• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Looking to score

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

You may have often heard it said: every play is designed to score a TD if perfectly run. Of course, that doesn't account for the defense, but unless the defense plays absolutely perfect-they are likely to not be able to stop the opposing team from scoring-and frankly, if the offense is perfect they will likely score anyway because they lead with the initiative. 

Perhaps this verbiage is true, and it's what each and every team aspires to. You can certainly make that case about the 2016 USF offense. They looked to score on every play. EVERY PLAY. How many scoring drives did we have that were under a minute? If you answered "well, a lot", you're absolutely right. They didn't aspire to be methodical. They aspired to score. To score, you must be just that! perfect! 

So if we use the transitive property, to aspire to score is to aspire to be perfect on every single play.  To be perfect means to jump up and beat all eleven men on the defense on every single play. 

So what is the goal of the 2017 USF offense? Is it to score? Or is it to be methodical? What's the goal? 

Because if the goal is to score...then we should ask our team to do it in as few plays as possible. Asking any team to be methodical and drive the ball down the field is asking them to be perfect for 10-15 plays instead of 6-78 it's asking them to consider an additional objective to our primary one-to score AND to  keep the other team off the field...which is the defense's job. 

Am I right? Am I wrong? Or are we simply not as good as last year?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

I think you're on to something.  Makes sense to me.  We are doing things methodically that don't get us into the end zone.  Gets us a three and out.  But why?  Did Charlie run this **** at Louisville?  I don't remember it.  It's tough to understand.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

9 minutes ago, Brad said:

We are doing things methodically that don't get us into the end zone.  Gets us a three and out.  

Because we're not executing properly ...

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

9 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think you're on to something.  Makes sense to me.  We are doing things methodically that don't get us into the end zone.  Gets us a three and out.  But why?  Did Charlie run this **** at Louisville?  I don't remember it.  It's tough to understand.

Looking at his four year record there, honestly, yes. Until his final year he almost never rolled over teams. Even beating UF in the Sugar Bowl wasn't a thrashing, or at least it didn't look that way in the final. His biggest win in terms of margin of victory was 56-0...against pre-Fuente era Memphis. 

Trip as far as execution I see your point-but if you are looking to score then you would aim to execute perfectly in every aspect of the play. or at least that's my take on things. 

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Because we're not executing properly ...

Perhaps, but some have moved on from the the three yards and a cloud of dust offense.  Maybe with the forward pass and the favorable treatment of wide receivers it's time to look at other options that players are accustomed to executing.  :shrug

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

We all watched the San Jose game and didn't complain about the offense just the slow start...so it seems this offense has plays in it that fit the players we have...so hopefully they have figured out the good plays and will toss out the bad plays if they want to stay employed. 

7 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

We all watched the San Jose game and didn't complain about the offense just the slow start.

The feeling in the stands may have been different.  It was mind numbing and boring.

When do we start playing like a P6 team?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Just now, Brad said:

The feeling in the stands may have been different.

Mostly talking about the second quarter when it was really wide open on offense for that part of the game...they need to play and call that all the time.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

13 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

We all watched the San Jose game and didn't complain about the offense just the slow start...so it seems this offense has plays in it that fit the players we have...so hopefully they have figured out the good plays and will toss out the bad plays if they want to stay employed.

Today we needed 8' players to fit the plays .... plays were there to be made.

Edited by Triple B
  • Upvote 1

Smoke (where there is said smoke, there might be fire):

On key plays: We had two key turnovers there late in the fourth quarter, but it’s rhythm on the offense and where we just, we have to get first downs, but in order to get first downs we had to be consistent. We have to take the ball, and you can’t score on every play. Sometimes we’re looking for the big play. Just take what the defense gives you.”

Say what?

And when they give you ****, what?