• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UF’s Meyer feels he has ‘best’ job

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,973
  • Days Won:  469

ACF156D.gif

UF’s Meyer feels he has ‘best’ job

Big turnout greets coach at Lake Co. Gator Club event

04/20/05

FRANK JOLLEY

Email this story to a friend

EUSTIS — University of Florida football coach Urban Meyer’s presence at the Lake County Gator Club’s annual Gator Gathering Wednesday left local members of the “Gator Nation” salivating about the prospects for the upcoming season.

Meyer signed autographs for the packed house at the Lake County Fairgrounds Expo Hall before talking about his expectations for the 2005 season.

“I want our kids to graduate, compete for Southeastern Conference championships, be first-round draft picks and win national championships,” Meyer said.

Meyer told the crowd he left Utah for Gainesville because he felt coaching Florida was the “best” job in the country. He said he has been a fan of UF football since 1996, when the school won its only national championship.

“No matter where I was coaching, I’ve always tried to watch the Gators when they were on television,” Meyer said. “I loved everything about that (1996) team, from the way they executed on the field to how they conducted themselves off it. You never heard about players from Florida in trouble back then.”

Meyer complimented fans attending the function for their support of Gator football. He read off the attendance at other school’s spring football games.

“Auburn had 1,000 people, the team in west Florida (FSU) had 15,000, and the team in South Florida (Miami) had about 9,000,” Meyer said. “We had 58,000-plus fans at our game. “I know I’ve been here for just four-and-half months, but I’ve never been so proud as I was after that game. It just reinforced my belief that the Gator Nation has the best fans in the country.”

The stop was Meyer’s third of 22 scheduled visits with Gator booster clubs around the Southeast. His first two stops were in Orlando and Atlanta.

“At first, I was a little surprised at the turnout for these functions,” Meyer said. “It was nothing like this in Utah or at Bowling Green (Meyer’s first head coaching job). But I’m not surprised anymore. Florida fans are among the best and most loyal in the country, and this gives me the chance to meet them.

“It just reinforces my beliefs that this is the best job in the country.”

And Gator fans believe they have the best coach in the country. Many in attendance stood in line for up to an hour just for Meyer’s autograph and the chance to meet the coach they feel can return the Gators to national prominence.

Six-year-old Benjamin Jensen of Umatilla was first in the autograph line. Dressed in a replica Gator uniform, complete with shoulder pads, Jensen never took his eyes off Meyer as the coach signed a football for the youngster.

“He’s great,” Jensen said. “I can’t wait until I can play football for him at Florida.”

Umatilla’s Al Bischoff was second in line. A season-ticket holder for the past 30 years, Bischoff said the Gators will have the best coach in the country on the sidelines.

“Look at this turnout,” Bischoff said, scanning the crowd. “I got here early because I thought this place would be packed. It shows the kind of respect Coach Meyer has already gotten and that the fans believe we have found the right coach.”

Story Link

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Toolio

Auburn actually got 35,000 for their spring game.

The 1,000 figure was for their final scrimmage a few days after A-Day.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,973
  • Days Won:  469

I thought that was wrong - is Urban taking the Spurrier route and hitting the bottle hard already?

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Guess Urban is headed to Nebraska next.

Because Nebraska (located in the middle of NO WHERE) had a Spring Game record crowd of 63,416.

http://www.huskers.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=1&SPID=22&PALBID=1389&DB_OEM_ID=100&PAGE_ID=0&ZID=72395

Ubran's been drinking the Orange/Blue Kool-Aid alittle early.

Since this might be Chris Leaks last year at UF...Urban better win SOMETHING this year...especially with all that talent.

If not...he can end up like Zook...and learn its not the greatest job in the World...when you don't win.

KL

Guest Toolio

Yep, must be cool-aid.

There's no other explanation for a coach loving his job.

It can't be the school or the facilities or the talent.

Guest Toolio
Guess Urban is headed to Nebraska next.

Because Nebraska (located in the middle of NO WHERE) had a Spring Game record crowd of 63,416.

Nebraska always pulls in good crowds. There are no other major football programs in the state.

Also, they aren't in the middle of nowhere... Omaha is an hour away.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

Nebraska is also rich in history.  They have much more history than Florida.  What was their bowl streak?  34 straight years?

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Nebraska always pulls in good crowds. There are no other major football programs in the state.

Also, they aren't in the middle of nowhere... Omaha is an hour away.

Metro Area of Tampa/St Pete has more people ALONE then the entire STATE of Nebraska!! (Only 1.7 Million people live in Nebraska, over 17 Million live in FLA).

Yes...Lincoln, NE is in the middle of nowhere...and Omaha makes Jacksonville look like NYC!

KL

PS. Believe they had fans travel from over 20 different states and a few different COUNTRIES just to attend Nebraska's Spring Game! Those fans are amazing!