• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Uconn, Cincy and USF got booted from the table. 

P6 doesn't really mean anything without the money, bowl games or the benefit of scheduleing more games against the SEC, ACC, Big10, Pac12 and Big12. 

The American conference will never be on the same footing until we get paid enough to keep coaches from leaving. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

20 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Uconn, Cincy and USF got booted from the table. 

P6 doesn't really mean anything without the money, bowl games or the benefit of scheduleing more games against the SEC, ACC, Big10, Pac12 and Big12. 

The American conference will never be on the same footing until we get paid enough to keep coaches from leaving. 

No doubt.

The AAC is pushing the P6 mantra in order to separate itself, as far as possible, away from the lower tier conferences, with the hope of landing much better TV money and Bowl games in the future.

How successful they are over the next few years in doing that is yet to be determined.

I do believe that the AAC is pursuing a correct path, with this approach.  

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

At the risk of getting SANJAY's dander up again, I'm thinking the lawyers would never allow what happened to Temple happen again ... especially with the longer tenured P5 potential bootees.

Lawyers doing deals are not decision makers. They can explain pros and cons and legal issues but ultimately clients make decisions. Unless in house counsel has been given authority to make decisions the lawyers are just doing what the clients (conference, teams or individuals) want to do. No dander up.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

4 hours ago, SANJAY said:

The big teams don't want to obtain such an exemption. They've had 33 years since the Supreme Court decided that.

If it went to a straight-up vote, they'd lose.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

44 minutes ago, charsibb said:

If it went to a straight-up vote, they'd lose.

But it never would. If it for some reason did the real power schools would take their ball and break away from the balance. Look at the way the votes for full cost of attendance went. The majority could have stopped it but they didn't.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

3 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

I'm somewhat surprised that the P5 conferences have not booted out deadwood football schools to make room for potentially more attractive teams, such as USF.

I don't know all the facts surrounding the Big East dumping Temple, but something like that probably needs to happen for USF to break into the P5.

A conference needs to calculate the long term benefits involved in doing such a thing. If it makes sense dollarwise, I can see it happening.

Because everyone wants to watch USF Men's Basketball.  Do you toss Kansas because football isn't so good yet they have great hoops?  I'm sure there are some teams that aren't very good in either sport but Kansas just jumped into my mostly empty head.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,327
  • Days Won:  43

4 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Because everyone wants to watch USF Men's Basketball.  Do you toss Kansas because football isn't so good yet they have great hoops?  I'm sure there are some teams that aren't very good in either sport but Kansas just jumped into my mostly empty head.

Baylor comes to mind. They actually fought and threaten legal actions if the big 12 fell apart.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Baylor should be booted. Top to bottom from president to athlete, no ethics. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,327
  • Days Won:  43

9 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Baylor should be booted. Top to bottom from president to athlete, no ethics. 

And don't forget Baylor was really bad before they got good.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

I'm somewhat surprised that the P5 conferences have not booted out deadwood football schools to make room for potentially more attractive teams, such as USF.

I don't know all the facts surrounding the Big East dumping Temple, but something like that probably needs to happen for USF to break into the P5.

A conference needs to calculate the long term benefits involved in doing such a thing. If it makes sense dollarwise, I can see it happening.

I think the biggest reason they couldn't get away with it is the amount of money they're under contract for. A lot of schools already have that P5 money spent on campus, and not just for athletics, and if it was pulled out from under them it would be an absolute **** storm.