• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Four Reasons Why “American Power” Is Absurd

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

Four Reasons Why “American Power” Is Absurd

If you've paid any attention to the college football landscape this offseason, you've noticed that the American Athletic Conference is attempting to make moves. They have a memorable media days tradition (lobsters!), a dicey hashtag (#AmericanPow6r!), and an eagerness to run with the big boys in the Power 5.

This is, at least with regards to the football field, pretty ludicrous. Here's why:

1. An aspiring Power 6 conference should be willing to go toe-to-toe with the competent big boys in non-conference play.

I examined the 2017 schedule of every team in the Group of 5 -- Sun Belt, Mid-American, Conference USA, Mountain West and, yes, the American -- to count how many non-conference games each has with Power 5 teams that played in a bowl last season. How did the numbers shake out?

C-USA - 18

Mountain West - 15

Sun Belt - 13

MAC - 9

American - 8

Granted, there may be a few caveats that partially....

Rest of Sto6y

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

You beat me to it.  As I was reading the article, it was apparent that there was an MWC slant to it.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

Should get you fired up for SJSU then I guess.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

29 minutes ago, Brad said:

Should get you fired up for SJSU then I guess.  

**** yeah! First game of a Strong New Era ...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I hate this article because it's mostly true.

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

I hate this article because it's mostly true.

A lot of it is true, but he also cherry picked numbers. If I want a biased opinion I'll take it from Aresco and his cherry picked numbers ...

“We probably haven’t done enough to say we’re in the Power group, but the more I thought about it there’s no admittance to this, no one admits you to it.

"We’ve won 19 P5 and Notre Dame games the last two years," he said. "We have won national championships in (men's) basketball and women’s basketball. We have Olympic champions. One of our Olympic golfers just won the John Deere, Bryson Dechambeau of SMU. We’re paying Cost of Attendance, we’re in big markets, we’ve got our attendance average up to 33,000."

"We’re starting to look much more like the P5 than the G5."

“Last year, we had a couple teams that were probably as good as anybody in the Group of Five. We were 20-2 against those conferences during the season last year.”

That was a pretty nice article from TDS ...

I love the heavy push, but anyone who watches college football knows we're the 6th best conference. And anyone making the decision on how much money we get knows the rankings look something like this:

P1

P2

P3

P4

P5

P6

Everyone else...

Edited by JTrue

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

A lot of it is true, but he also cherry picked numbers. If I want a biased opinion I'll take it from Aresco and his cherry picked numbers ...

“We probably haven’t done enough to say we’re in the Power group, but the more I thought about it there’s no admittance to this, no one admits you to it.

"We’ve won 19 P5 and Notre Dame games the last two years," he said. "We have won national championships in (men's) basketball and women’s basketball. We have Olympic champions. One of our Olympic golfers just won the John Deere, Bryson Dechambeau of SMU. We’re paying Cost of Attendance, we’re in big markets, we’ve got our attendance average up to 33,000."

"We’re starting to look much more like the P5 than the G5."

“Last year, we had a couple teams that were probably as good as anybody in the Group of Five. We were 20-2 against those conferences during the season last year.”

That was a pretty nice article from TDS ...

And you know as well as I do, winning games isn't what being considered P6 comes down to.

47 minutes ago, JTrue said:

And you know as well as I do, winning games isn't what being considered P6 comes down to.

Absolutely .... but none of the things the MWC dweeb harped on will be much of a factor either so no need to hate. Reality is the chance of there actually being a P6 is pretty remote, barring something extraordinary . I think Aresco is smart enough to realize that but I just appreciate him giving it the old college try, no matter how futile it probably is.