• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Kickoff Rule

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

38 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

AF3CE852-CA56-49D7-9A07-22E557B1422D.jpeg

They forget to bubble wrap their legs. You can never be too safe. Heaven forbid their skin actually touches the grass

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

It all started for me when they put the brake on the Big Wheel.  Greatest toy every, ruined!

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

We could have used this rule in Orlando last year

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting rule, needs to be changed already. If the kickoff goes out of the back of the end zone you get it on the 20, same if you kick it out of bounds in the end zone. Places a premium on long kick-offs and since the average return on a kick off last year was about 20 yards you should take the fair catch anytime the ball comes down inside the 5. On average you would be better off. Doesn't take the big play off the board but does remove the high kick with the idea of tackling inside the 20.

Edited by Buller64

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

We'd have beaten UCF if it weren't for those gosh darned  kickoffs. I agree, get rid of them...

lololol.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

I seem to recall that punts are generally safer than kickoffs and some discussion on using them in place of kickoffs.  That would allow great returners to remain a factor.

The new league Spurrier is coaching in is doing no kickoffs and the onside kick is being replaced by a fourth and long opportunity.  

There are no perfect solutions but I'm  open to it if it improves player safety.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I would like to see the statistics on the number of players who get hurt on KO and compare that with players who get hurt on offense and defense (using statistics as obviously there are more opportunities with the later). I have to say, at least for USF games, I don't remember seeing a lot of injuries on KO returns.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

18 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I would like to see the statistics on the number of players who get hurt on KO and compare that with players who get hurt on offense and defense (using statistics as obviously there are more opportunities with the later). I have to say, at least for USF games, I don't remember seeing a lot of injuries on KO returns.

Is it about sheer number of injuries, or the number life changing injuries?  KO hits are more likely to to bring those awful neck injuries. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

47 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Is it about sheer number of injuries, or the number life changing injuries?  KO hits are more likely to to bring those awful neck injuries. 

That’s true and I thought about that when I was writing the post. I wonder if there is a significant amount of injuries that are life threatening compared to the other side of the ball....or is this simply a point of the “possibility” being greater? 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That’s true and I thought about that when I was writing the post. I wonder if there is a significant amount of injuries that are life threatening compared to the other side of the ball....or is this simply a point of the “possibility” being greater? 

Shazier is the only person I can think of that has broken their neck in the last 15 years that wasn't off kickoff, but there is probably a few i'm missing