• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Where is the reporting on the defense?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Days Won:  6

10 hours ago, Calibull said:

He actually said he'd like to be able to slow the ball down and control the clock when we needed to.  He never actually said he wanted to slow the entire offense down.  

How many times were we up by a bunch and we watched the other team score and come back like Navy?  Yea we won most of those games but it was not ideal.

In basketball when you are up and the game is winding down you don't shoot, you pass the ball around.  It is hard for the other team to score if you have the ball.  I would much rather see us play smart and control the game.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, MMW said:
11 hours ago, Calibull said:

He actually said he'd like to be able to slow the ball down and control the clock when we needed to.  He never actually said he wanted to slow the entire offense down.  

How many times were we up by a bunch and we watched the other team score and come back like Navy?  Yea we won most of those games but it was not ideal.

In basketball when you are up and the game is winding down you don't shoot, you pass the ball around.  It is hard for the other team to score if you have the ball.  I would much rather see us play smart and control the game.

All true, but momentum is a fickle friend. If you stop trying to move the ball and start chewing time, you give opportunity for a momentum shift. Then you may not be able to move the ball when you have to late in the game (see Atlanta Falcons, Superbowl LI). I've always been in favor of playing to score on every drive, first series to last. No mercy until it's time to send in the backups.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

12 hours ago, Calibull said:

1 hour ago, MMW said:

In the Navy game, we were up by 25 with 9 min left in game. we threw one pass, that was for a 2 yd loss, the rest of the game. Navy had 3 scoring drives from that point on averaging 75 yds, less than 2 minutes each. Navy didn't come back because of the offense not trying to control the ball, it was because we couldn't make a stop. The only criticism i can think of is that we didn't always fully utilize the play clock at times we should have.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, raptorcj said:

All true, but momentum is a fickle friend. If you stop trying to move the ball and start chewing time, you give opportunity for a momentum shift. Then you may not be able to move the ball when you have to late in the game (see Atlanta Falcons, Superbowl LI). I've always been in favor of playing to score on every drive, first series to last. No mercy until it's time to send in the backups.

Or like how Weist and Company turtled up in the second half of the bowl and SC almost came back and won.  

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

In the Navy game, we were up by 25 with 9 min left in game. we threw one pass, that was for a 2 yd loss, the rest of the game. Navy had 3 scoring drives from that point on averaging 75 yds, less than 2 minutes each. Navy didn't come back because of the offense not trying to control the ball, it was because we couldn't make a stop. The only criticism i can think of is that we didn't always fully utilize the play clock at times we should have.

Yeah, the defense was definitely to blame but we also had quite a few reserves in the game on D when the come back started.  We pulled off the gas wayyyyyy to early on both sides of the ball. If you have a questionable/bad defense and the other team can't stop you, score until you break the scoreboard.  You never know when you may need those points IE the bowl game and the Navy game.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

5 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Yeah, the defense was definitely to blame but we also had quite a few reserves in the game on D when the come back started.  We pulled off the gas wayyyyyy to early on both sides of the ball. If you have a questionable/bad defense and the other team can't stop you, score until you break the scoreboard.  You never know when you may need those points IE the bowl game and the Navy game.  

I kind of see that but 25 points, 9 minutes, against a supposedly run oriented team ... Plus, you don't want to be running up the score against a service academy ..... so unpatriotic.

Just now, Triple B said:

I kind of see that but 25 points, 9 minutes, against a supposedly run oriented team ... Plus, you don't want to be running up the score against a service academy ..... so unpatriotic.

Nah, always try to break your side of the scoreboard and keep the other guy's from changing from zero.  It's their job to stop you, if they can't do that it's on them....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Nah, always try to break your side of the scoreboard and keep the other guy's from changing from zero.  It's their job to stop you, if they can't do that it's on them....

Commie ...

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Commie ...

Image result for russian bull

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Days Won:  6

35 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Refresh my memory, are you saying we did not have the ball for the last nine min left in the game except for one play?  How did they have three scoring drive without us touching the ball?

Either way, bad example then but my point stands.

• Upvote 1