulls.com and he offered to turn it into USFBullsEYE.com. That worked out nicely as a home for the magazine. I think Brad launched this site not long after. Rivals.com was also in its infant stages then and eventually there was a USF site there run by grad Kevin Ellerbrock and former USF hoops star Brian Lamb. I got to be good friends with them and eventually partnered with them at Rivals.com.

After three years publishing as a print product, I was wearing out and the magazine was still not at break even. I'd poured in a lot of sweat and money. I also had a one-year-old daughter. I decided to cease publishing and go solely online at Rivals - a very difficult decision - and go back to work full time. Kevin and Brian had moved on to other things and I then spent the next 7-8 years managing USFBullsEYE.com at Rivals.com. I eventually turned that over to a new publisher around 2008, if memory serves.

So many great memories . . .

Chilling and shooting the breeze late night in the media lounge with a cigar-smoking Bob Huggins at the C-USA Tournament

Sitting with the football team on the tarmac in the middle of the night in Waco waiting for a new charter flight after our original was grounded

Lee Roy Selmon!

Seeing Lake Gibson High's Matt Grothe for the first time at USF's 7-on-7 and breaking the story of his commitment

Being the first news outlet to report that USF would play SDSU in its first game vs. a I-A opponent - and then being there for it!

Too many others to recount

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

34 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

So the backstory on this thing . . .

After graduating USF and interning with long time SID John Gerdes in the Sports Information office, I spent the first decade of my career writing, editing, designing sports at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune and then St. Petersburg Times. When I left journalism in 1995, I went to work as the communications director at USF-Sarasota/New College. A year later, we were talking football and then launching with those three odd little intrasquad scrimmages folks might remember in 1996. I helped with the execution of the one in Sarasota. I also got the bright idea that USF was someday going to need its own independent sports publication similar to GatorBait, etc. Why not me?

I did a bunch of research to see how I might be able to pull that off and, by 1998, I had a formal business plan to do it and left my job on campus. Thanks to my relationship with John Gerdes (thanks, Puff Daddy!), he was able to get me an audience with then-Athletic Director Paul Griffin to make my pitch. Paul was great, loved the idea and gave me his stamp of approval and some amazing support. He purchased the first group of subscriptions for primary supporters of the program, and allowed me to hitch a ride and a hotel room with the football team. I roomed with school photographer - and long time buddy - Tom Wagner, who also did all the shooting for the publication. Tom later went on to become director of photography for the Tampa Bay Bucs.

I produced the publication weekly during football and basketball seasons and monthly during the summer. I had some great contributors who wrote columns from time to time -- Jim Lighthall, T.J. Rives, Brett McMurphy, etc. I did the bulk of the writing, all of the layout, sold the ads, had it commercially printed in Bradenton, stuck mailing labels and bulk-rate mailed it (with my Dad's help). I worked 24/7 to get it done and out to subscribers week after week. My wife and family were unbelievable in their support during this crazy time.

In traveling with the team, I got a view of the early days of the program that I now recognize was just amazing. The student-athletes and coaches were - in general - fantastic. I had HUGE support, encouragement and access from Seth Greenberg and his staff, Eddie Cardieri and Jose Fernandez. Football assistants like Mike Canales, Rod Smith, Wally Burnham, Rick Kravitz, Earl Lane, etc. were so amazing to work with. Jim Leavitt was Jekyll and Hyde. He and I had a complicated relationship - although I figure that's his relationship with most people. I have about a thousand stories from those three years of publication that would make you all laugh, cry and everything in between.

At one point I had hooked up with superfan Chris Gallen (aka USFreak). He was hosting a site at USFBulls.com and he offered to turn it into USFBullsEYE.com. That worked out nicely as a home for the magazine. I think Brad launched this site not long after. Rivals.com was also in its infant stages then and eventually there was a USF site there run by grad Kevin Ellerbrock and former USF hoops star Brian Lamb. I got to be good friends with them and eventually partnered with them at Rivals.com.

After three years publishing as a print product, I was wearing out and the magazine was still not at break even. I'd poured in a lot of sweat and money. I also had a one-year-old daughter. I decided to cease publishing and go solely online at Rivals - a very difficult decision - and go back to work full time. Kevin and Brian had moved on to other things and I then spent the next 7-8 years managing USFBullsEYE.com at Rivals.com. I eventually turned that over to a new publisher around 2008, if memory serves.

So many great memories . . .

Chilling and shooting the breeze late night in the media lounge with a cigar-smoking Bob Huggins at the C-USA Tournament

Sitting with the football team on the tarmac in the middle of the night in Waco waiting for a new charter flight after our original was grounded

Lee Roy Selmon!

Seeing Lake Gibson High's Matt Grothe for the first time at USF's 7-on-7 and breaking the story of his commitment

Being the first news outlet to report that USF would play SDSU in its first game vs. a I-A opponent - and then being there for it!

Too many others to recount

Wow...that is is some story and what great memories you have of the football program in its infant stage. Seriously, you should write a book about those times, many of us would by multiple copies (indeed, there should be a book about that first year of FB). Hanging with the coaches, seeing Matt for the first time...pretty cool stuff. Thanks again for sharing. 

• Upvote 1

The Grothe thing was actually funny how that all played out. I went to watch his particular 7-on-7 game because USF was supposedly very hot after the QB prospect his team was playing - Dennis Brown from Miami Central, a tall, rangy kid that eventually signed with UConn but never really did anything. In any event, Matthew completely and totally outplayed him and I ended up running into Matt's Dad. We talked for a good long time. O-Coordinator Rod Smith obviously took notice too and USF offered Grothe that afternoon. Matthew's Dad emailed me on the way home from the camp to tell me he had committed and I reported it online. It barely made a ripple at the time because our fan base was very much focused on another QB we eventually signed - Carlton Hill. 

Edited by Dave_Glaser

45 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

The Grothe thing was actually funny how that all played out. I went to watch his particular 7-on-7 game because USF was supposedly very hot after the QB prospect his team was playing - Dennis Brown from Miami Central, a tall, rangy kid that eventually signed with UConn but never really did anything. In any event, Matthew completely and totally outplayed him and I ended up running into Matt's Dad. We talked for a good long time. O-Coordinator Rod Smith obviously took notice too and USF offered Grothe that afternoon. Matthew's Dad emailed me on the way home from the camp to tell me he had committed and I reported it online. It barely made a ripple at the time because our fan base was very much focused on another QB we eventually signed - Carlton Hill. 

Carlton Hill...a name I can never forget for all of the wrong reasons. That is interesting you were there at the point on Matt’s signing. I always wondered how he came to USF. I had no idea he was did the 7 on 7 competitions. Glad Rod Smith saw that talent too (I believe he is unemployed now that Rich Rod is out at Arizona). I do remember Matt’s dad being on this board while his son was playing (I believe his name was “Flipflops” or something like that) giving us info on things behind the scenes. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

I agree on the suggestion of a book.

While the economics might not be here (yet), it would be fantastic to have one day. 

And Chris used to post here, many may remember @USFreak .  I recently posted a link to his novel in the book club.

Thanks for the stories Dave.   I’m sure there are more to enjoy.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Carlton Hill...a name I can never forget for all of the wrong reasons. That is interesting you were there at the point on Matt’s signing. I always wondered how he came to USF. I had no idea he was did the 7 on 7 competitions. Glad Rod Smith saw that talent too (I believe he is unemployed now that Rich Rod is out at Arizona). I do remember Matt’s dad being on this board while his son was playing (I believe his name was “Flipflops” or something like that) giving us info on things behind the scenes. 

Rod Smith landed at Illinois after Rich Rod's canning at Arizona, so we'll see him this season.

3 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Rod Smith landed at Illinois after Rich Rod's canning at Arizona, so we'll see him this season.

Wow...the coaching fraternity is always interesting. Traditionally we matched up well against his WVU offenses when we played him in the past. Don’t think UI has the players to run the up tempo Rod offense though. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Seriously, you should write a book

My first thought  ↑ ↑ ↑

Second thought - Hall of Fame post.

GO BULLS!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1,340
  • Days Won:  2

Dave, thanks for sharing.  I always paid a little more attention to your posts and now I know why your name is stuck in my head.  It's due to all the great work you did with USF in the early years (I was in the class of 96).

• Upvote 1