• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

I think the AAC should dump Aresco and thing P6 stuff, then contact a mover and shaker like Sauron. The one conference to rule them all sounds like a much more promising campaign 

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

9 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

I think the AAC should dump Aresco and thing P6 stuff, then contact a mover and shaker like Sauron. The one conference to rule them all sounds like a much more promising campaign 

One does not simply walk into the P5!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:
11 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

I will take the burden, though I know not the way.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

2 hours ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

1 hour ago, charsibb said:

I will take the burden, though I know not the way.

We must move on, we cannot linger.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,207
  • Days Won:  422

WTF, people?? There is no more Sauron. Frodo blasted him into a million pieces with his wand ...

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

WTF, people?? There is no more Sauron. Frodo blasted him into a million pieces with his wand ...

a4dYR9A_700b.jpg

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but imagine if Boise, SDSU and TCU were in our conference instead of 3 bottom feeders. 

As great as that conference would be (better than the Big 12 and PAC12 certainly) I doubt there would still be any chance for a P6.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I highlighted some portions, but I suppose I should have highlighted all of it. LOL

American Athletic Conference pushing Power 6 narrative

Bill WagnerBill WagnerContact Reporterbwagner@capgaznews.com

If you proclaim something, does that make it true?

Commissioner Mike Aresco believes the American Athletic Conference has proven it can compete on even terms with the so-called Power Five conferences.

Aresco feels the American should be promoting that message.

That is why a P6 logo was everywhere during the American Athletic Conference’s annual Summer Kickoff event, held in Newport, Rhode Island during July. It was on the balls used during the traditional golf outing at Newport Country Club, on billboards strategically placed around town and on helmets sitting on tables during the media day gathering at Gurney’s Newport Resort and Spa.Aresco used the term Power 6 about a dozen times during his state of the conference address that highlighted the Summer Kickoff. He was asked afterward whether he thought the P6 initiative was working. 

“I do, and the reason I think it’s working is because the media is mentioning it more and more, it’s gaining some traction,” Aresco said. “There has been less blowback than I thought we would have from people questioning whether we truly are a power conference. It’s a subliminal thing. We hope that message is in people’s minds and they’ll begin to look at our conference in a different light.”

Aresco still talks about Central Florida’s upset of Baylor in the 2014 Fiesta Bowl and Houston’s defeat of Florida State in the 2015 Peach Bowl. He noted that AAC schools have notched 19 victories over Power Five opponents during the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

Houston greatly enhanced the America’s profile last season by beating both Oklahoma and Louisville when each was ranked in the Associated Press Top 5. Navy did its part by knocking off Notre Dame at EverBank Field in Jacksonville.

It didn’t hurt the American’s stature that three of its football coaches – Tom Herman (Houston to Texas), Willie Taggart (South Florida to Oregon) and Matt Rhule (Temple to Baylor) – were lured away by Power Five programs.

“It’s not based on fluff, it’s based on real achievement. There is a firm foundation here. It’s not just a marketing plan,” Aresco said. “I wouldn’t be out here talking about this if we weren’t a conference that has been winning at a high level. I think the media and public have seen what we have done, have seen that our members can compete with and win games against Power Five schools.”

When the College Football Playoff was created in 2014, the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten Conference, Big 12 Conference, Pac-12 Conference and Southeastern Conference were all afforded automatic bids. It was around that time the term Power Five conference entered the Division I athletic lexicon to describe that coalition.

Media pundits coined the term Group of Five in reference to the remaining Football Bowl Subdivision conferences – American Athletic, Mid-American, Mountain West, Conference USA and Sun Belt.

Those distinct designations bothered Aresco from the outset.

“This whole Power Five thing has been annoying me to no end. I knew that would be a huge obstacle for what we wanted to accomplish as a conference,” he said. “There is no admittance to this club. It’s up to the public and media to determine whether we belong on that level.”

Aresco uses numerous metrics to justify his claim the American belongs in the same breath as the Power Five. Last season, the two-highest rated Thursday night games involved AAC schools. Also, the AAC is one of just six leagues to have at least one ranked team in the final national polls in each of the past four years, joining those from the Power Five.

In addition, American members are scheduling more games against Power Five schools than those from the Group of Five. There are 17 games between American Athletic and Big Ten schools scheduled between 2017 and 2023.

“The Big Ten has designated the American as a good intersectional opponent. Big Ten athletic directors respect our teams and (commissioner) Jim Delaney said his schools want to play us. That’s a real big deal,” Aresco said.

Aresco’s P6 campaign is about aligning the American with the Power Five while also separating it from the Group of Five.

“We’re paying cost of attendance, we’re in big markets, we’re getting great television ratings. We’re starting to look much more like a P5 type of conference than a G5,” he said. “I think all along we’ve been on a separate line. So why not be perceived as a Power 6 instead of part of the Group of Five?”

Of course, there are multiple motives behind the Power 6 mantra, and all boil down to money. First and foremost, the American Athletic Conference wants the benefit of the doubt when the College Football Playoff selection committee meets. At present, the highest-rated champion from the Group of Five conferences receives an automatic berth in the CFP.

Last year, Western Michigan went undefeated in a relatively weak Mid-American Conference and was the Group of Five representative in the College Football Playoff. Naturally, Aresco felt that American champion Temple deserved the bid.

Since the CFP began, the Group of Five berth has gone to Boise State (MWC, 2014), Houston (AAC) and Western Michigan (MAC). Aresco truly believes the American has separated from its Group of Five brethren and thus should be viewed differently by the selection committee.

“It’s going to be hard for one of our teams to get the Group of Five bid because we play such a challenging schedule, both in and out of conference,” said Aresco, beginning the argument that an AAC member should be able to survive a loss or two.

Aresco is also setting the stage for the American Athletic Conference’s next television contract. While the current deal expires following the 2019-2020 school year, there is a chance it could be extended earlier than that. Aresco will be seeking a dramatic increase in the rights fee whenever the renewal is done.

The American Athletic Conference was in the process of forming when Aresco signed a television deal with ESPN that took effect for football in 2014. That seven-year deal worth $126 million pales in comparison to those of the Power Five.

“If we don’t get closer to the P5 in the public perception then it’s going to hurt us down the road in our television negotiation,” Aresco admitted. “It’s critical because we need more revenue, and we think we can generate more revenue because we're far more valuable.”

Aresco would also like to see the American receive a direct avenue into the College Football Playoff before the current contract expires in 2025.

Ultimately, it is the amount of money being raked in by member schools that separates the Power Five from the American. However, Aresco feels perception is just as important as cash at this point in time.

“It’s not just money. It’s that those other conferences have the flagship state schools, more history and more pedigree,” Aresco said. “Let’s not focus on just the money, let’s focus on competitive ability. Look around, the landscape of college athletics has changed. This is a different world now. I certainly don’t think those established conferences are head and shoulders above the others in terms of competitive level anymore.”

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy_sports/ac-cs-aac-p6-story.html

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,742
  • Days Won:  17

We're better off having the team come out as transgendered muslims and then accuse the Power 5 of TransIslamophobia if they reject our request to join a P5 conference 

Edited by lotsofbull99
  • Haha 1