• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Winds Of Change Kicking Up

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

STORRS -- The UConn football team was forced off the field when a thunderstorm blackened the sky barely an hour into the first practice of the season Friday.

There may have been a message blowing in the wind that buffeted the players' hasty retreat. Senior defensive tackle Deon McPhee stuck his finger in the air and picked up on it immediately.

"We've got to overcome adversity," McPhee said.

McPhee, a co-captain along with linebacker James Hargrave, knows the loss of 24 seniors from last year's team demands that the Huskies buckle down and push hard from the start.

"We are a new team. That's how we have to look at it," McPhee said. "We have to put the pedal to the metal and go forward."

The thunderstorm was a temporary setback. The upperclassmen returned to the practice field later under the lights and were joined by a freshmen class that includes 24 scholarship recruits.

UConn coach Randy Edsall wasn't about to let the weather alter his approach.

"This training camp isn't going to be easy," Edsall said. "I've told the kids that. We've got to find out some things. It's going to be a little bit different than what they've been used to the last couple of years."

The loss of many key players from last year's Motor City Bowl team has created competition for six starting spots on offense and six on defense.

Hargrave said it was a odd to not hear Alfred Fincher shouting on the practice field. The linebacker, leader of the defense last season, is in camp with the New Orleans Saints.

"It's a whole new team this year," Hargrave said. "We lost a lot of great people, but everybody is ready."

The competition begins at quarterback. It's shaping up as a battle between Matt Bonislawski and D.J. Hernandez.

Edsall wouldn't put a timetable on deciding who will be the starter.

"I think I have to have an opportunity to evaluate everybody," Edsall said. "If there's somebody that I might feel comfortable with, I might name a guy next week or the week after. It's whenever I feel comfortable with what I see in terms of what they do in practice and scrimmage situations."

Freshman quarterbacks Billy Cundiff and Dennis Brown probably have too much to learn to contend for a starting position.

There is also stiff competition at running back, where Cornell Brockington and Terry Caulley are vying for the starting spot. Brockington, who led the Big East in rushing with 1,218 yards last season, didn't participate in all the voluntary summer workouts, which didn't please Edsall.

"It's a new year," Edsall said. "What you did last year doesn't mean anything. You've got to go out and prove your worth and make sure that you are doing the things that you're supposed to do. If you didn't work and do the things you were supposed to do, somebody is going to go and beat you out."

Edsall said Caulley is probably not 100 percent from a knee injury that forced him to miss the 2004 season.

Caulley had 1,247 yards in 2002 as a freshman and was leading the nation in rushing with 607 yards when he was injured in 2003.

Edsall said Caulley is probably 95 percent.

"He's been cleared physically to practice and play, so mentally he's in a good position," Edsall said. "We have to be smart with him. He's done a good job of preparing himself and getting ready."

Ryan Joins Huskies

Dan Ryan of Norwich was among the freshmen that reported. Ryan had said he would prep for a year, but the UConn coaching staff decided it would be better if he joined the program. Ryan, 6 feet 8, 281 pounds, is listed as an offensive tackle. ... Sophomore defensive tackle Afa Anoai, who had knee surgery last spring, did not practice. Redshirt freshman kicker Tony Ciaravino also sat out with an undisclosed injury. Ciaravino was bothered by a sore leg much of last season. ... Girders are in place for the new $40 million football facilities building. Steelwork for the indoor practice facility is expected to begin next week. The complex is scheduled to be ready next summer.