• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

2 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

You have no idea how big Austin is.  Austin is a HUGE city with close to a million people in the city alone.  The Austin city skyline dwarfs Tampa's.  They have a 700 foot building in their skyline which is like 200 feet taller than anything Tampa has.  Everything about Austin is bigger than Tampa.  Skyline bigger.  Traffic worse.  City bigger.  The only reason Tampa is bigger is in metro area, and that is only because it includes St Pete and Clearwater.  But if we're going to go that route, the Austin/San Antonio area (San Antonio is only 70 miles away) has close to 5 million people total. 

Got it, thanks!

Now on to the latest about Strong.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

3 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

You have no idea how big Austin is.  Austin is a HUGE city with close to a million people in the city alone.  The Austin city skyline dwarfs Tampa's.  They have a 700 foot building in their skyline which is like 200 feet taller than anything Tampa has.  Everything about Austin is bigger than Tampa.  Skyline bigger.  Traffic worse.  City bigger.  The only reason Tampa is bigger is in metro area, and that is only because it includes St Pete and Clearwater.  But if we're going to go that route, the Austin/San Antonio area (San Antonio is only 70 miles away) has close to 5 million people total. 

Huge tech economy there too.  Almost like a baby silicon valley.  It's a fantastic city.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

and pretty much nobody in Tampa cares.

Just fighting misperceptions.  Austin is one of the 15 largest cities in the country.  It is a major city.  Like 10X the size of Tallahasee.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,327
  • Content Count:  21,277
  • Days Won:  10

Austin is a fun city, Franklins BBQ, Microbrews and great live music.  So, this is Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clearwater with great beaches and nice warm weather.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

11 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Austin is bigger than Tampa.  932,000 in Austin versus 346,000 in Tampa.  The Tampa Bay area is bigger.  2.975 million in the Tampa Bay Metro region, but Austin's Metro region is just over 2 million.  So this area is bigger, but it's not as dramatic a difference as you'd think.  It's pretty close in size to the Orlando Metro region.  

the Mayors of Orlando and Tampa are actually trying to be more like Austin. It's definitely one of the coolest cities east of the Rockies, tons of California transplants. Great food, downtown, and live music scene with 2 huge Music Festivals per year

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Just now, BDYZR said:

and pretty much nobody in Tampa cares.

+1

I don't get why people spend so much time nitpicking this demographic stuff. It was an offhand comment comparing Tampa to Austin. 

Is the goal is to get me to like Austin more? Because I don't. I was indifferent about Austin before, but now I HATE Austin. And I think it's the suckiest city on earth.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Days Won:  0

Not sure what the argument about Austin vs Tampa is.. media markets? If you're talking about quality of living there is no contest. I think you'd be very hard pressed to find anyone preferring to live in Tampa. That is unless you're:

A. From New York and prefer to be around other New Yorkers

B. Are super wealthy and own a boat

OR

C. Only listen to rap music.

I've lived in both Tampa (6 years) and Austin (3 years). So just my opinion, but Austin has it's own culture, as opposed to a melting pot that doesn't melt.

Edited by BULLSHTR
  • Downvote 3

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

Huge tech economy there too.  Almost like a baby silicon valley.  It's a fantastic city.  

Yeah.  Austin is one of the nicest cities in the country.  It's Texas' jewel.  And it's near San Antonio - about the distance between Orlando and Tampa.  That region is beautiful and very different from how most people perceive Texas - but Texas is so big and has so many different geographic regions.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, ambienknights said:

the Mayors of Orlando and Tampa are actually trying to be more like Austin. It's definitely one of the coolest cities east of the Rockies, tons of California transplants. Great food, downtown, and live music scene with 2 huge Music Festivals per year

california transplants...? That's why we want to replicate it?

You could have at least gone for the fact that it's becoming the mid-west's tech hub.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Wow this thread just hit the ****** talking about geography..., 

• Upvote 1