• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Basketball assistant

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  126
  • Days Won:  0

It's been several weeks since Chad Dollar has left the program.  I haven't seen anything about a replacement.  This is a very important time for recruiting.  Wouldn't you think it's important to have a staff at full strength?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Well, the lack of hire means either

1) they haven’t settled on someone they like or

2) they don’t think it’s very important.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

Or maybe I'm still busy wrapping up my personal affairs in the valley of the sun.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Or maybe I'm still busy wrapping up my personal affairs in the valley of the sun.

yes-please-fg67gd.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Brad said:

They already have one of them basketball return thingies so I'm not real sure what the value added would be ...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

They’re trying to bring in Rick Pitino, but can’t seem to get him cleared :stirpot:

Edited by Roaming Bull

Larry Dixon

LARRY DIXON
  • TITLE

Assistant Coach

With more than 10 years of experience as a collegiate assistant coach, Larry Dixon joined the Eagles for the 2013-14 campaign as an assistant coach. The 2017-18 season will be Dixon’s fifth at Georgia Southern.

The veteran coach has been a dynamic part of the Eagles basketball renaissance which has occurred over his tenure. Last season, the Eagles improved their overall record (18-15) and Sun Belt record (11-7) and played in the postseason for the first time since 2006 and just the seventh time in the Division I era. Tookie Brown and Ike Smith were named first-team All-Sun Belt.

The Eagles have finished in the top-three in two of their three seasons in the Sun Belt and joins UTA and Louisiana as the only three teams to reach double digit wins in conference play in each of the last three seasons, ranking third in league victories (36) during that time.

The 2014-15 Eagles tallied a 22-9 mark for the program’s first 20-win season in a decade. Georgia Southern also made the program’s first trip to a conference championship game since 1992 by reaching the 2015 Sun Belt Championship Game. The Eagles’ renaissance has brought the fans back to Hanner Fieldhouse as the Eagles posted multiple sellouts in the same season for the first time in arena history.

Picked 10th in the Sun Belt Preseason Poll prior to the 2015-16 campaign, Georgia Southern, the youngest team in the country, finished fifth in the league and set a school record for 3-pointers made in a season. Brown and Mike Hughes were named all-conference, and Brown was selected the league's Freshman of the Year.

In his first season, Georgia Southern improved throughout the year, and made the program’s first trip to the SoCon Tournament Semifinals in nine seasons. The 2013-14 Eagles went 15-19 on the year and took an upset 62-55 win over second-seeded Chattanooga in the quarterfinals.

A 1996 graduate of Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, N.C., Dixon served as an assistant coach at East Carolina University for the two years prior to joining Randy Peele’s staff at Winthrop where he coached for five seasons. While with the Winthrop Eagles, Dixon was named the Top Assistant Coach in the Big South by Fox Sports.

He also served as an assistant coach at South Carolina State for two years (2003-2005) and for one year at St. Andrews College (2002-03). After leaving Winthrop following the 2011-12 season, Dixon worked last season as the Boy’s Basketball Head Coach at York Comprehensive High School in York, S.C.

A native of Salisbury, N.C., Dixon has spent the majority of his coaching career in North Carolina. Prior to his stint at St. Andrews, Dixon served as the head coach at Garinger High School in Charlotte for three seasons. During his tenure, Dixon led Garinger to a sectional championship in 2001 and earned Charlotte Observer Coach of the Year honors. A 1996 graduate of Johnson C. Smith, he also spent two years as assistant coach at Carver High School in Winston-Salem and South Rowan High School in Salisbury.

Dixon was a standout at North Rowan High school and earned a scholarship to Johnson C. Smith. During his playing days at Johnson C. Smith, Dixon was a four-year letterman and was named the team’s Most Improved Player following his junior season. He was also named Johnson C. Smith’s top defensive player at the end of his senior season. He helped the Golden Bulls to a pair of CIAA Southern Division titles and a championship game appearance as a sophomore.

Dixon is the father of two children, Devin and Leah.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I’ll take that 18-15 record...actually I’ll take 15-18 any day. 

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Lots of southern recruiting ties.