• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Maybe on-campus stadium won’t resolve USF’s attendance woes

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

http://gousfbulls.com/news/2018/4/16/football-stadium-feasibility-study-moves-into-broad-survey-phase.aspx

In November 2016, The Beck Group was retained to assist the University of South Florida with conceptual planning of a new
40,000- 50,000 seat football stadium. Working closely with the USF Athletics and Facilities teams, all potential sites on and around
campus were explored and vetted against a set of team-defined criteria.
After evaluation of all potential sites, it was decided that two “zones” would be studied further. Both zones front Fowler Avenue, one
on the east end of campus and the other on the west end.
Concurrent with site selection, a project program and budget were established and benchmarked against similar stadiums of quality
and scale built in the last 17 years.
Both zones were then evaluated for potential impacts to existing land use, infrastructure, parking availability, and campus
connectivity. Several site concepts were presented for each zone and one scheme in each zone was selected for further
development and conceptual renderings.
Both zones have unique characteristics; positives and negatives should be considered for optimum site selection.
Zone 1 has advantages in several categories. It offers the best connection to the heart of the campus and presents an opportunity
to provide a memorable game day experience and tradition, utilizing the natural resources unique to the USF campus. Visibility and
branding potential is strong, but not overwhelming. This zone also has access to the greatest number of existing parking spaces
within a 15-minute walk. Connectivity to Bruce B. Downs and Fletcher from a variety of access points will help with game day
congestion.
A portion of the proposed site resides on land that is currently delineated as USF Research Park. In addition to redefining the
boundaries of the existing research park, the land use and zoning will need to be modified to allow construction of a stadium.
Additionally, there are two occupied buildings on site that will need to be demolished and potentially relocated, both with substantial
remaining lease terms. This site also impacts significant utilities serving the campus that must be rerouted. This infrastructure work
can be seen in a positive light which will breathe new life into the southwest corner of the campus and serve as a catalyst for
development of a higher density research park.
Zone 2 has a number of positive traits worth considering. This site offers great connection to the already established athletic zone
on the main campus. It is possible that new improvements such as parking, road improvements, and public plazas could be utilized
for games and events at the Sun Dome. The adjacency to the athletic infrastructure encourages an athletics village with practice
facilities, gym, and athletic support offices all within a fairly compact footprint.
The visibility and branding opportunities for Zone 2 are significant, but also could dominate the street presence of the campus. The
Zone 2 site is much smaller than Zone 1, resulting in less flexibility for building location, service, and public access. Significant
campus utilities exist under the proposed site boundary and will likely need to be rerouted, but not to the same extent as Zone 1. 

Edited by BDYZR

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

On 4/16/2018 at 3:07 PM, Rizman said:

It is what it is.   Tampa bay has lots of distractions vs.  Gainesville or Tally. 

We had baseball that day and I believe the Rowdies. 

Lightning playoff game at home that started at 3. The way Tampa has gotten hyped for these playoffs it can be hard to attract fans if you're another ticket in town especially if your event is almost at the same exact time.  

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

The excuses we make for attendance are laughable. I suppose we has absolutely zero competition for people's attention last year and that explains why we lost 1000 people?

Let's put it simply, people expect us to be worse in a post-Flowers world, and have relegated us to a lower status on their to-do list. This isn't because of hockey or minor league soccer. It's because our fans are apathetic and just became even more.

Joey is a troll and wrong a lot. He's right this time. We need to see spring games ticking upward, not losing 30%.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

I didn't do it but thought about including suggestion:

Make sure all seats are seat backs with headrests and have them painted with bodies and heads so that any empty seats will look filled for TV.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

I didn't do it but thought about including suggestion:

Make sure all seats are seat backs with headrests and have them painted with bodies and heads so that any empty seats will look filled for TV.

If you have done that Harlan would have put you  on double secret probation...

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

6 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

The excuses we make for attendance are laughable. I suppose we has absolutely zero competition for people's attention last year and that explains why we lost 1000 people?

Let's put it simply, people expect us to be worse in a post-Flowers world, and have relegated us to a lower status on their to-do list. This isn't because of hockey or minor league soccer. It's because our fans are apathetic and just became even more.

Joey is a troll and wrong a lot. He's right this time. We need to see spring games ticking upward, not losing 30%.

How was the game?  Curious how it flowed?

7 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

I suppose we has absolutely zero competition for people's attention last year and that explains why we lost 1000 people?

I thought there were more fans this year than last year. Just my observation from the west endzone and conversation with people around me.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

I thought there were more fans this year than last year. Just my observation from the west endzone and conversation with people around me.

Was at the Lightning game, which did affect the attendance to some degree, but heard the same thing about this year's attendance compared to last year .... Still not sure why they even bother to report it.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Was at the Lightning game, which did affect the attendance to some degree, but heard the same thing about this year's attendance compared to last year .... Still not sure why they even bother to report it.

and this time there was no obligation to report it.

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Still not sure why they even bother to report it.

That's using the term a bit loosely. :GoBulls: