• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS!!!

Guest PCBull14

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

I think the idea of an OCS is like a frosting on a cake. I think that currently we have a bare bones gameday experience. With a winning team people are going to show up. I think we'll see a slight jump next year in ticket sales because we'll be winning but nothing like if we had an OCS. Do I have any facts to back this up? No, most schools that build stadiums are either bad and getting better or built them 100 years ago.

I think that the fan experience and the alumni experience would be a lot different if people were on campus instead of downtown. I think there is something about being on campus not only so students show up, which matters very little in the affordability of a stadium, but for the alumni base would be closer to campus. I'd like to know if donations are higher at schools with on campus stadiums than those with off campus stadiums. I'm sure they are because the fan base would feel more connected to the campus during football games and rallies.

You see schools like Ole Miss that have been historically bad but have awesome OCS tradition during tailgates. If we had 1/10th of that we would have a much more sustainable fan base.. I'm not saying we'd have 40,000 people if we sucked it up but 30,000 during bad years would be a lot more stabilizing than what we've seen over the past 5 years.

An OCS is expensive but if the school can fundraise most of the money and minimize the debt overall of a major stadium, I think we would be alright and have a pretty sustainable budget going forward. Anything less than 45-50 seats* would be idiotic.. we'll probably average 38-40 thousand people this year at RJ with a **** schedule.. Why would we build a stadium that would hold the same or less than that? That makes no sense at all.

*Unless there is some under the table deal with a major conference which means we should go to 55-60 thousand which I think our fan base would be able to support if we were in a big 12 or big 10 conference. (by support I mean when we play ranked teams it would fill up)

Edited by tampatony

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

15 hours ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

This entire thread should be terminated by the opposing attornies objecting due to speculation.

The hell it should be, we haven't even gotten to 100 pages yet

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

8 hours ago, Triple B said:

Coming off an 11 win season, just hired the perfect fit, on paper, for the program .... yeah, I'm pretty happy with the current state. And I'm not AGAINST an OCS, just against the zealots who think one is needed for the program to get to the next level.

If there were a ton of people like you that don't attend games because they ARE at RayJay (which I think is shameful for a USF alumnus, btw) there would have been some serious noise about an ocs long before now.

I didn't say I don't attend games at Ray Jay. I said I would attend more at an OCS. So would a lot of other people in my opinion.

34 minutes ago, tampatony said:

I think the idea of an OCS is like a frosting on a cake. I think that currently we have a bare bones gameday experience. With a winning team people are going to show up. I think we'll see a slight jump next year in ticket sales because we'll be winning but nothing like if we had an OCS. Do I have any facts to back this up? No, most schools that build stadiums are either bad and getting better or built them 100 years ago.

I think that the fan experience and the alumni experience would be a lot different if people were on campus instead of downtown. I think there is something about being on campus not only so students show up, which matters very little in the affordability of a stadium, but for the alumni base would be closer to campus. I'd like to know if donations are higher at schools with on campus stadiums than those with off campus stadiums. I'm sure they are because the fan base would feel more connected to the campus during football games and rallies.

You see schools like Ole Miss that have been historically bad but have awesome OCS tradition during tailgates. If we had 1/10th of that we would have a much more sustainable fan base.. I'm not saying we'd have 40,000 people if we sucked it up but 30,000 during bad years would be a lot more stabilizing than what we've seen over the past 5 years.

An OCS is expensive but if the school can fundraise most of the money and minimize the debt overall of a major stadium, I think we would be alright and have a pretty sustainable budget going forward. Anything less than 45-50 seats* would be idiotic.. we'll probably average 38-40 thousand people this year at RJ with a **** schedule.. Why would we build a stadium that would hold the same or less than that? That makes no sense at all.

*Unless there is some under the table deal with a major conference which means we should go to 55-60 thousand which I think our fan base would be able to support if we were in a big 12 or big 10 conference. (by support I mean when we play ranked teams it would fill up)

Amen!!!

This is why I think it's a "no brainer". Obviously things cost money. But it seems like the next logical step in the programs development. I have a hard time with people that don't get this.

People opposed to the idea keep talking about the money and focusing on the "business" side of the OCS. Yet they fail to acknowledge that college football IS A BUSINESS, and the gameday experience is THE PRODUCT. 

If the product is to improve and tradition and general interest is going to grow we need to stop being the Bucs Jr. in this town and create our own niche and identity.

Anyone that takes the time to read this board and post up is clearly passionate about the program. We are all going to support it no matter what. But the gameday experience can be so much better than it is now.

I would argue that the USF Football Program has earned our own OCS. We rose quickly under CJL. We stumbled with Skippy (although still had some signature wins)...started kicking ass again with CWT and now have CSS and all the momentum in the world.

The time is now!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, tampatony said:

I dont think an OCS garuntees any of it personally. I don't think that just because we have an OCS that we automatically have a better game day experiance, Ole Miss may have great game day traditions just like Auburn, Alabama, Florida etc they've been playing football longer than we have been a university; id be shocked if they didn't have a better crowd atmosphere. Also that goes with money too, some of these schools have generations of alumni and this deeper ties to their school and this more willing to support (I'd your family's been donating to the school since your great grandpa attended you're going to be more likely to open the wallet than if you were the first in your family to graduate college). 

An OCS also doesn't mean students will show up, ask UCiF where the students show up to tailgate but dont actually attend games. Our student body would be more likely to show up for the party but not make it inside the stadium as well so an OCS doesn't mean shot as far as that's concerned. How are all these traditions and turn ours at our other sports games and matches? You know because everything else in on campus even if it's apples to oranges; even a slight bump because they are on campus would show me so proof of that. I'm willing to bet our Attendance for basketball is right about the same as it was when we played at Amelie for a year; maybe Trip or CR who attend all basketball games can let me know.

If we can raise enough with donations earmarked for an OCS(you can tell them exactly how you want your donation spent)  than great otherwise don't use the general donations or even donations specifically made towards athletics go towards one. I will be earmarking my donation starting next year for an IPF with hopes that one my money is going to what I see more valuable to the program and also to show that there is fan support for one. If you want an OCS open your wallet and let them know it's for an OCS if enough of you do that one will eventually be built. 

Again like I stated earlier I'm not against one of it makes sense but I'm against building one just to have one. Why worry about keeping up with the Jonses and instead worry about winning over Tampa. Because if we don't get fans to Ray Jay with world class amenities than why are your average Joes going to come just because it's on campus? Seriously if someone can realistically answer thatst question with plausible answers and not just blind wishing I'd probably be all for it. Otherwise whybsink $100-200 million into something that will bring in maybe a couple mil in ROI? Sounds like a great way to bankrupt a business/university/athletic department when we have not only a sustainable option that we can easily make that same couple million per year without the debt. Until it makes financial sense and not just in the "If you build it they will come sense" because we're not Kevin Costner and just because we build an OCS doesn't mean more than the 20-30k are going to show up. I tell you what though go do a survey and ask people on campus or people who stopped attending if they would be more likely to show up with an OCS; my guess is they will still watch at home (if at all) if they're not already going which than makes an OCS a moneypit and we would just be throwing money at a problem without a real plan to fix the real issues underlying this program.

Edited by 206BULL

• Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

28 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

I dont think an OCS garuntees any of it personally...

.... the real issues underlying this program.

I think you are right it doesn't guarantee it, it does allow for it to happen. I don't think our current situation allows for traditions to even come to fruition because we have to deal with changes from an outside entity.. I can tell you that I've had to change my personal tailgating experience at least 3 times over the last few years due to changing tailgating areas. That is not ideal. 

Also I think if we're going to build one it should be when we are relatively successful instead of when we aren't doing all that well. It allows for greater hype around the OCS and more buy in. Even a mention of it in a press conference has created 27 pages of discussion on our board alone. As much as people want to downplay the importance of an OCS, it does create excitement and would add to our pride as a university and a fan base.

Do we need one? No, not really not right now but when we go through a spell when we aren't playing well and we only have 15,000 people showing up we'll be wishing we had one because without a winning team the only people showing up will be the diehards and the families of the players. If we have an OCS we get them and we also get those that enjoy going back to campus and participating in whatever events we could have there one game day. That isn't an option currently, it all has to be manufactured that same day or morning.

Imagine if people like Plies or other Tampa celebrities had designated tailgating locations? What if we had an Alumni/donor tailgating location that people could go to every game? If we had spots that we could package and buy along with our season tickets? Those types of things generate interest, income, and tradition that goes farther than just wins and losses. 

• Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Ole MIss has not been historically that bad.  They were also around in a time when people rooted for their team and everyone wasn't bandwagoneers.  They raised generations and generations of fans.  

But most of all the Ole Miss gameday atmosphere trumps ours because they are playing a top 25 team every other home game, and almost always on Saturdays.  If we played their schedule way way way more people would show up at Raymond James.

Edited by slowdown
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 206BULL said:

I dont think an OCS garuntees any of it personally. I don't think that just because we have an OCS that we automatically have a better game day experiance, Ole Miss may have great game day traditions just like Auburn, Alabama, Florida etc they've been playing football longer than we have been a university; id be shocked if they didn't have a better crowd atmosphere. Also that goes with money too, some of these schools have generations of alumni and this deeper ties to their school and this more willing to support (I'd your family's been donating to the school since your great grandpa attended you're going to be more likely to open the wallet than if you were the first in your family to graduate college). 

An OCS also doesn't mean students will show up, ask UCiF where the students show up to tailgate but dont actually attend games. Our student body would be more likely to show up for the party but not make it inside the stadium as well so an OCS doesn't mean shot as far as that's concerned. How are all these traditions and turn ours at our other sports games and matches? You know because everything else in on campus even if it's apples to oranges; even a slight bump because they are on campus would show me so proof of that. I'm willing to bet our Attendance for basketball is right about the same as it was when we played at Amelie for a year; maybe Trip or CR who attend all basketball games can let me know.

If we can raise enough with donations earmarked for an OCS(you can tell them exactly how you want your donation spent)  than great otherwise don't use the general donations or even donations specifically made towards athletics go towards one. I will be earmarking my donation starting next year for an IPF with hopes that one my money is going to what I see more valuable to the program and also to show that there is fan support for one. If you want an OCS open your wallet and let them know it's for an OCS if enough of you do that one will eventually be built. 

Again like I stated earlier I'm not against one of it makes sense but I'm against building one just to have one. Why worry about keeping up with the Jonses and instead worry about winning over Tampa. Because if we don't get fans to Ray Jay with world class amenities than why are your average Joes going to come just because it's on campus? Seriously if someone can realistically answer thatst question with plausible answers and not just blind wishing I'd probably be all for it. Otherwise whybsink $100-200 million into something that will bring in maybe a couple mil in ROI? Sounds like a great way to bankrupt a business/university/athletic department when we have not only a sustainable option that we can easily make that same couple million per year without the debt. Until it makes financial sense and not just in the "If you build it they will come sense" because we're not Kevin Costner and just because we build an OCS doesn't mean more than the 20-30k are going to show up. I tell you what though go do a survey and ask people on campus or people who stopped attending if they would be more likely to show up with an OCS; my guess is they will still watch at home (if at all) if they're not already going which than makes an OCS a moneypit and we would just be throwing money at a problem without a real plan to fix the real issues underlying this program.

We actually agree an a couple of points:

1. USF should try to "win" Tampa Bay. I actually think it's possible. The Bucs have been around since 1976, Bulls Football since 1997. That's only 21 years. Bucs Football is not so ingrained in the fabric of Tampa Bay that it is the unquestioned and unbeatable leader. I think it could easily be argued that the Lightning have become the #1 most popular team in the Bay Area. How did that happen? By (1) A commitment to winning and community activism and (1a) Creating a superior "experience".

It is my opinion that USF Football will always be considered 2nd best if we continue to play in the Bucs house (no matter how nice that house is). Perception is reality. In order for USF to compete for the local fan dollar and interest, we need to differentiate.

2. Focus on the underlying problems with the program. I believe an underlying problem with the program is the perception that the University is not fully committed to developing the program, i.e. remaining content playing a distant second fiddle to the Bucs.

I am curious what you think the underlying problems are?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

6 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

College football was meant to be played on campus. 

It was also meant to be played with leather helmets.

#jussayin

• Upvote 1