• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  11,947
  • Days Won:  25

I never watched him play because I did not attend until 2007.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

32 minutes ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

BJ was great, but Grothe is my favorite. He is a local Polk County boy and he has our biggest win to date against WV. Personally I think the order terms of best players for USF at qb are 1) QF 2) BJ 3)MG . Now who has the biggest wins in school history.

1)  MG WV

2) BJ FSU

3) Bobby Eveld/BJ Miami

4) BJ NIU

5) MG, QF, BJ all beat  UCF

6) QF TT

7) QF SC

My memory may be a foggy but I believe that is all correct.

Louisville 2005

Auburn 2007

Kansas 2008

Notre Dame 2011

All much bigger wins than NIU, Texas Tech, or South Carolina.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Matt won almost all of the big games that I can remember. He and Q were the greatest of USF FB leaders. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  11,947
  • Days Won:  25

Auburn was a huge win. How could I forget!?

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

15 hours ago, Calibull said:

No... I remember his first start when CJL was still coach.  He had a big arm... but no... his 40 when he was with the Seahawks was 4.6.  He's quick but he was never really fast.  I remember BJs entire career... they said he ran a 4.5 in high school... he was a solid 4.6 guy, always was. Coach Taggart never coached Flowers up... he was Taggarts offense.  Also... to be honest, the Big East, while a wealthy conference, was not that much tougher than the American.  They just had a seat at the table, the teams weren't all that much better.  I'd say just look at now the former teams are performing in power conferences.  Basketball.... sure... just better and better competition.  Football... nah. 

Yes I remember Q's first year as well. Again not sure of the point.  He wasn't exactly the Q we came to know at that time either. Further,  I am talking about entire careers. 

Also if I am understanding you correctly Skip Holtz, a guy who decimated our program and is now coaching in s bottom rung G5 conferences provided equal guidance/preparation and put his players in an as good or better position to be successful than Willie Taggart, the guy who resurrected our program and who has since moved on to one of the most storied programs in college football history.  Also you feel the BE = the AAC.  Did you happen to notice our SOS the last 2 years, (Q's best 2 seasons), particularly 2017??   You are talking apples and oranges to the level BJ faced.   

We'll just agree to disagree. 

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Also for those saying JPP was a better athlete I would argue that being able to accurately throw a football long distances between freakishly athletic DBs while avoiding speeding rushers requires an exceptional level of athleticism, more so than say being able to do like a hundred backflips in a row...

8 minutes ago, beastiebull said:

Also for those saying JPP was a better athlete I would argue that being able to accurately throw a football long distances between freakishly athletic DBs while avoiding speeding rushers requires an exceptional level of athleticism, more so than say being able to do like a hundred backflips in a row...

That backflip is what people remember him more than his actual play. It was just surreal to see him do that. But I agree BJ was the better athlete and it is not even close. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, beastiebull said:

Yes I remember Q's first year as well. Again not sure of the point.  He wasn't exactly the Q we came to know at that time either. Further,  I am talking about entire careers. 

Also if I am understanding you correctly Skip Holtz, a guy who decimated our program and is now coaching in s bottom rung G5 conferences provided equal guidance/preparation and put his players in an as good or better position to be successful than Willie Taggart, the guy who resurrected our program and who has since moved on to one of the most storied programs in college football history.  Also you feel the BE = the AAC.  Did you happen to notice our SOS the last 2 years, (Q's best 2 seasons), particularly 2017??   You are talking apples and oranges to the level BJ faced.   

We'll just agree to disagree. 

What on earth are you talking about? You are not understanding me.  You are talking about **** sholtz.. I don't ever write or mention his name.  I don't know why you are  unless you're trying to get the emotional support for an argument that is just not true.  Daniels redshirted a year and studied under Grothe and then started his redshirt freshman season when Grothe went downs.  Flowers played as a true freshman and one could argue that if Taggart had just let him play, he would have been fine.   Flowers has put up numbers against both P5 and G5 schools that have been ridiculous.  He did it basically creating plays himself. He was just a better player than BJ.  BJ didn't and doesn't have Q's instincts... he made bad decisions and really didn't protect the ball.   Taggarts offense sucked until he basically allowed Flowers to make plays... so where was all this development?  I mean he didn't really start throwing a nice ball until Gilbert tweaked his motion.  BJ was good, but he was and is not as good as Flowers.   

And the AAC teams are just as good as the Big East teams in football.  The Big East had more money and an auto bid... that was it.  I mean Uconn won the Big East at 8-5 and we sucked the last 4 years we were in that conference.  Actually the conference was taking all kinds of hits which is why they plucked the teams out.  Many of whom are still not good in football, they are basketball schools.  That UCONN team wouldn't have sniffed an AAC title with the current teams.  Houston, Memphis, USF, UCF, Temple, and Cincy...  are just as good as the Big East was when it was being dominated by WV, Cincy, and Louisville.  The respect thing is growing... but yeah... it was just as good if not better now from the middle up. Just as many guys going to the NFL etc... just no auto bid... though we've won basically the same amount of what would be BCS bowl games.  I know what I mean and in this one I'm correct.  BJ didn't play against greater competition... some of his worst games were against some teams that sucked. 

Yeah I looked at your SOS... I also know why it was that way.  If you're going to mention it... talk about cancelled games.  Also go back and look at the teams that were in the Big East and look at our schedule.  I'm guessing Ball State, UTEP, FAU, Nevada, Chattanooga, Stoney Brook, Western Kentucky... I mean come on.  

BJ Daniels would have done exactly what he did... be an athletic guy who's an average QB and good football player.  I me

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That backflip is what people remember him more than his actual play. It was just surreal to see him do that. But I agree BJ was the better athlete and it is not even close. 

Athlete... I'd agree to that.  But football player and QB... nope.  BJ was a great basketball player and who did a lot of things good... that said... he wasn't a better football player than Flowers.  He wasn't a better QB.  He wasn't faster though.  They ran about the same speed.  Flowers is just more smooth doing it.

Edited by Calibull

11 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Athlete... I'd agree to that.  But football player and QB... nope.  BJ was a great basketball player and who did a lot of things good... that said... he wasn't a better football player than Flowers.  He wasn't a better QB.  He wasn't faster though.  They ran about the same speed.  Flowers is just more smooth doing it.

I agree...looking at athlete aspect only. I remember BJ in the MBB team his freshman year. He got a little PT which is not bad considering we were in the BE. Yes, Flowers was the better QB had was more elusive than BJ. 

• Upvote 1