• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Where is the reporting on the defense?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, MMW said:

Refresh my memory, are you saying we did not have the ball for the last nine min left in the game except for one play?  How did they have three scoring drive without us touching the ball?

Either way, bad example then but my point stands.

He's saying that over the last 9 min of the game, up by 25, all we did was run the ball and attempt to control clock. Our problem wasn't slowing our offense down, it was slowing there's down.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, raptorcj said:

All true, but momentum is a fickle friend. If you stop trying to move the ball and start chewing time, you give opportunity for a momentum shift. Then you may not be able to move the ball when you have to late in the game (see Atlanta Falcons, Superbowl LI). I've always been in favor of playing to score on every drive, first series to last. No mercy until it's time to send in the backups.

I am not saying don't score but just do it methodically.  Also use the play clock to your advantage. 

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

He's saying that over the last 9 min of the game, up by 25, all we did was run the ball and attempt to control clock. Our problem wasn't slowing our offense down, it was slowing there's down.

Then I disagree.  If we ran the ball properly and used up the play clock, nine minutes goes by fast.  We just sucked at salting the game away.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 minutes ago, MMW said:

Then I disagree.  If we ran the ball properly and used up the play clock, nine minutes goes by fast.  We just sucked at salting the game away.

When you don't execute, the gameplan doesn't matter. You claimed our gameplan sucked at the end of the Navy game. All we did was run the ball to control clock. We just didn't gain the yardage to keep the clock moving. 3 and out only takes 2:00 if you don't get a first down.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

I thought we didn't work clock well in smu game also.  It is a area we can get better at on offense.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,467
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

When you don't execute, the gameplan doesn't matter. You claimed our gameplan sucked at the end of the Navy game. All we did was run the ball to control clock. We just didn't gain the yardage to keep the clock moving. 3 and out only takes 2:00 if you don't get a first down.

You complete me .... Also, thing was we only had one 3 and out in those last 9 minutes. The other possession ended in a missed fg. That game was close at the very end not because of game plan but because of execution on all sides of the ball. 

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

I didn't claim our game plan sucked.  I said we sucked at salting away the game.  Poor execution.  I think we are saying the same thing.

Guys, plenty of time Willie ran the hurry up and we went three and out when we had a big lead.  Passing and running take the almost (almost) same amount of time off the clock if you snap as soon as the ball is set.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

3 minutes ago, MMW said:
1 hour ago, JTrue said:

I didn't claim our game plan sucked.  I said we sucked at salting away the game.  Poor execution.  I think we are saying the same thing.

Guys, plenty of time Willie ran the hurry up and we went three and out when we had a big lead.  Passing and running take the almost (almost) same amount of time off the clock if you snap as soon as the ball is set.

True dat, but it's a heck of a whole lot easier to stop the O when you know it's a run every time. Can't account for poor execution, though.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

15 minutes ago, Triple B said:
1 hour ago, JTrue said:

You complete me

Eww

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

There is no such thing as scoring "too fast"

There is, however, such a thing as "not being able to stop them from scoring"

not-again-----amp-039-amp-039_fb_1908813

• Upvote 1