• Join Today

Join today and reduce ads presented

• Members do not see this ad
Sign in to follow this  
Brad

A Raging Bull: Chasing the Big Time

I haven't read it recently, but obviously it is the greatest sports book of all time, written by former Bulls basketball player Tony Grier.

51aryfUpNsL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It is available on and off at Amazon for various prices - currently there is a copy for under $4.00 - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for any Bulls fan that wants to learn about the program and Tony's story.  

From the book's page at Amazon:

Tony was raised in Port Chester, New York public housing, labeled as learning-disabled, and sent to a "special" school. The future could have been grim. Through a teacher's special gift, his passion for reading was ignited. When a basketball court was constructed, Tony watched, not realizing that the sport and his love of books would lead him out of the projects and into the world of college basketball. Fighting the stigmas of poverty, race, and scholastic inadequacy, Tony developed the academic and basketball skills to earn a scholarship at the University of South Florida when the program was young. He became a star player under the illustrious Lee Rose. Tony researched the program from its earliest days, sought out former players and coaches, and documented little known and seldom remembered facts about the past of USF hoops. 

The book itself is an easy read.  Tony did a lot to produce it.  I noticed some editorial mistakes, but it didn't take away from the passion and storytelling of USF Basketball.  Learn about the Florida Four and the effort to keep sports out of USF.  Lee Rose's departure.  Chucky Atkins drive to make the NBA. 

It was released about 10 years ago.  It is in paperback form only as far as I can tell.  

Probably time for me to break it out and read once again.  Tony was kind enough to send me an autographed copy for working with him and The Bulls Pen faithful to get the word out.  

On 2/5/2010 at 8:57 PM, JoeB said:

If interested in USF hoops, you gotta read A Raging Bull by Tony Grier.  Great behind the scenes stuff about the early years of the program. 

On 6/9/2007 at 8:50 AM, 79 Bull said:

Just received a signed copy of A Raging Bull yesterday as an early Father's Day present.  I'm already half way through it and it is a great read.  I highly recommend all Bulls fans get this book and read it.  Great history of our BBall program.  I never knew the Florida Four contract was for 4 years, and Florida and FSU cancelled the contract after the Bulls were champions the first 2 years.

I've read it twice. A lot of USF history and I enjoy his hoops perspective.

Sign in to follow this