• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert still doesn't get it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

20 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

let's hope that's the case. odd approach though. you would think he would want to work out the kinks against lesser opponents.

he seems to think it's an execution issue and if we are having trouble executing these plays against the #130 SOS it might be time to switch things up.

#213 SOS according to realtime. Which means more than half the FCS teams have a stronger SOS than we do.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_aac_Men.html

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  307
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, Bull94 said:

a tune up game is one in which you fine tune the offense by running all your plays.

I don't buy this theory that he is just holding back.

we trucked illinois because the middle of their defense was trash. we averaged like 7 ypc against them. they couldn't stop the runs up the middle.

how creative was the offense when we averaged 1.9 ypc against Stoney brook and were tied going into the 4th quarter?

your goal should not be to kick field goals when getting into the red zone. points are not points in a close game and having to kick field goals will cost us. google "settling for field goals" and tell me how many links are to a positive article about an offense running well.

nothing says that you can';t win games 11 and 12 if you score 75 points a game.

Nothing says you can't, but it doesn't help you win those other games. Especially if those better teams now have tape on your best plays and know how to key whether you are running up the middle or going play action pass. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

11 minutes ago, BucsandBulls said:

Nothing says you can't, but it doesn't help you win those other games. Especially if those better teams now have tape on your best plays and know how to key whether you are running up the middle or going play action pass. 

yes it does help you win those games. you honestly don't think practicing plays help you improve? it's why teams play 1-aa cupcakes to start the season. to iron out the kinks.

how many teams had tape on our offense last year? were they able to stop it?

it's baffling to me that people think we are holding back so teams have nothing on tape. I guess running outside the tackles would be to much info on tape? maybe a RB screen? or a TE slant? just too much to put on tape??

this is our offense.

sure maybe he hasn't felt desperation mode where we have to chuck it 45 times but this is essentially our offense.

let's just hope we can execute a bunch of plays we haven't run all year when the time comes.

BTW if we keep settling for FGs early in games it will come back to bite us. Especially against UCF

Edited by Bull94
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

yes it does help you win those games. you honestly don't think practicing plays help you improve? it's why teams play 1-aa cupcakes to start the season. to iron out the kinks.

it's baffling to me that people think we are holding back so teams have nothing on tape. I guess running outside the tackles would be to much info on tape? maybe a RB screen? or a TE slant? just too much to put on tape??

this is our offense.

sure maybe he hasn't felt desperation mode where we have to chuck it 45 times but this is essentially our offense.

let's just hope we can execute a bunch of plays we haven't run all year when the time comes.

In QF we trust!!!

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

My hope is that we beat Tulane by a large margin. We need to because there are possibly 6 teams we can jump today if they lose and we win by a large margin. I then hope we play a nail biter with Houston. Perhaps that would give Gilbert a wakeup call and make him stretch the field the rest of the year.

37 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

this is our offense.

BTW if we keep settling for FGs early in games it will come back to bite us. Especially against UCF

its baffling to me that people think our entire offense is only running the ball up the middle and can't see how that is used to setup a whole tree of other plays off of that. Y'all act like you haven't seen us run a single other play. We have run bubble screens, wr screens, PA to Te, PA throwback to the RB.  We have not needed to run these other plays in bulk against any team we have played to date, its that simple. We practice those other plays in practice all the time. We have not been able to execute to our fullest two simple plays. Run up the middle and PA deep ball. If we can get REALLY good at those two things then we can open up the offense.

I think you will see the offense open up much more as we face stiffer competition the next few weeks. Then all of you can come on here and get on your stump about how Gilbert should have been doing this all along and about time he is finally listening to the fans because we are so smart and know football better than coaches. When in reality he is being wise and keeping his cards close to his vest. And that is what is going to make opening up the offense that much more effective when we need it.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

31 minutes ago, BucsandBulls said:

its baffling to me that people think our entire offense is only running the ball up the middle and can't see how that is used to setup a whole tree of other plays off of that. Y'all act like you haven't seen us run a single other play. We have run bubble screens, wr screens, PA to Te, PA throwback to the RB.  We have not needed to run these other plays in bulk against any team we have played to date, its that simple. We practice those other plays in practice all the time. We have not been able to execute to our fullest two simple plays. Run up the middle and PA deep ball. If we can get REALLY good at those two things then we can open up the offense.

I think you will see the offense open up much more as we face stiffer competition the next few weeks. Then all of you can come on here and get on your stump about how Gilbert should have been doing this all along and about time he is finally listening to the fans because we are so smart and know football better than coaches. When in reality he is being wise and keeping his cards close to his vest. And that is what is going to make opening up the offense that much more effective when we need it.

our Rbs have caught 6 passes combined this year. 1 per game. BTW that's as many as his RBs caught all year long at texas last year. It's not in his playbook.

Our TEs 15 total.

1 TD between all 4 of them

I'm sure you hope he opens up the offense just as i hope he does too. I just hope we know how to run those plays when the bullets are flying against better competition seeing as how he is holding back so as to not tip any opponents off on our tricky screen passes to RBs in the flats or TE crosses or off tackle runs. I'm sure the defenses will be caught off guard on those tricky plays!

BTW the offense we ran last year opened everything up including runs between the tackles and we even did it from week 1 on. Nobody stopped us.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

I've probably watched football for longer than you've been alive.  I played football for 10 years.  I've coached football.

Settling for FGs might cost us a game, but I don't think, if the game is close or in question that we would do the same thing.  Of course, you're going to point out the red zone issues in the first half of last week's game, but we were still ahead and it was only in the first half.  IMO, the second half would have been played a lot differently if not for the pick-6.

Your first paragraph reminded me of the Benson/Quayle debate: “I worked with Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine, you’re no Jack Kennedy.” LOL

In all seriousness,  you do make an excellent point. The game, the opponent, and the circumstances determine what plays would be called. I don’t see this as a concern yet. The best part is all C knows is that we run it down the middle at the goal line. They have no idea what more we can do. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

our Rbs have caught 6 passes combined this year. 1 per game. BTW that's as many as his RBs caught all year long at texas last year. It's not in his playbook.

Our TEs 15 total.

1 TD between all 4 of them

I'm sure you hope he opens up the offense just as i hope he does too. I just hope we know how to run those plays when the bullets are flying against better competition seeing as how he is holding back so as to not tip any opponents off on our tricky screen passes to RBs in the flats or TE crosses or off tackle runs. I'm sure the defenses will be caught off guard on those tricky plays!

BTW the offense we ran last year opened everything up including runs between the tackles and we even did it from week 1 on. Nobody stopped us.

I am actually hoping he doesn't open the offense, because that means we are winning easily and don't need to. I come to football games to watch us win, not to watch us be flashy. I am confident he will open up the offense if we need to in order to win a football game. I don't think he's purposefully hiding his plays like some nefarious super villain.  But I do think he is being prudent and not using plays he doesn't need to. We have not trailed for a single minute of conference play, hence no need. 

Guess what last year we had better playmakers (Mack and Adams), we had a total of about 5 different play calls, and there was nothing to gameplan. Our offense last year was great, but last time we checked we didn't win all of our games last year, so matter how good our offense was it, it wasn't enough. I'd blame the defense (and specifically Woodie), but its a team game and we still lost which we haven't done yet this year. 

Oh and last year our TE's caught 20 passes all season, so we are actually on pace to beat that. 

We can argue back and forth as much as want. I will go ahead and say I am wrong as soon as we run the ball up the middle 40 times a game and lose. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

14 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Your first paragraph reminded me of the Benson/Quayle debate: “I worked with Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine, you’re no Jack Kennedy.” LOL

In all seriousness,  you do make an excellent point. The game, the opponent, and the circumstances determine what plays would be called. I don’t see this as a concern yet. The best part is all C knows is that we run it down the middle at the goal line. They have no idea what more we can do. 

The funny thing is that I had an uneasy feeling after watching our win at Notre Dame and I was quickly told that it was a great win and we were on our way.  I haven't felt that at all this season (well maybe the first half of SB ;) )

• Upvote 1