• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Attendance is an embarrassment

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, pacificd said:

How much does USF charge students for home football games? Just curious.

Nothing (they pay an athletics fee on tuition)

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  279
  • Days Won:  0

Cool thanks. Do you know if that athletics fee is mandatory or optional?

11 minutes ago, pacificd said:

Cool thanks. Do you know if that athletics fee is mandatory or optional?

Mandatory

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:45 PM, USFBulls727 said:

So if you're a P5 commisioner, and you know this about Tampa and our attendance problems, would you invite USF over the available G5 teams, such as BYU, Colorado State, Boise State, etc?

I think my stance on a P5 conference invite has been very clear for years.  We are a package deal with UCF.  As bad as everyone hates them on this site (me included) their success is our success and vis-versa.  A conference will take us both in the not to distant future and it will be a great move.

Nothing could impact us more during football this year than two undefeated teams meeting on Thanksgiving weekend for all the marbles on our side of the conference in a packed house in Orlando. 

Do not discount academics as they play a major role in our invite.  Dr. Genshaft and USF's leadership has done lots of heavy lifting in this arena over the last 10 years.  We are finally at a respectfully academic level as is UCF. 

An OCS is far down the list of things we need to get a P5 invite.  Would I like one?  Sure, but it's not at the top of wish list. 

Enjoy the game today and as always, Go Bulls!

On 9/28/2017 at 11:45 PM, USFBulls727 said:

So if you're a P5 commisioner, and you know this about Tampa and our attendance problems, would you invite USF over the available G5 teams, such as BYU, Colorado State, Boise State, etc?

Well, one, it depends on which conference it was, but yes.  BYU is the only one that has a national following, but they have the no playing on Sunday and their honor code (which seems to turn a lot of people off).  If said commissioner knows about USF and Tampa, he would know the kind of attendance we are capable of getting.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  59

On 9/21/2017 at 7:29 PM, El_Toro_86 said:

This is a freaking top 25 come on people they deserve better

For some reason and even to this day, USF has always been known as a "commuter school." It also has never had any sustained success in the two major sports of football and men's basketball.  Perhaps as a result, a true "Bulls' Nation" has never developed.  It is more apparent now than ever that an OCS is needed to move the program forward.  No "Power Five" conference will invite a school like ours to join them with such pathetic attendance figures.  Also, why do schools such as Troy get to play teams like Alabama on a regular basis and we schedule teams like UMass?  I am sorry but I don't believe the story that "they," meaning Power Five  teams, don't want to play us.  Right now, we are stuck in a "Catch 22," so to speak.  No fans, therefore no OCS and no  beginning a  tradition that can lead to a real fan basis of alumni and Tampa Bay area residents.  I never thought that I would say it, but an on campus stadium is needed now more than ever.  

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  279

They need to do something to engage students to become rabid fans of THEIR school. I rooted for the Gators before USF even had a team. The day it was announced we were playing football I dropped them without even a second thought. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing UF gear since that day. Prior to me being a Bull, I felt free to root for whomever I pleased.

Once I became a Bull, I became one for LIFE. How many so-called Bull fans wear UF and FSU shirts as often as USF gear? I recall being in classes at USF with half the class in blue and half in garnet. Granted I went before we had a team but that seems telling.

It's mind-boggling to me that USF students and alumni would continue with their split allegiances. "Well, I've been a Gator fan since I was a kid and my dad...blah blah blah."

Where is the pride for YOUR ALMA MATER? Nothing pisses me off more than seeing these split allegiances. I would root for USF if we were a Division 1-AA. I know I would because I did.

It just seems that we have a steep history of deep ties to other schools running rampant through our Bulls bloodlines. We have to figure out how to stop or change it.

I'm sure this has been discussed to no end around here but I've been bothered by it more and more lately. Especially in the current realignment culture, our lack of an OCS, and definitely the culture of apathy we've cultivated amongst our own.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

I think my stance on a P5 conference invite has been very clear for years.  We are a package deal with UCF.  As bad as everyone hates them on this site (me included) their success is our success and vis-versa.  A conference will take us both in the not to distant future and it will be a great move.

Nothing could impact us more during football this year than two undefeated teams meeting on Thanksgiving weekend for all the marbles on our side of the conference in a packed house in Orlando. 

Do not discount academics as they play a major role in our invite.  Dr. Genshaft and USF's leadership has done lots of heavy lifting in this arena over the last 10 years.  We are finally at a respectfully academic level as is UCF. 

An OCS is far down the list of things we need to get a P5 invite.  Would I like one?  Sure, but it's not at the top of wish list. 

Enjoy the game today and as always, Go Bulls!

The package deal w/UCF...I like the idea, but I suspect some like it as an assurance that we aren't left behind by them, which would be absolutely brutal for the program. I've read some scenarios where the Big 12 could take BYU, and ONE of the Florida schools. No idea what criteria the Big 12 might take into consideration when choosing teams for expansion, but the OCS and IPF might show that UCF has committed more to their program. They managed to do that while in CUSA.....without the big TV contract $$ that the BCS conferences were bringing in. Why were we not able to get these things done in our heyday, around 2007-08, when we were in a BCS conference and drawing big crowds? FWIW, I still think we have a decent chance when expansion rolls around again. Been there before with the Big East.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

22 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

The package deal w/UCF...I like the idea, but I suspect some like it as an assurance that we aren't left behind by them, which would be absolutely brutal for the program. I've read some scenarios where the Big 12 could take BYU, and ONE of the Florida schools. No idea what criteria the Big 12 might take into consideration when choosing teams for expansion, but the OCS and IPF might show that UCF has committed more to their program. They managed to do that while in CUSA.....without the big TV contract $$ that the BCS conferences were bringing in. Why were we not able to get these things done in our heyday, around 2007-08, when we were in a BCS conference and drawing big crowds? FWIW, I still think we have a decent chance when expansion rolls around again. Been there before with the Big East.

Spot on! I want everyone to understand this...