• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sporting News Coach Rankings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

47 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

How did CCS do at Texas?  How did he do in the Big12.

If I’m not mistaken, he holds the record for the lowest winning percentage of any football coach ever at UT.

He's also won a BCS bowl where he smacked down a SEC power,  a career record of 63-39, 2 Conference titles, and is 4-2 in Bowl games.   Yes, his tenure at Texas was a failure but there was a ton working against him from his 1st day on the job and it was always a weird fit because he never really had any ties or experience out there.   

Don't get me wrong I think CWT has a very high ceiling as a coach but he's been building his reputation on "Potential" and recruiting ability. CWT has maybe 1 more season before potential becomes a four letter word when you describe him.  He very well could be on his way to being one of the top coaches in the country or he could end up not being ready for a challenge like FSU and could end up being run out of town like CCS was at Texas.   But as it stands now, his resume just doesn't stack up to CCS.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

He's also won a BCS bowl where he smacked down a SEC power,  a career record of 63-39, 2 Conference titles, and is 4-2 in Bowl games.   Yes, his tenure at Texas was a failure but there was a ton working against him from his 1st day on the job and it was always a weird fit because he never really had any ties or experience out there.   

Don't get me wrong I think CWT a very high ceiling as a coach but he's been building his reputation on "Potential" and recruiting ability.   He very well could be on his way to being one of the top coaches in the country or he could end up not being ready for a challenge like FSU and could end up being run out of town like CCS was at Texas.   But as it stands now, his resume just doesn't stack up to CCS.  

I agree with this. CWT may end up doing great at FSU, but as the stats stand right now he’s got a losing record and has only stayed with a team long enough to record one bowl game, and a loss at that. I get that CWT has been great at rebuilding programs but at some point stability and steady winning would have to be shown if there’s proof that he’s better than some coaches listed before him. Heck, he’s even got a lot of work today before he gets his winning record up to .500. 

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,495
  • Days Won:  10

xCWT is in a great position now in that he can use his recruiting skills to bring in top players and then afford to bring in and keep top assistant coaches to help make up for any game day coaching deficiencies he has.

It sure would have been nice to pay and and keep the Tom Allens and others who were difference-makers.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

comparing these two coaches is insane. one is 41 and is on a rocket ship trajectory for his career. the other is 57 and has probably peaked. of course the older guy has a better resume.

Strong was into his 3rd year at his first DC job when he was 41.

Taggart is now HC of his 4th program (2 of them being top National programs) where he has proven himself as a very good rebuilder at the ripe old age of 41.

not sure why people bash the man who resurrected our program.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Nobody said anything bad about Taggart and didn’t bash him at all... only that it’s hard to compare resumé’s. Rocket ship trajectory or not, one has a losing record with less experience than the other. It’s a fact. Everything else is speculation on the future...

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

I think CCS is ranked way to low. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

comparing these two coaches is insane. one is 41 and is on a rocket ship trajectory for his career. the other is 57 and has probably peaked. of course the older guy has a better resume.

Strong was into his 3rd year at his first DC job when he was 41.

Taggart is now HC of his 4th program (2 of them being top National programs) where he has proven himself as a very good rebuilder at the ripe old age of 41.

Hopefully you're not referring to me. It's pretty well known around these parts that I'm a huge CWT fan. But it's nothing but the truth that he lacks real on the field accomplishments. Turning around programs is a great resume builder but great coaches win big games and CWT has yet to do that. He's in a position to do that for a very long time and now it's time to prove it. If you want to compare resumes of similar age coaches look at somebody like Tom Herman and what he did before he got the UT Job.... I love me some CWT and will forever be grateful for what he did at USF but he's still relatively unproven in a few ways. For the record, I think he kills it at FSU.... 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If I am not mistaken CCS is the top ranked "G5" coach. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

7 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

I don't agree.

Strong took better jobs and did okay(at UL). Willie took on projects and built them up. Based on last year I would put Willie over Strong, but I think it is close.

Exactly this.