• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: TOWERING TIGHT ENDS DOING DAMAGE IN UP-TEMPO ATTACK

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Towering Tight Ends Doing Damage in Up-Tempo Attack

TOWERING TIGHT ENDS DOING DAMAGE IN UP-TEMPO ATTACK

By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, AUG. 9, 2017 – USF's evolving up-tempo attack features an impressive of mix of speed, athleticism, toughness and a pair of tight ends that can do major damage against defenses.

Through 12 fall practices, Mitchell Wilcox and Elkanah Dillon, the two largest skill players on the field, are making their presence known with crushing blocks and acrobatic catches for big gains.

"We're just working through the plays and starting to jell on offense, it's going well," said Wilcox after Wednesday's morning session at the Morsani Complex.

Year 1 of having Wilcox in the mix certainly went well last season for a USF offense that set nearly 40 individual and team records. Aside from springing several long runs with his pads, Wilcox used his soft hands to average 23.2 yards per catch on the way to second team all-conference honors as a freshman.

Listed at 6-feet-4 and 250 pounds, Wilcox (Tarpon Springs, Fla.) is making even more of an impact in fall camp as a Mackey Award candidate.

"He plays with physicality and I think he gives our offense an edge," tight ends coach Justin Burke said. "I think there's some nastiness to him that really resonates with a lot of our guys. They take the queue from him."

USF's offense continues to stay in command when Dillon gets to do...

Rest of Report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Been waiting for Dillon to start shining, hope he breaks out this year. Loving the tough football mentality Wilcox is bringing, kid can be a beast for us.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  482
  • Days Won:  1

We might have one of the best TE groups in the country. Will surely add another element to our already explosive offense.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,562
  • Days Won:  29

Was surprised that Wilcox is on the Mackey List.

Excited about both this season.