• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Here's a radical idea (one that will never, ever happen).  Have each P5 conference set up a G5 conference under them and then have relegation promotion like soccer does.  Have an SECb, ACCb, PAC12b, etc..

Everything old is new again, lol. Did this back in summer of 2010...

Realignment.png

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Here's a radical idea (one that will never, ever happen).  Have each P5 conference set up a G5 conference under them and then have relegation promotion like soccer does.  Have an SECb, ACCb, PAC12b, etc..

Been saying this is a great idea and needs to happen 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

5 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Love the idea but it won't happen because the lower-level so-called "P5" schools (think Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Vanderbilt, Rutgers, etc.) have zero incentive to vote for it. Currently, they are not at risk of being demoted in favor of a top-level so-called "G5" school. So why change?

Also, if you're demoted, how does that impact TV revenue/other contracts? Schools need somewhat consistent revenue for planning purposes. 

Again, I think it would be great. But I think that primairly because it would give USF and similarly-situated schools a shot at the playoffs. Can't see why any P5 schools would support such a model.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

As much as it horribly pains me, I agree ...................... not with you, but with the BM.

7 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

Explain?  

Just to be clear, my first preference is joining a current P5. Second, is this mythical P6 designation  (with some CFP tweaking), but I just don't see either of those realistically happening ..... at least in the foreseeable future. That being said, see absolutely nothing wrong with having another championship to strive for. They're what you play games for. Lots of people on here that depend on other sources to dictate to them what they should consider important or not when it comes to USF sports .... although I do understand I'm probably a minority of one on here on this

One thing, though, that JG brought up .... do not want a separate designation between FBS and FCS to accomplish this.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Just to be clear, my first preference is joining a current P5. Second, is this mythical P6 designation  (with some CFP tweaking), but I just don't see either of those realistically happening ..... at least in the foreseeable future. That being said, see absolutely nothing wrong with having another championship to strive for. They're what you play games for. Lots of people on here that depend on other sources to dictate to them what they should consider important or not when it comes to USF sports .... although I do understand I'm probably a minority of one on here on this

One thing, though, that JG brought up .... do not want a separate designation between FBS and FCS to accomplish this.

My initial concern is one of perception and impact on funding. But most concerning is "this just the first step" to eventual formal seperation. But I get what your saying, it is a championship. I just wonder what the cost would be. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

My initial concern is one of perception and impact on funding. But most concerning is "this just the first step" to eventual formal seperation. But I get what your saying, it is a championship. I just wonder what the cost would be. 

I know you should never say it can't get any worse but really, can it get any worse in regards to perception and funding? I think we're down to the hard core fans who are there mainly because of USF football, not who they're playing or what conference they're playing in, not some pie in the sky chance to face off against Alabama in January. I get the separation thing but the the possibility for a G5 in the CFP's would still be there but there would just be a different chance at a championship in the mix. Separation wouldn't change that much with this but I do understand that the haves could maybe try to use it to somehow widen the gap down the line.

Bottom line, though, is none of this talk about kicking P5 teams out and adding us, going to a P6 or the G5 playoffs is going to happen any time soon so, to use a term coined several years ago, we may as well "Embrace the Suck" and just try to enjoy where we are in the moment

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

54 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I know you should never say it can't get any worse but really, can it get any worse in regards to perception and funding? I think we're down to the hard core fans who are there mainly because of USF football, not who they're playing or what conference they're playing in, not some pie in the sky chance to face off against Alabama in January. I get the separation thing but the the possibility for a G5 in the CFP's would still be there but there would just be a different chance at a championship in the mix. Separation wouldn't change that much with this but I do understand that the haves could maybe try to use it to somehow widen the gap down the line.

Bottom line, though, is none of this talk about kicking P5 teams out and adding us, going to a P6 or the G5 playoffs is going to happen any time soon so, to use a term coined several years ago, we may as well "Embrace the Suck" and just try to enjoy where we are in the moment

All excellent points 

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,725
  • Days Won:  0

I could actually deal with embracing the suck if we didn't also have to deal with certain people in the media seemingly trying their best to make us to gag on the suck.

Edited by James Gaddis
Typo

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

1 minute ago, James Gaddis said:

I could actually deal with embracing the suck if we didn't also have to deal with certain people in the media seemingly trying their best to make us to gag on the suck.

Agreed. Not a big fan of Fake News media.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Best thing USF can do is just get wins and get the conference. Improve the resume as much as possible (which I think we're doing), and take care of business.

Best thing USF fans can do is contribute & go to games...