• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

My thoughts on Lane Kiffin, as a candidate for USF:

He has a huge negative stigma, but I'm willing to overlook some of it.

His awful tenure at the Raiders? Well, he didn't make the stupid decision to hire a college coordinator to be the youngest first time NFL head coach. Kiffin accepted the gig; who wouldn't? He clearly needed more aging. Al Davis dun' goofed.

At USC, he under-preformed (for USC standards), but he had as much success there as any coach since Pete Carroll, while dealing with harsh NCAA penalties.

I feel like Kiffin, now 41 and coaching the best offense in the SEC, while learning under the best coach in college (no disputing that), is ready to take off.

Because it's his next job (wherever that is), or bust. He will be lucky to be get a 3rd chance. There won't be a 4th.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  425

Larry Scott was the first guy I thought of as a replacement. I was watching what he was doing with Miami last year, finishing the season strong with them as their HC. This would be his dream job and I know he can do the job as good or better than Willie. We know he can recruit and we know he can lead an entire team (see UM last year). This is a no-brainer for me. He's paid his dues, so let's get him and keep this train rolling!!!

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

8 minutes ago, OncomingStorm said:
My thoughts on Lane Kiffin, as a candidate for USF:

He has a huge negative stigma, but I'm willing to overlook some of it.

His awful tenure at the Raiders? Well, he didn't make the stupid decision to hire a college coordinator to be the youngest first time NFL head coach. Kiffin accepted the gig; who wouldn't? He clearly needed more aging. Al Davis dun' goofed.

At USC, he under-preformed (for USC standards), but he had as much success there as any coach since Pete Carroll, while dealing with harsh NCAA penalties.

I feel like Kiffin, now 41 and coaching the best offense in the SEC, while learning under the best coach in college (no disputing that), is ready to take off.

Because it's his next job (wherever that is), or bust. He will be lucky to be get a 3rd chance. There won't be a 4th.

Very difficult sell to Judy.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

Cincinnati: The school is meeting with Ohio State co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell today, according to CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd, who adds that it’s unlikely Charlie Strong ends up at Cincinnati. 

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

3 minutes ago, 2000bull said:

Cincinnati: The school is meeting with Ohio State co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell today, according to CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd, who adds that it’s unlikely Charlie Strong ends up at Cincinnati. 

Bc Strong is going to S O U T H F L O R I D A South Florida, South Florida, Goooo Bulls!!

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Neal Brown, Eddie Gran, or Charlie Strong.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Have heard Judy and Harlan refer to USF as a young aspirational university.  Taggart fit the young aspirational culture.  I would expect them to try and repeat the Taggart hire with a young  up and comer rather than a retread.

Edited by El_Toro_86

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  425

Just now, El_Toro_86 said:

Have heard Judy and Harlan refer to USF as a young aspirational university.  Taggart fit the young aspirational culture.  I would expect them to try and repeat the Taggart hire with a young  up and comer rather than a retread.

Larry Scott. Don't want any retreads!

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Those of you saying no retreads would you be willing to sacrifice another 1-3 years while they learn to be a head coach at this level?

What you would call a retread I would call experience and this point in time that is exactly what we need. A Miles or Strong HC appointment would hit the ground running. They might be gone in 3 years they might not but with a veteran coach the expectation for this team would be no down time learning. In three years we could be in a good position to move to a P5 conference if we continue to do well and grow. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Those of you saying no retreads would you be willing to sacrifice another 1-3 years while they learn to be a head coach at this level?

What you would call a retread I would call experience and this point in time that is exactly what we need. A Miles or Strong HC appointment would hit the ground running. They might be gone in 3 years they might not but with a veteran coach the expectation for this team would be no down time learning. In three years we could be in a good position to move to a P5 conference if we continue to do well and grow. 

One man's retread is another man's viable coach who ran into a bad fit.