• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: USF D-TACKLES WANT TO DOMINATE THIS FALL

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

USF D-Tackles Want to Dominate This Fall

USF D-TACKLES WANT TO DOMINATE THIS FALL

By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, AUG. 10, 2017 – For USF to achieve greatness this season, the Bulls know their rapidly improving defense has to be much better than its 2016 numbers.

It all starts up front, where USF's defensive tackles are working to become extraordinary under the guidance of new position coach Sean Cronin.

"I don't expect them to play like normal," Cronin said after fall practice No. 13 Thursday morning. "When you turn on the film, I don't want them to look like every D-lineman. I want them to look like they have exceptional effort."

To accomplish the feat, Cronin is looking to rotate up to five Bulls on the inside throughout games this season to keep the standard high. Fortunately for USF, it's developing a lot of solid depth this fall with veteran upperclassmen leading the way.

One player jumping right out during 11-on-11 action has been senior Deadrin Senat, who has already gained national attention on the Nagurski and Outland preseason watch lists. The summer 2017 graduate and Immokalee, Fla., native led USF's linemen last season with 49 tackles and seven tackles for loss en route to all-conference honors.

Not very vocal in the past, Senat has upped his game in the leadership department this fall to push USF's defensive line to get the most of every practice.

"If we want to be the great defense we strive to be...

Rest of Report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Love to hear that the run-stoppers are getting solid, hope that's really the case. I'm really hoping our DEs get mean this season too, we need that outside presence to break up the option and collapse the pocket.

I know this is about defense, but this was a quote worthy of mention, I love McCants' potential to do damage this year:

USF's offense showed some physicality of its own, particular junior receiver Tyre McCants (5-11, 236), who threw defenders off him near the goal line during a touchdown reception.