• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Give Credit Where its due

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Give Sterlin Gilbert some credit. Yeah, he still ran up the middle the bunch of times. But he recognized that UConn can't defend the pass well and opened up the offense by attacking with bubble screens, and even a diamond pattern and the offense responded. The offense was still sort of inefficient, you got to score TDs when you get inside the 20. But this was a better called game than last week and the offense responded. I will admit to some concern at how often the pass protection broke down. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  41
  • Days Won:  0

Although not quite to the extent I'd like as a fan,  I'm willing to admit that I saw a lot more exploitation of the edge with bubble screens and short quick passes to the edge this game than I think I've seen all season long (probably combined).  While I'm eating a small piece of humble pie I do feel a sense of "I told you so" given how they all worked.  But,  given as Gilbert has shown no flexibility through the first eight games of this season when it comes to his limited playbook I'm willing to say hats off in terms of his willingness to look at last years tape and use what worked.  At least a little bit $0.02

they should merge our posts,  I think I was typing my post as you were typing yours.  My feelings are the same.  although not quite the hero (did anybody ever have any doubt what would happen on 1st and 10)  it did look a little better in terms of playing to strengths

Edited by Wildrover

• Content Count:  839

I don't know if this game is a harbinger of things to come, but it was encouraging. UConn is 128/129 in total defense. ECU is 129 and Tulsa is 127.

I guess that is the elephant in the room,  what happens when we face another defense that isn't half bad? 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

We need to have a passing attack that will keep teams from stacking the box.  I was glad seeing some things we haven't seen that much of this year.  Still the team plays so sloppy that this team vs a good team those horrible penalties are going to be the difference in a really close game. 

We shall see I think we beat Tulsa but UCF is going to be tough.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

12 minutes ago, Wildrover said:

I guess that is the elephant in the room,  what happens when we face another defense that isn't half bad? 

We'll find out Black Friday

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

At one point, rather late, we were slightly over 50% passing on first down. Big change.  

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

26 minutes ago, feardabull said:

We'll find out Black Friday

We're going to see just how good UCiF is tonight. SMU is no slouch, if they hold their offense to under 20 I'll be concerned about their D. If they win the game convincingly I'll be impressed. 

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  8

The greatest thing about Willie was that he ran the Gulf Coast Offense against anyone

We have the horses and the firepower to outmatch any team we have played (and will play) this year - if we ran this offense last week, we would have won by 20

I will give Gilbert credit when he opens the playbook against every and all challengers, not just Little Sisters of the Poor

Until then, he is still a subpar coordinator in my book

• Upvote 2