• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Just so 'I Don't Die': MLB Superstars Crave More Protection

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Any innovators out there willing to take a crack at the type of protection Pitcher are asking for here? 

I can't think of way to protect the head of a pitcher without there some sort of discomfort. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772992-just-so-i-dont-die-mlb-superstars-crave-more-protection

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,965
  • Days Won:  469

I'd start with teaching pitchers to deliver the pitch and end in a defensive ready posture.  Too many players these days just hurl it and wait to wee what happens, no longer ending in a ready mode.  Maybe it's not cool anymore.

8 hours ago, Brad said:

I'd start with teaching pitchers to deliver the pitch and end in a defensive ready posture.  Too many players these days just hurl it and wait to wee what happens, no longer ending in a ready mode.  Maybe it's not cool anymore.

That is a great place to start. To much emphasis on making the pitch and not realizing that the instant the ball comes out of the pitcher’s hand, he’s just another infielder. One that happens to be dangerously close. Not only does it possibly save lives, but it could win you a game or two in the end. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

Was watching the Dbacks/Astros game.  Pitcher on Houston, Devenski, fires the pitch as he's basically falling backwards off the mound.  Out of control.  Prime target for a screamer back to the skull.  I know "kids" grow up, each wanting to be unique and break long held axioms around the game, but coaches really need to step up in developmental days and ensure these "performers" aren't setting themselves up for fundamentally poor play, or worse, a shot to the head or anywhere else.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

This is an honest question and I know that the mound can be a dangerous place to be, but how many major league pitchers have been seriously injured from a batted ball,?  How many killed?

at least one per year gets seriously hurt, either concussion or broken jaw.  JA Happ got a fractured skull in 2013. That’s probably been the worst in recent memory but I remember Alex Cobb getting smoked a few years ago and struggleing to come back. No deaths but the idea is to avoid that. The speeds of these baseball and what we know about the skull tells us the possibility is there 

Hey @Brad if you are watchInch yet. Check out the way the UF reliever (#34) finishes his pitches. 

I don't think i got online in time and when I did it was only for a brief moment.  Tell me he was fundamentally sound....?

I think the he showed the plate more of his numbers than his chest at the point of contact with one foot in the air. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

On 5/5/2018 at 2:59 PM, Brad said:

EXACTLY.

Watch film of Greg Maddux when he pitched.  He won multiple Gold Gloves as a pitcher because he did this very thing.