• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Basketball Adds LSU Transfer Kiir

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

TAMPA, JUNE 15, 2018 – University of South Florida head men's basketball coach Brian Gregory has announced the addition of 6-foot-9, transfer forward Mayan Kiir to the Bulls' roster.

A former Bay Area standout at Victory Rock Prep in Bradenton, Fla., Kiir comes to USF from LSU, where he saw action in eight games as a freshman last season. Rated a four-star prospect by ESPN, Kiir is the seventh member of USF's 2018 signing class and the third from Victory Rock Prep. He will sit out the 2018-19 season under NCAA transfer rules.

Kiir is the second Division I transfer addition to USF's 2018 class as he joins Oklahoma State transfer Zack Dawson (Miami, Fla.), a 6-foot-3 guard who was also rated a four-star prospect and will sit out the 2018-19.

image"We are pleased to welcome Mayan into our program. He will be a tremendous addition to the Bulls' family," Gregory said. "Mayan has great versatility in his game. He can play with power and strength around the basket while being very skilled and explosive from the perimeter. A proven winner with high-level work ethic, Mayan will greatly impact our program."

Rest of article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  2

I know a lot of you are a bit skeptical or don't want to put all your feelings on the line (again). I'm an alumni and a relatively new USF sports fan, BUT I'm for some reason hopeful and looking forward to the MBB season...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

We have a crap load of former 3/4 star transfers looking for a fresh start, a bunch of freshman coming here fir an opportunity for early playing time. Nothing but opportunity for all players. The hungriest shall get the most playing time. This year NIT minimum and big dance the following year. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

We have a crap load of former 3/4 star transfers looking for a fresh start, a bunch of freshman coming here fir an opportunity for early playing time. Nothing but opportunity for all players. The hungriest shall get the most playing time. This year NIT minimum and big dance the following year. 

I hope no one plans on evaluating coach Gregory until at least 2019 and saying NIT minimum this season is absurd.

The two 4-Star players both have to sit per transfer rules in 2018 so they won’t even be on the court until 2019. 

The new freshman, JUCO transfers, guys like Justin Brown and David Collins who had valuable reps last season, plus the transfers that sat last year and are eligible will all be able to contribute this season; but I wouldn’t expect anything tangible yet. Hopefully they can continue the play from late last season and find their game. 

I’m definitely all in on Gregory as a program builder as he has replaced this entire roster in two cycles. That’s nothing short of remarkable. I’m just hoping no fans start calling for his head prematurely because the results aren’t there. Last year was Year -1 IMO and this year is Year 0. Let’s seee what his coaching chops are in 2019. Everything else is gravy.

Edited by Ionbull
  • Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, Ionbull said:

I hope no one plans on evaluating coach Gregory until at least 2019 and saying NIT minimum this season is absurd.

+1, I'm hoping for an improvement on overall record and more than 4 conference wins, maybe even a win in the AAC tourney

Edited by cophbulls

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

No way NIT happens. This team is not winning 18 games...

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

No way NIT happens. This team is not winning 18 games...

Thing is, this team could win 18 games ...... could win 8. It's a total crap shoot when you've got 1 out of your top 7 scorers returning from a team that went 10-22. One good thing, though, is that it keeps those who need to throw expectations on USF teams pretty much in check ....

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

Right now we have no low post scoring unless Yetna turns into a beast

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

5 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

I feel Yeltna will be a beast. He just needs to be fed inside. We don't know yet because the Euro game isn't played that way. The Euros are more finess and do a little of every thing. Yeltna just needs to be taught to hold ground and use his size and strength more.

4 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

or Durr, Maricevic does ...... can always hope that Big Nik has a Manderson-like improvement leap. So, so many unknowns going into this season, similar to last season but at least this year you've got some guard experience coming back.