• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oregon reaches out to Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

48 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I hate 2 use the race card, but Taggart is not leaving. #1 reason is that Black football coaches rarely get 2nd chances to be a head coach once they get fired. 

You play the cards that are dealt, no need for apologies. You call a spade a spade when you see one. People earlier were more than happy to say he's an affirmative action interview,  as if he's accomplished nothing worth respecting... That's why it's said "you have to be twice as good to get half as far."  Even when you are the best candidate, you'll always have people saying your opportunity was a P.R. move and you were undeserving...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

I think Oregon will try to get chip Kelly to come back. His foray into the NFL hasn't worked out, and Nike can match whatever the NFL will pay him.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

9 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

Agreed. Strong would be great here, he could recruit like crazy and quite honestly, in the AAC, if you can get quality Florida players, you can win a lot of games. 

you would want a guy that couldn't succeed at texas? Texas has such a huge advantage over everyone but OU in their conference. They are the highest revenue generating program in the country and ESPN gave them their own channel. They literally have top recruits from a top recruiting state begging to go there.

He just lost a game to KU who had 4 conference wins in the last 7 years. that was in year 3 of his "turnaround". Why people want to hire failures is beyond me

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  1

11 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

you would want a guy that couldn't succeed at texas? Texas has such a huge advantage over everyone but OU in their conference. They are the highest revenue generating program in the country and ESPN gave them their own channel. They literally have top recruits from a top recruiting state begging to go there.

He just lost a game to KU who had 4 conference wins in the last 7 years. that was in year 3 of his "turnaround". Why people want to hire failures is beyond me

Kind of like skip holtz? He was the definition of failure at USF and is now playing for a conference championship. Strong is a better coach than willie imo. He was set up to fail at Texas from the beginning. Get him back in Florida and maybe we finally win a conference championship?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

53 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Bull let's not act like Charlie Strong is some bum off the street. As a DC at UF and as HC at Louisville he recruited the state of Florida well. People here are hoping he has those connections still. Did he suck balls at Texas - yup. Do that mean he would suck here if it came down to it - nope. 

Would I rather have Taggart? All day

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807

10 hours ago, NCBull said:

That's about the same kind of laugh I had when Washington beat them 70-21.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

57 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Absolutely! I am good at my job because I have great relationships. If I moved to Texas, I would be starting completely from scratch. He was good at UF and UL because he was able to recruit Florida heavily, he had great relationships, specifically in south Florida, and he got great players due to those relationships.

He goes to Texas and all of that changes. I think you'll see Herman turn Texas around pretty quick, and he'll get all the credit, but, the reality is that Strong needed more time to build relationships and start recruiting. Also, being a black coach in Texas probably hurt him with the boosters, recruits, and high school coaches. I think it's easy to say that Texas is such an easy place to win, but, every job is hard if you don't have solid footing. USC is a prime example, everyone thought they would just be a national power forever and they dropped off. Notre Dame is the same really. I would venture to say that at Texas, the boosters have a lot more say in day-to-day activities than probably anywhere else in the NCAA. So, how good at your job would you be if you had 15,000 bosses?

Strong is a good coach and I maintain that if CWT leaves, we would be lucky to land him. On the other hand, I really think CWT should talk to Strong before he runs off to Oregon (or any other job). He should understand the risks and pressures of that type of job, specifically on a minority head coach. I bet Strong would say that he wished he stayed at Louisville one more year and maybe got a chance to go somewhere in the southeast where he knew he could recruit and not have to start from the ground floor.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

You're delusional. He's a Florida guy who recruits Florida talent.  His Louisville teams were fantastic.  Texas was a bad for fit. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

3 minutes ago, BrowardBull17 said:

You're delusional. He's a Florida guy who recruits Florida talent.  His Louisville teams were fantastic.  Texas was a bad for fit. 

In 3 years someone could be saying the same about Taggart if he goes to Oregon. I wish him and his family the best no matter what, but, I really hope he either stays here, or, chooses his next job wisely. He WILL get opportunities, make sure the fit is good.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,007
  • Days Won:  38

I don't know that Oregon is the right job. I would wait.