• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Battle at the Bounce House

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

On 9/20/2016 at 11:41 AM, Apis Bull said:

I'm sure it's structural sound.  However, as a structural engineer myself, we often make structure stronger than the need to be so they don't create an uncomfortable situation for the public.

I'm not a structural engineer, so you would know far better than I what was done.  But UCF went back after the initial season and added more support to the structure to reduce the bouncing effect.  Young students loved it, older rational fans hated "the bounce".  The kids called it The Bounce House because UCF would play Zombie Nation on the loudspeakers and the kids would bounce in time and thought it was fun to bounce.

As I recall, UCF did a study and found there was no imminent structural integrity danger.  However they did determine that leaving it in that state for a number of years would or could eventually weaken the structure and would shorten the safe lifetime of the structure.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

I'm not a structural engineer, so you would know far better than I what was done.  But UCF went back after the initial season and added more support to the structure to reduce the bouncing effect.  Young students loved it, older rational fans hated "the bounce".  The kids called it The Bounce House because UCF would play Zombie Nation on the loudspeakers and the kids would bounce in time and thought it was fun to bounce.

As I recall, UCF did a study and found there was no imminent structural integrity danger.  However they did determine that leaving it in that state for a number of years would or could eventually weaken the structure and would shorten the safe lifetime of the structure.

In other words, it was and is the Kia Sportage of stadiums. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Just now, ___ Eats It said:

In other words, it was and is the Kia Sportage of stadiums. 

Now why do you have to insult a nice car like the Sportage?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

52 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Now why do you have to insult a nice car like the Sportage?

No ****. My daughter has one and she'd rip his lungs out if she saw that comparison ....

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

4 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Fatigue could certainly weaken it over time.  In several instances, personal comfort (for lack of a better term) governs in structural design.  Elevated floors, for example, have limits on the amount of deflection allowed under load to avoid a, "trampolining effect."

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Per the Wiki page.

The "Bounce House"

The stadium has been referred to by some as "The Trampoline"[29] or "The Bounce House"[30][31][32][33] because the stadium flexes when fans jump during Zombie Nation's song "Kernkraft 400".[13] While many fans like this feature, some are uneasy with the bouncing. Stadium officials claimed the stadium was structurally sound, and an independent contractor confirmed that the bouncing will not damage the stadium and shorten its expected 50–year useful life. Still, a project was begun prior to the 2008 season to reinforce the stadium superstructure and mitigate the bouncing effect.[34] While the bouncing has been greatly reduced, it is still noticeable, and sometimes enough to shake TV cameras during televised games. For the 2010 Conference USA Football Championship Game, television presenter ESPN2 set up a camera position outside of the stadium to eliminate camera bounce caused by fans.[35]

2 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

Per the Wiki page.

The "Bounce House"

The stadium has been referred to by some as "The Trampoline"[29] or "The Bounce House"[30][31][32][33] because the stadium flexes when fans jump during Zombie Nation's song "Kernkraft 400".[13] While many fans like this feature, some are uneasy with the bouncing. Stadium officials claimed the stadium was structurally sound, and an independent contractor confirmed that the bouncing will not damage the stadium and shorten its expected 50–year useful life. Still, a project was begun prior to the 2008 season to reinforce the stadium superstructure and mitigate the bouncing effect.[34] While the bouncing has been greatly reduced, it is still noticeable, and sometimes enough to shake TV cameras during televised games. For the 2010 Conference USA Football Championship Game, television presenter ESPN2 set up a camera position outside of the stadium to eliminate camera bounce caused by fans.[35]

The Kanigit nerd who wrote that is probably the one trying to already change the USF-UCF rivalry page ....

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Someone should add that is also known as the frying pan or the wok

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

Someone should add that is also known as the frying pan or the wok

If I hear a tv announcer using one of those terms, I'm suing for copyright infringement ....

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

The Kanigit nerd who wrote that is probably the one trying to already change the USF-UCF rivalry page ....

200_s.gif