• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Knight: Defense - If the season started today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Well good for Reaves.  Thats really surprising given Black, Brown, Jackson, should be the guys to beat.  Reaves always looked good at practice when I used to go to open practices.   I'm hopeful they get it right this year.  Maybe Mathies wasn't such a good coach overall.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Regardless of the LB depth situation, this defense will be better than last year. They don't have to be significantly better just a little. We will be fine and I won't be surprised if they actually win a game or two during the season. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

31 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Regardless of the LB depth situation, this defense will be better than last year. They don't have to be significantly better just a little. We will be fine and I won't be surprised if they actually win a game or two during the season. 

ehhhhhhh...we need to be more than just a little better.  I nearly ripped out my hair at the Navy game.  We were up 3 TDs or so, and late in the game, Navy receivers were getting behind our safeties.  Drove me insane...you KNOW Navy has to throw, you should be able to make standard deep balls low % plays.

Similar with UCF and S Carolina.  They got abused so badly, you could never assume a game was in the bag.

That said, I think our D will be much better in 2017.

2 hours ago, JupiterBull said:

ehhhhhhh...we need to be more than just a little better.  I nearly ripped out my hair at the Navy game.  We were up 3 TDs or so, and late in the game, Navy receivers were getting behind our safeties.  Drove me insane...you KNOW Navy has to throw, you should be able to make standard deep balls low % plays.

Similar with UCF and S Carolina.  They got abused so badly, you could never assume a game was in the bag.

That said, I think our D will be much better in 2017.

I think we have to define "better." In my opinion if we decrease points scored by 25% we will be fine. Last year we averaged 31 points against. Reduce that by 25% that's almost eight points less per game by the opponent. I think we score more than 23 points in every game we play next year. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Just good tackling form alone should make the defense a good amount better.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Pretty shocking first team if it ends up this way. Hope this speaks to the strength of our depth guys, rather than defects with some of the core that is missing.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Our defense was left in bad shape last year. Hard to have any expectations or to have concern over any roster.

After last year, I see no problem with having some fresh faces. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

21 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think we have to define "better." In my opinion if we decrease points scored by 25% we will be fine. Last year we averaged 31 points against. Reduce that by 25% that's almost eight points less per game by the opponent. I think we score more than 23 points in every game we play next year. 

fair enough, but 25% is more than a little in my eyes.  I  think we can still beat most teams in shootouts, but bad breaks, injuries, etc., and a bad defense could mean several losses.

13 minutes ago, JupiterBull said:

fair enough, but 25% is more than a little in my eyes.  I  think we can still beat most teams in shootouts, but bad breaks, injuries, etc., and a bad defense could mean several losses.

Good point about 25% being more than a little. But having a daughter, I have been brain washed by her that 25% is not that much...at least as far as money goes. :lmao: