• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bianchi writes a UCF Stadium suck up article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,327
  • Content Count:  21,277
  • Days Won:  10

That is what separates UCF from USF.  Yeah, a freaking stadium makes them so much better.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-ucf-knights-home-mike-bianchi-0824-story.html

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

The article if anyone feels the need to read this drivel ....

They don’t quite understand when you try to tell them the story of what UCF football used to be like in the dark ages before their home stadium was built.

Today’s players look at you like you’re crazy when you tell them about that first UCF game played on a goat ranch near Tampa back in 1979 when the Knights were an upstart Division III outfit of misfits.

Former UCF coach George O’Leary says now with his signature bluntness, “Today’s players don’t know how lucky they are.”

One of those players, linebacker Shaquem Griffin, acknowledges as much. After a recent practice, he looks over at Spectrum Stadium and talks to it as if it’s a person. “We love her. I’d hate to think where we would be without her.”

Ask some of the old-time players and coaches and they will tell you exactly where UCF would be without the stadium. They can tell you this because they’ve already been there. They know what it was like before President John Hitt and some of the school’s top donors decided to pursue building an on-campus stadium.

They will tell you about the first team and the first practice back in 1979 when there was no expansive indoor facility, palatial locker rooms, state-of-the-art training complex and plans to build a lazy river. Back then, there were no scholarships — let alone diva kickers who would give up their scholarship to become a YouTube star.

According to an article written by former Sentinel columnist Larry Guest, there were 148 who showed for UCF's first practice in 1979 — among them, "a bartender, a beekeeper, a bouncer and a guy who boasted experience with a team that had placed second in a flag football league."

They had to buy their own shoes and socks and jerseys and jocks. The players had to pay their own way and Don Jonas, UCF’s first head coach, was an unpaid volunteer who had a full-time job working for the city.

Their first game was at Saint Leo College in 1979, literally played during a summertime rain storm in a field that was once a cow pasture.

O’Leary, before he retired two years ago, would often hear from former UCF players who thanked him for helping shepherd their school into the modern era of college football. “Whenever I talked to the old-time players, they would be so appreciative of how far we’d come as a program,” O’Leary says.

The Knights used to play their games in the cavernous and dilapidated old Citrus Bowl — a stadium that was way too big for UCF’s fan base and way too far away from campus for UCF’s student body. “Every game,” O’Leary recalls, “was like an away game.”

To make matters worse, UCF felt unappreciated in the city-operated Citrus Bowl. Hitt told me the story once of why he decided to pursue an on-campus stadium.

The final slap in the face from the city came when the Citrus Bowl added a new video board several years ago and former UCF athletics director Steve Orsini was trying to negotiate a share of the advertising revenue for UCF.

“There was a take-UCF-for-granted attitude,” Hitt remembered. “When Steve was talking about a share of revenues on the new video board, he was told the value of UCF's fans was nothing — zero. That didn't sit too well with us and got us looking in other directions.”

Hitt has said many times the stadium would have never been built without the aggressiveness and acumen of big-time booster Jerry Roth. When UCF first studied building the new stadium, the estimated cost was an unaffordable $130 million. Roth, an astute businessman who made his millions in pharmaceuticals, did his own study and found that pre-engineered stadiums could be erected for a little more than $50 million.

And, so, Bright House Networks (now Spectrum) Stadium was built and the historic first game against Texas was played on Sept. 15, 2007. The storied Longhorns eked out a dramatic 35-32 victory that, a decade later, O’Leary still laments, “If we don’t fumble the ball, we win that game.”

UCF may have lost on the scoreboard, but that landmark day symbolized perhaps the biggest victory in UCF athletic history. I remember walking through the tailgate lots that day and seeing out-of-town alumni who hadn’t been on campus for a generation and frat boys and sorority girls who had never before been to a home football game.

Eddie Garcia, a senior majoring in molecular microbiology, wore black and gold face paint and a cape that said, “Welcome to the Longhorn Slaughterhouse.”

“We finally have a home — a real home,” Garcia said then. “I'm happy because I'm here to experience this, but I'm sad because this makes me wish I was a freshman all over again. I'd love to be here for another four years.”

Said then-UCF starting quarterback Kyle Israel: “In 20 years, when I come back here to watch games, it's going to feel special to know I played in the first game in this place. Nobody can ever take that away.”

Current UCF assistant coach Sean Beckton was a star receiver for UCF in the 1980s and was in the new stadium as a fan on that historic, euphoric day in 2007.

“It was an unbelievable feeling being there and having that sense of pride as our team ran onto the field,” Beckton recalls. “It was an emotional moment.”

Beckton is now the recruiting coordinator under head coach Scott Frost and he says the stadium and the surrounding football complex has been a major factor in UCF being able to attract the attention of so many more high-level prospects. He says many recruits are wide-eyed when they see how plush and palatial UCF’s facilities are.

“The stadium is huge for us,” Frost says. “Having a stadium where students and alumni congregate on campus is not only important for the football team but for the entire university. Having our own stadium separates us from our rival down south (USF).”

Says linebacker Shaquem Griffin: “You take great pride in being able to call something your home. It’s like my childhood home in St. Pete. If somebody comes to your house, you’re going to do whatever you can to protect it. If somebody barges into your home, opens your refrigerator and starts drinking your milk, you’re going to have a problem with that. Everybody’s welcome to come in, but in the end, they better remember whose home it is.”

Griffin is absolutely right. An on-campus stadium symbolizes a house, a haven and, mostly, a home.

And isn’t home such an amazing place because of the people who live there with you?

It’s a place to share and a place to care.

A place to love and be proud of.

A place to protect and a place to respect.

I don’t know who exactly said this, but whoever it was must have been a college football fan:

“Home is not a place; it’s a feeling.”

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I hate UCF as much as the next guy...probably more. But I was there for the Texas game and it was a pretty awesome campus that day. The people I was with were all out of town UCF alumni and none of them had been on campus since they graduated in 2000. They came up for a few games a year, but driving up Saturday morning (or flying in Friday night) had them staying somewhere near the stadium for the game and not too far a drive/cab for the postgame. Out of town Sunday morning. Not a whole lot of time to make their way over to campus for some nostalgia. I imagine it isn't too different from the way our out of towners do it. But that day, they were pretty **** proud, the campus was buzzing, and a lot of people saw for the first time what their school had become while they were gone. Also, I almost died from dehydration due to drinking my nuts off all morning and no water fountains AND the concessions running out of water bottle forcing them to sell ******* tap water. But, I digress.

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

I hate UCF as much as the next guy...probably more. But I was there for the Texas game and it was a pretty awesome campus that day. The people I was with were all out of town UCF alumni and none of them had been on campus since they graduated in 2000. They came up for a few games a year, but driving up Saturday morning (or flying in Friday night) had them staying somewhere near the stadium for the game and not too far a drive/cab for the postgame. Out of town Sunday morning. Not a whole lot of time to make their way over to campus for some nostalgia. I imagine it isn't too different from the way our out of towners do it. But that day, they were pretty **** proud, the campus was buzzing, and a lot of people saw for the first time what their school had become while they were gone. Also, I almost died from dehydration due to drinking my nuts off all morning and no water fountains AND the concessions running out of water bottle forcing them to sell ******* tap water. But, I digress.

Sell tap water??? Does that mean when they finally did put in the, I assume tap water supplied, water fountains, were they are coin operated ....?

And forcing alumni to visit the campus, and them getting all warm and fuzzy bout it, is one of the things that I don't think anyone here disputes. Out of your group, how many non-season ticket holders bought, and still have, season tickets and/or upped their donations to Athletics?

To the first part, the concession stands ran out o bottled water and were selling cups of ice and tap water in place of bottled water. To the second, I couldn't tell you. All I know, is that the handful of people I associate with upped there donations and started buying season tickets when the stadium was built and started taking a greater interest and pride in the "on campus" situation. Of the handful of UCFers I am friends with, a few bought the tickets and went to all the games on campus despite being out of town and the few others bought with them and gave the tickets away when they couldn't make the trip. I think only one of them had season tickets when it was at the Citrus Bowl, the others bought them after the OCS was built.

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

To the first part, the concession stands ran out o bottled water and were selling cups of ice and tap water in place of bottled water.

That, to me, seems unconscionable ....

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

All I know, is that the handful of people I associate with upped there donations and started buying season tickets when the stadium was built and started taking a greater interest and pride in the "on campus" situation. Of the handful of UCFers I am friends with, a few bought the tickets and went to all the games on campus despite being out of town and the few others bought with them and gave the tickets away when they couldn't make the trip. I think only one of them had season tickets when it was at the Citrus Bowl, the others bought them after the OCS was built.

And I'm sure, and hope and pray, that will hold true for some when USF builds theirs ..... but it's also not like we're playing in a ********, located in a ******** which would, I think, have been a factor for some not buying in over there.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Tom Jones is certainly an outspoken guy. Maybe Judy needs to give him a hug or something.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/jones-charlie-strong-football-program-need-a-cash-commitment-from-usf/2335074

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Some nice improvements this year.

Here's a look at the Top 20 new items for 2017 UCF Football (in no particular order):
1. Stadium Club
We've converted the concourse area on the west side of the stadium into a brand-new premium space and added chairback seats to many sections on the west side of Spectrum Stadium. Fans in these areas now have access to dedicated food and drink options, as well as plenty of other amenities.

2. Expanded Carl Black and Gold Cabana
We've added a premium club space to the concourse on the east side of the stadium, as well. This brand-new space, along with added chairback seats to many sections on the east side of Spectrum Stadium, serve as an expanded Carl Black & Gold Cabana. Fans in these areas now have even more access to dedicated food and drink options, as well as plenty of other amenities.

3. Field Cabanas
Some of the best seats in the house are on the field. These unique spaces combine great premium amenities with the ability to get closer to the game than ever before. Patrons of the field cabanas also have access to a new lounge space, available to them before, during and after the game.

4. New student section locations in both end zones
Our opponents will be facing the Knightmare no matter which direction their offense is heading. In addition, more of our student fans will be closer to the field than ever before.

5. Reserved SKC (Student Knights Club) Section
The SKC is our brand-new student donor group. For more information, click here,

6. #UCFlags
Fans are encouraged to plant and fly their flags at their homes, on their cars, at work, at their tailgates, etc.

7. New ribbon board
A brand-new LED ribbon board has been installed above the south end of the stadium, giving fans at the north end a great view of the score, time remaining and all the other cool content displayed there.

8. New concessionaire
- Papa Johns Pizza will be available in two concession stands (between gates 5-6 and gates 14-15)
- Boar's Head sandwiches will be available in two concession stands (between gates 5-6 and gates 14-15)
- 4 Rivers BBQ will be available in one concession stand (by gate 10)
- Nathan's hot dog kiosks will be set up in several locations on the concourse

9. New catering partner in premium areas
The food just got that much better if you're sitting in the Carl Black & Gold Cabana, Roth Tower or the new Stadium Club.

10. Student concessions specials
Hot dogs and bottles of water for $2 each with your valid UCF student ID at concession stands near Gates 9 and 16.

11. More free ice water
There will now be four (4) free ice water stations on the concourse. Two (2) in the OneStop Cool Zones and two (2) provided by SGA under the student sections.

12. More of your social content on the video and ribbon boards

13. Season Ticket Holder of the Game
Nominate a season ticket holder by clicking here.

14. New UCF Knights App features (game day maps, timelines, in-stadium push notifications, corporate sponsor discounts for fans)

15. New performers for the Tailgate Concert Series

16. New experiences on IOA Plaza, including:
- Supreme Party Machine Game Truck in IOA Plaza prior to Memphis game
- Salsa dance lessons and Domino Tournament in IOA Plaza prior to Georgia Tech game
- Splash Dogs competing on IOA Plaza prior to the Maine game

17. The return of new OYO Sports UCF figurines for Junior Knight Program participants
OYO Sports are licensed collectible sport mini-figures designed to be compatible with major building block toys, such as Lego.

18. Ride share
Ride-sharing drivers will drop off and pick up patrons near the stadium. The rides-share lot (E3) located in front of the Wayne Densch Sports Center (football building).

19. Additional Waterfront parking in the Softball Lot

20. Updated game day Park & Ride and Courtesy shuttles from all sides of campus.

• Downvote 1

Wow. You guys are going to be selling pizza at your games this year. 

#P6

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, footnfan1 said:

Tom Jones is certainly an outspoken guy. Maybe Judy needs to give him a hug or something.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/jones-charlie-strong-football-program-need-a-cash-commitment-from-usf/2335074

It's what sports columnists in large sports media markets do on occasion ............... stir up **** for effect. It would be nice though if it was a more informed stirring.