• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Q will have go throw to beat UCF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

8 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

I do think a slower paced offense helped the defense...but between a 3 and out or a one play td ill take td all day long.

Well, you got your wish on Friday... got the ball back down 8 with what, 1:45 to go? 1-play TD, hooray for us!... oops, we had to kick off and lost.

I know it's not the exact line of thinking, you have to try to score however you can there and as quickly as possible in case you miss the 2-pt conversion and need to get the ball back.

Another example could have been UCF. Their returner was incredibly stupid to score on the kickoff. Their defense was gassed and short of a fumble, I fully believe that we would have tied up the game (assuming we didn't go for the win with a 2-pt try). Sometimes, scoring quickly is not the best recipe for winning. If that guy steps out at the 5, they center it up and run the clock down to nothing to kick the chip shot for the win, it's a better play than giving the ball back to Flowers against a defense he's torched all day.

Of course, your argument stands, quick TD is always better than a 3-and-out, but, coaches don't see those as the only 2 possible outcomes on a drive.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

Well, you got your wish on Friday... got the ball back down 8 with what, 1:45 to go? 1-play TD, hooray for us!... oops, we had to kick off and lost.

I know it's not the exact line of thinking, you have to try to score however you can there and as quickly as possible in case you miss the 2-pt conversion and need to get the ball back.

Another example could have been UCF. Their returner was incredibly stupid to score on the kickoff. Their defense was gassed and short of a fumble, I fully believe that we would have tied up the game (assuming we didn't go for the win with a 2-pt try). Sometimes, scoring quickly is not the best recipe for winning. If that guy steps out at the 5, they center it up and run the clock down to nothing to kick the chip shot for the win, it's a better play than giving the ball back to Flowers against a defense he's torched all day.

Of course, your argument stands, quick TD is always better than a 3-and-out, but, coaches don't see those as the only 2 possible outcomes on a drive.

Your scenario of the kick returner stopping at the 5 wouldn’t work since they couldn’t run the clock out. You are suggesting a 3 point lead with a minute left and no timeouts is a better situation than a 7 point lead with 1:45 and 2 timeouts left. As it turns out we returned the kick to midfield. When the clock stops on first downs, a minute is plenty of time to get in field goal range or get a touchdown. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

No 19 year old would have tought to go out of bounds instead of returning for a TD. I am pretty sure Frost was yelling SCORE SCORE SCORE. I say take the given 7 and let the D do their thing. I

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

16 minutes ago, bullsfan1983 said:

Your scenario of the kick returner stopping at the 5 wouldn’t work since they couldn’t run the clock out. You are suggesting a 3 point lead with a minute left and no timeouts is a better situation than a 7 point lead with 1:45 and 2 timeouts left. As it turns out we returned the kick to midfield. When the clock stops on first downs, a minute is plenty of time to get in field goal range or get a touchdown. 

0:40 when we scored and we had 2 timeouts. They certainly could have killed the clock. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

9 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

0:40 when we scored and we had 2 timeouts. They certainly could have killed the clock. 

Nope we scored with about 1:40 left. They scored on the kickoff return with 1:28 left so possibly could have taken it down to 40 seconds, but not run it out. 

Edited by bullsfan1983