• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

NCAA changes redshirt rule

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

This rule actually hurts schools like us.  Playing time is a big draw and if they can get a quarter of a season at a P5 and still get four more years...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I wonder how this is going to affect our academic standing since it'll reduce our overall 4-year graduation rate for athletes...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,207
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

This is huge. Q would be a senior if this was a rule 4 years ago ugh. 

The stats that I saw had him appearing in 5 games in 2014, although only stats for 4 (maybe he just handed off one game?) ...... but if that rule was in place, I assume CWT wouldn't have put him in a 5th game, so still don't want to think about it and him playing this year.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,330
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

This rule actually hurts schools like us.  Playing time is a big draw and if they can get a quarter of a season at a P5 and still get four more years...

This was my thought as well.

Big schools can keep more recruits happy by giving them the four games which could keep them around in theory.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I bet most of these kids get serious PT during those meaningless bowl game. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

It’s basically an extension of the current medical redshirt rule which allowed a player to play in 4 games, have an injury and then have 4 more years of eligibility. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Did it not used to have a game number attached to it? I seem to remember it being something like a percentage of overall plays AND none in the second half of the season. This doesn't seem to address the second half stipulation, so no one is playing in a bowl game and getting to keep their redshirt. Or is the read on this, you can be hurt for the first 9 games, then play the last 4 and still get a redshirt?

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

How is this going to effect my TBP rank?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,207
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

Did it not used to have a game number attached to it? I seem to remember it being something like a percentage of overall plays AND none in the second half of the season. This doesn't seem to address the second half stipulation, so no one is playing in a bowl game and getting to keep their redshirt. Or is the read on this, you can be hurt for the first 9 games, then play the last 4 and still get a redshirt?

The link in the op to the NCAA release seems to indicate that there is no longer a second half stipulation:

College athletes competing in Division I football can participate in up to four games in a season without using a season of competition, the Division I Council decided this week at its meeting in Indianapolis.

Division I student-athletes have five years to compete in up to four seasons of competition. The new exception allows football players to preserve a season of competition if, for example, injuries or other factors result in them competing in a small number of games.

Maybe there's more limiting details in the actual rule but you'd think that would have mentioned there. From that, it appears to be pretty cut and dried. Participating in only 4 games doesn't count as one of the 4 years.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

The link in the op to the NCAA release seems to indicate that there is no longer a second half stipulation:

College athletes competing in Division I football can participate in up to four games in a season without using a season of competition, the Division I Council decided this week at its meeting in Indianapolis.

Division I student-athletes have five years to compete in up to four seasons of competition. The new exception allows football players to preserve a season of competition if, for example, injuries or other factors result in them competing in a small number of games.

Maybe there's more limiting details in the actual rule but you'd think that would have mentioned there. From that, it appears to be pretty cut and dried. Participating in only 4 games doesn't count as one of the 4 years.

That’s how I understood it as well.