• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Well now that all of the fun topics have...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

1 minute ago, charsibb said:

To be fair, your question did state, "which would USF prefer?"

Had you asked, "which would USF Athletics prefer?" well, that would have been a tough one.

I don't think so. It's just as easy an answer as the other one ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

13 minutes ago, charsibb said:

BIG10 wouldn't be an either/or. They only take AAU members. So your point is moot.

ACC v. AAU?

Not even close

AAU

All day and seven times on Sunday

My point was not necessarily to identify the Big10 but any power5 conference other than the Big12. However, Now that you mention it, I wonder, going foward how much the Big10 hangs onto their AAU policy. Nebraska is no longer a member and there are many schools in the AAC the Big10 would probably love to have that do not have that classification. The money that CFB is generating for P5 schools is hard cash, while AAU is more status and not necessarily a “direct” revenue gain. For example, USF is not AAU but it does not prevent them from making substantial money on the massive number of patients it has. AAU Recognizes this but is not the means to that end. 

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

42 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

My point was not necessarily to identify the Big10 but any power5 conference other than the Big12. However, Now that you mention it, I wonder, going foward how much the Big10 hangs onto their AAU policy. Nebraska is no longer a member and there are many schools in the AAC the Big10 would probably love to have that do not have that classification. The money that CFB is generating for P5 schools is hard cash, while AAU is more status and not necessarily a “direct” revenue gain. For example, USF is not AAU but it does not prevent them from making substantial money on the massive number of patients it has. AAU Recognizes this but is not the means to that end. 

USF research is now up to $500,000,000/yr.

University Presidents, NOT AD's, ultimately decide which schools obtain membership into their Athletic conferences.

That amount of yearly research dollars has to factor into the equation for them.

That is more in research than many AAU schools. 

USF has been making steady progress towards probable AAU future membership.

The fact that USF has now been recognized as one of only three "preeminent" Florida universities (along with UF and FSU) just illustrates that point. UCF lags well behind in that regard and that is something that should not be dismissed as being unimportant in whether one school gets chosen over another, by the conference Presidents.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I'm trying to figure out what schools in the AAC the Big 10 would love to have.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

UCF, duh. They'll have to fight the SEC for them.

22 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

USF research is now up to $500,000,000/yr.

University Presidents, NOT AD's, ultimately decide which schools obtain membership into their Athletic conferences.

That amount of yearly research dollars has to factor into the equation for them.

That is more in research than many AAU schools. 

USF has been making steady progress towards probable AAU future membership.

The fact that USF has now been recognized as one of only three "preeminent" Florida universities (along with UF and FSU) just illustrates that point. UCF lags well behind in that regard and that is something that should not be dismissed as being unimportant in whether one school gets chosen over another, by the conference Presidents.

No question in my mind that USF will achieve AAU status. Preeminent status was just the first significant academic step in USF history. I certainly see it as important to the long term viability of the institution. But at the same time, a university is recognized (wrongly in my opinion) on what it also does athletically and this too has an impact in the institutions finances (also known as the Flutie effect). 

4 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I would think North Carolina and Georgia Tech. Both have been rumored before as they fit the academic profile...though do not have AAU status. 

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

I would think North Carolina and Georgia Tech. Both have been rumored before as they fit the academic profile...though do not have AAU status. 

I'm sure they would, but neither is in the AAC.

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

I'm sure they would, but neither is in the AAC.

My bad...meant ACC

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

My bad...meant ACC

Gotcha...and GaTech has AAU status. UNC does not.