• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

3 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

I've probably watched football for longer than you've been alive.  I played football for 10 years.  I've coached football.

Settling for FGs might cost us a game, but I don't think, if the game is close or in question that we would do the same thing.  Of course, you're going to point out the red zone issues in the first half of last week's game, but we were still ahead and it was only in the first half.  IMO, the second half would have been played a lot differently if not for the pick-6.

Wow, I haven't had a down vote in a long time.  :D 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Capital H said:

This is the scariest thing about the offense moving forward, both this season and next.

Before the season I anticipated a drop in carries for Quinton by about 5 a game. Both from a slightly more pro style spread, and from blowing teams out and not needing Q for at least 1/4 of every game.

I am worried what the miles will do for Q for the rest of this season, our schedule has been whack with the hurricanes so hopefully he won't be too worn down for the games that on paper will be more competitive.

I am also worried what it means for the O next season. Obviously it will be pretty hectic with basically new starters at all the skill positions, but I don't see Kean or Dunkin(TM) being the type of QB's who can lead the team in carries and the O be a success.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gilbert is gone next year. He hasn't stayed with the same team for more than one year since 2013.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

11 minutes ago, BucsandBulls said:

I am actually hoping he doesn't open the offense, because that means we are winning easily and don't need to. I come to football games to watch us win, not to watch us be flashy. I am confident he will open up the offense if we need to in order to win a football game. I don't think he's purposefully hiding his plays like some nefarious super villain.  But I do think he is being prudent and not using plays he doesn't need to. We have not trailed for a single minute of conference play, hence no need. 

Guess what last year we had better playmakers (Mack and Adams), we had a total of about 5 different play calls, and there was nothing to gameplan. Our offense last year was great, but last time we checked we didn't win all of our games last year, so matter how good our offense was it, it wasn't enough. I'd blame the defense (and specifically Woodie), but its a team game and we still lost which we haven't done yet this year. 

Oh and last year our TE's caught 20 passes all season, so we are actually on pace to beat that. 

We can argue back and forth as much as want. I will go ahead and say I am wrong as soon as we run the ball up the middle 40 times a game and lose. 

I just hope he bring that top secret playbook with him when we need it.

God knows he didn't when they lost to Kansas last year when they ran the ball 63 times.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I just hope he bring that top secret playbook with him when we need it.

God knows he didn't when they lost to Kansas last year when they ran the ball 63 times.

Texas was 5-5 going into that game, there was lots of talk about firing CCS.  Basically, the team had given up at that point

1 minute ago, Apis Bull said:

Texas was 5-5 going into that game, there was lots of talk about firing CCS.  Basically, the team had given up at that point

so what you are saying is Gilbert(Strong) had nothing to lose?

and yet he still called 63 run plays.

not sure the team giving up had anything to do with 63 run plays called.

4 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

so what you are saying is Gilbert(Strong) had nothing to lose?

and yet he still called 63 run plays.

not sure the team giving up had anything to do with 63 run plays called.

No but going 17-27 passing with 3 picks might

3 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

No but going 17-27 passing with 3 picks might

oh but the 3 lost fumbles didn't matter?

Kansas hadn't beaten them since 1938

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

17 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

oh but the 3 lost fumbles didn't matter?

Kansas hadn't beaten them since 1938

It happens...we lost to McNeese 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This is game 7 coming up. The full offense should have been implemented and executed by this point. What I have seen this far is disappointing. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,624
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe someone can dig Willie's two page playbook out of the trash. I'm sure Flowers has some of the plays from last year written down

• Upvote 1