• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sporting News Coach Rankings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Hopefully you're not referring to me. It's pretty well known around these parts that I'm a huge CWT fan. But it's nothing but the truth that he lacks real on the field accomplishments. Turning around programs is a great resume builder but great coaches win big games and CWT has yet to do that. He's in a position to do that for a very long time and now it's time to prove it. If you want to compare resumes of similar age coaches look at somebody like Tom Herman and what he did before he got the UT Job.... I love me some CWT and will forever be grateful for what he did at USF but he's still relatively unproven in a few ways. For the record, I think he kills it at FSU.... 

Hard to argue with Dozer as usual ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

9 hours ago, charsibb said:

Upshot: Strong is #32 and Taggart is #35. Ho-hum. Nothing to see here.

They should settle it on the field, but one is 🐓.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

12 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Hopefully you're not referring to me. It's pretty well known around these parts that I'm a huge CWT fan. But it's nothing but the truth that he lacks real on the field accomplishments. Turning around programs is a great resume builder but great coaches win big games and CWT has yet to do that. He's in a position to do that for a very long time and now it's time to prove it. If you want to compare resumes of similar age coaches look at somebody like Tom Herman and what he did before he got the UT Job.... I love me some CWT and will forever be grateful for what he did at USF but he's still relatively unproven in a few ways. For the record, I think he kills it at FSU.... 

half this board loves to take shots at Taggart. didn't single anybody out.

the comparison that was made was between Taggart and Strong. Look at where they both were at 41. it's not even close.

Herman is 43. He walked into a perfect situation in Houston. they finished the season 6-2 and won a bowl game against a P5 program the year before Herman arrived. not exactly a rebuild job.

He caught fire for 1 year.

In his second year they finished 4th in the AAC west division.

That's nothing close to turning around 2 programs that were absolute disasters when he got there and leading a P5 program that won 4 games the year before to a top 10 offensive finish without his starting QB for a good chunk of the season all before the ripe old age of 41.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

45 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

half this board loves to take shots at Taggart. didn't single anybody out.

the comparison that was made was between Taggart and Strong. Look at where they both were at 41. it's not even close.

Herman is 43. He walked into a perfect situation in Houston. they finished the season 6-2 and won a bowl game against a P5 program the year before Herman arrived. not exactly a rebuild job.

He caught fire for 1 year.

In his second year they finished 4th in the AAC west division.

That's nothing close to turning around 2 programs that were absolute disasters when he got there and leading a P5 program that won 4 games the year before to a top 10 offensive finish without his starting QB for a good chunk of the season all before the ripe old age of 41.

All of those things are true and great, but the reason xCWT is ranked where he is is because, at some point, you have to turn potential into on field victories. But how high should you rank potential over results? Apparently, results get more weight.

In three years at WKU, he won 1 game against an opponent with a winning record. In four years at USF, he won 5 games against winning teams. At Oregon, he exploded for 3 wins against a team that finished .500. He's never won a bowl game. And his signature victory for his coaching career is, what, 2012 WKU over Arkansas State? 2016 USF over Navy? 

He has made a phenomenal career out of building up programs and moving on to the next big thing, but those days are over. FSU isn't rebuilding and there's no where up to go. Now he has to do the one thing he's never done in his career, win big games against difficult opponents. If he does it, he'll rocket up this list. If he doesn't, he won't be the first coach, player, etc. who was all sizzle and no steak.

Edited by JTrue

17 minutes ago, JTrue said:

All of those things are true and great, but the reason xCWT is ranked where he is is because, at some point, you have to turn potential into on field victories. But how high should you rank potential over results? Apparently, results get more weight.

In three years at WKU, he won 1 game against an opponent with a winning record. In four years at USF, he won 5 games against winning teams. At Oregon, he exploded for 3 wins against a team that finished .500. He's never won a bowl game. And his signature victory for his coaching career is, what, 2012 WKU over Arkansas State? 2016 USF over Navy? 

He has made a phenomenal career out of building up programs and moving on to the next big thing, but those days are over. FSU isn't rebuilding and there's no where up to go. Now he has to do the one thing he's never done in his career, win big games against difficult opponents. If he does it, he'll rocket up this list. If he doesn't, he won't be the first coach, player, etc. who was all sizzle and no steak.

I don't disagree where he is ranked. I also believe there are plenty of current coaches with better resumes but if you were to compare their resumes at 41 to his current resume then it's not even close. Not many guys would be on a list like this at the age of 41 let alone ranked this high. Most of them hadn't even been a HC yet.

Nick Saban hadn't even been a head coach by the time he was 41. Taggart has already completely rebuilt 2 programs and proven he can run a top 10 offense in the P5. I have no idea what his future holds but he has earned his current position and I won't be surprised to see him become the first African American HC as national champ.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I don't disagree where he is ranked. I also believe there are plenty of current coaches with better resumes but if you were to compare their resumes at 41 to his current resume then it's not even close. Not many guys would be on a list like this at the age of 41 let alone ranked this high. Most of them hadn't even been a HC yet.

Nick Saban hadn't even been a head coach by the time he was 41. Taggart has already completely rebuilt 2 programs and proven he can run a top 10 offense in the P5. I have no idea what his future holds but he has earned his current position and I won't be surprised to see him become the first African American HC as national champ.

The age argument does nothing for me. That first head coaching job is so much more about timing and location than it is ability. For sure, xCWT has accomplished more at 41 than others, but that means almost nothing when predicting what he'll do in the next 20 years, as you pointed out with the Saban comparison.

39 minutes ago, JTrue said:

The age argument does nothing for me. That first head coaching job is so much more about timing and location than it is ability. For sure, xCWT has accomplished more at 41 than others, but that means almost nothing when predicting what he'll do in the next 20 years, as you pointed out with the Saban comparison.

I'm sure career trajectory has some correlation to ultimate career success.

where you are at 40 has a lot to do with where you get by 65 in any career.

Urban Meyer became a HC at 37.

Obviously you can't predict the future with any certainty but odds are pretty good that Taggart is well on his way to a very successful career as a HC.

He earned his way  to a top 10 job in college football. He didn't just fall into it like Tom Herman with 1 good year at Houston with someone else's players.Taggart has 8 years of experience as a HC. 2 big turnarounds and a year running a top 10 offense for a P5 team. Not many can say that by the time they reached 41.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

15 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I'm sure career trajectory has some correlation to ultimate career success.

where you are at 40 has a lot to do with where you get by 65 in any career.

Urban Meyer became a HC at 37.

Obviously you can't predict the future with any certainty but odds are pretty good that Taggart is well on his way to a very successful career as a HC.

He earned his way  to a top 10 job in college football. He didn't just fall into it like Tom Herman with 1 good year at Houston with someone else's players.Taggart has 8 years of experience as a HC. 2 big turnarounds and a year running a top 10 offense for a P5 team. Not many can say that by the time they reached 41.

Herman was 22-4 at Houston and preceded a coach who went a very unimpressive 21-17 and had multiple wins against elite programs and won a BCS bowl.  Let's not pretend he followed Sumlin's tenure  and not Tony Levine's......  Those guys who weren't his weren't setting the world on fire before he got there, pretty sure that says a ton about his coaching ability and as a game day coach. That doesn't even get into what he did as an OC before Houston which is very impressive as well.....But I digress....

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,341
  • Days Won:  0

You guys seriously need to take age out of the equation.Why does that even matter.

Step back and look at the context of their careers. Stats do not tell the entire story.

4 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Herman was 22-4 at Houston and preceded a coach who went a very unimpressive 21-17 and had multiple wins against elite programs and won a BCS bowl.  Let's not pretend he followed Sumlin's tenure  and not Tony Levine's......  Those guys who weren't his weren't setting the world on fire before he got there, pretty sure that says a ton about his coaching ability and as a game day coach. That doesn't even get into what he did as an OC before Houston which is very impressive as well.....But I digress....

Herman coached 2 years at Houston.

in his 2nd year he finished 4th in the vaunted AAC West division.

He was setup for success as Houston went 6-2 in the last 8 games before he arrived and won a bowl game against a P5 team.

He caught lightning in a bottle.

BTW I could look like an offensive guru under urban Meyer